main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did The Prequels Make The Jedi Boring?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by PaulWrightyThen, Jan 19, 2016.

1. PaulWrightyThen

PaulWrightyThen Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 11, 2016
    Really? I'll stand corrected but they certainly didnt feel that long. Must have been more entertained. :)

2. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    From a quick look the end fight in ROTS comes in at almost double the length of ESB. ROTS 13 minutes, ESB 7.

Bear in mind that was a really quick look. :)

3. Defensor

Defensor Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 23, 2015

Which is also something that happens in the OT. People talk. It serves either to provide characterization or move the story forward. Not even Michael Bay puts action in 100% of his movies.

Then if that's only your imagination, there's no sense in blaming the movie for not following it, is there?

And do we need to know all of them in order to remember a few? Tell me, do you know the names of every single X-Wing pilot on the Battle of Yavin?

This statement is completely subjective. Which is fine on its own - you can dislike whatever you want -, but we can't really discuss anything about it.

4. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    The whole thing is subjective which is why its fun to talk about it.

I certainly can't name every x-wing pilot. Just felt it diluted the Jedi a bit.

I just want folk to know I wasn't being 'trolly' with this thread. :)

But reading the initial post back I reckon it might have come across that way.

5. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Of course they did, othervise you wouldn´t even ask this question. For some people they did. Not for other people, though.

6. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    No, if they were a secret cult, the Jedi are nothing more than the CIA which makes their downfall......so what? I wouldn't care if some secret agent group disbanded cause I wouldn't know. Plus 20 Jedi can't be involved in a galactic scale war and have any difference unless they are superheroes. Plus didn't Obi-Wan say he was a general in IV?

7. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Leia called Obi-Wan "general", Obi-Wan said he was once a Jedi Knight as was Anakin Skywalker.

Actually, I think the opposite about the PT. I thought they made the Jedi actually MORE exciting. We got to see the Jedi in their prime. Not just a barely trained teenager fighting an old cripple locked in a sarcophagus.

8. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Well, it always amazes why so many people are mad about that. It is the right word (from Anakin) in the right time. The sand in the mind of Anakin means pain, slavery, poverty (rought, irritating, etc.). It is a symbol of all he hates. And all this couldn't exist on Naboo, because it is the place of the water, the life, the happiness. Soft and smooth. just like Padme is. Obviuosly she understands all that he says. Yes, he could say it in more elegant way, but come on, he is the boy of Tattoine, already grown up, but not in his social manners. So the scene looks very natural to me, I mean it corresponds comepletely to their characters.
    And one thing more amazes me: some ignorant people think that it is CGI. Astonishing.

Legolas22, Alexrd, Ezon Pin and 5 others like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    They were established as the guardians of peace and justice in the Republic, which is the opposite of mysterious drifters.

10. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    But the lightsaber part of the Yoda palpy duel only lasts 1 minute, the rest is them using the force against eachother,how did that bore you?. The stakes felt higher in ESB than in RotS,how?

AprilMayJune likes this.
  11. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

For me it was a terribly written line.

I've been to where they shot that. Its beautiful.

12. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    But why is terrible? I mean, of all the pompous, opera-type dialogue in SW (I already said that in PT even it looks more antiquated and for me that's fine) this line attracts special hate. Not " I get bad feeling about this: , not " you underestimate the power of...", but exactly this one. I'm curious because like I said, for me it is just a normal continuation of Padme's lines. How would you write it, for example?

13. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
  14. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    So according to that, the prequels had too much action, but had too much talking as well. Right.

To be honest, I felt they were "actually fighting" in all of the movies. The stakes never really changed, but the motivations behind each duel were all unique to each particular film. That being said, it's impossible to lump all the prequels together due to how vastly different the execution and circumstances for each duel were. Obi-Wan's duel with Grievous was simply to buy some time, whereas his duel with Vader later on had the fate of the galaxy in the balance, and was probably one of the most emotionally-investing.

