main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did the Star Wars Saga....make you want to be a father?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by SB323, Jun 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SB323

SB323 Jedi Youngling

May 10, 2005
    Subject^. I know it may sound weird, but the star wars movies give me a certain view of fatherhood. In Revenge of the Sith, where Padme tells Anakin she's pregnant.

Padme: Annie, I'm pregnant.
    Anakin: That's.....that's...wonderful news.
    Padme: What are we gonna do?
    Anakin: (Anakin smiles) We're not going to worry about anything right now. This is a happy moment. The happiest moment of my life.

That scene made me want to be Anakin. Not because I would be a badass jedi, or that I would be muscular, or that I would be the chosen one, or that I would be doing Natalie Portman, or that I would have cool hair. Its because of the love and the happiness he shows when he finds out he's gonna be a father.

In ROTJ, when Anakin is a father, he saves his son by sacrificing hisself to kill Sidious. That is something I would do for my son. Fatherhood and love are two big themes in not only the Star Wars saga, but life.

I'm not saying I wanna run out and get a girl pregnant. Im only 14 years old. I know that being a father has HUGE responsibilties. If I got a girl pregnant now, I would be forced to dish out child support for 18 years. But in ten years, when I decide to have a baby, I will be the luckiest man ever. I know it sounds stupid, but its what I think. Lock if you must. BTW, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all who can relate to this thread.

2. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    I liked Anakin's honest and loving reply. Clearly he looks on the bright side of being a father.

It does distress me that I might have as hard a time as Anakin in understanding what a father needs to do. Knowing what we know: clearly Anakin should have followed Padame's advice, resign from the Jedi order, and live his life of attachments with his family.

I would hope that we can use that to make good decisions in our lives as well; if our career or hobbies are so demanding that we must make them our top priority, then