Alexrd likes this.
  15. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I apologise for not making myself clear. I at no point claimed there to be too much action AND too much talking. I love action. In my case, the action didn't mean anything, it just felt like eye candy. And the talking was just a series of boring scenes with bad dialogue. Don't get me wrong, some of the dialogue in the OT was dreadful. Some of the action in the OT felt a little "Ok better put a giant space worm here", but the light sabre fights had heft. They felt urgent to me. They still do. Vader and lukes fight in ESB still gives me shivers and feels pretty brutal. Every hit feels big. And that fact that luke is being toyed with just makes it more exciting. The fight on Mustafar just had me rolling my eyes. 13 minutes of... stuff. "Its over, I have the highground..." So? Maul had the high ground. You beat him. Ah... it's poetry. A call back. I see. Meh.

But its all groovy. I love with all my heart Starship troopers. My wife hates it as much as I love it. We debate it a lot. same with 2001 space odyssey.

This has been a good thread. Some good points have been brought up :)

16. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

Do you dislike the entire Anakin vs Obi Wan duel? Does it bore you from the start or is it the length that bores you? I personally prefer the factory part of the duel over the lava part.

The ESB lightsaber duel IMO is great, but from the OT i prefer the throne room duel. Its more exciting because IMO its not as one sided as the ESB duel.

17. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Definitely the length. It starts of ok. Confined. Then there's that bit were they do that weird spinning lightsaber bit. You know the one, where they're just stood in front of each other. Its... odd.

I know what you mean about the throne room. It is great, I think I like the ESB one better because Vader is truly menacing in that. And of course it feeds into the 'Bring my shuttle' line which is really one of my favourite bits of the entire saga. In one line the tone and little wobble in his voice just sells how pee'd off Vader is at not getting Luke onside. Goosebumps.

CIS Droid likes this.
  18. CIS Droid

Oct 21, 2015

I admit that the spinning is...odd (though someone made a looping gif of it which is pretty fun so i dont hate it) but i love the Anakin Vs Obi Wan force push scene that follows directly after
    [​IMG]

Vader is indeed portrayed menacingly in the ESB duel and the shuttle line is great (i suppose you dislike the SE version of the scene?)

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  19. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    Yeah, the change robbed it of any gravitas and adding unused ROTJ footage in was ridonkulous. Force push-off is a good idea. Any looping gif is fun for me. :)

CIS Droid likes this.
  20. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The prequel duels were pretty good for the most part, the more choreographed nature of them can be reflective of the different skill level of the eras, but I can understand the criticism that the OT sabers looked like they had more "weight".

On the original topic, I think part of the reason the Jedi are perhaps less interesting in the PT is firstly that the OT mentors (Obi-Wan and Yoda) benefited from their mysteriousness, which was later filled in by watching the prequels.
    Secondly, we never see a Jedi develop in the same way we watch Luke. A significant part of Anakin's (plus Obi-Wan's, really) character development happens offscreen. With Luke we really experience his journey from his perspective. ESB has a lot of great character development, and watching a significant part of his training and experience makes the transition from from ANH to ROTJ make perfect sense.

PaulWrightyThen likes this.
  21. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016
    My friend, you just hit the nail on the head. I would have loved to have seen the Obi Wan and Anakin adventures.

'He's overly critical, he never listens'

'And he was a good friend'.

;) ;) ;) ;)

You win the debate.

darth elyk likes this.
  22. darth elyk

darth elyk Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    This was one of the biggest gripes I have with the PT. OB1/Anakin just do not come across as good friends. They flat out needed more time together showing that aspect on film.

Darth__Lobot and PaulWrightyThen like this.
  23. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    well there are a few Jedi compared to the population of the entire galaxy. And I understand that they aren't as people pictured them before the prequels but to me they don't make them boring. It's an interesting code and lifestyle they live by.

PaulWrightyThen and CIS Droid like this.
  24. PaulWrightyThen

Jan 11, 2016

I never imagined them swinging in pirate style and all being dashing rogues, it all just fell flat for me. Sad face. :(

ObiWanKnowsMe likes this.
  25. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Eh not really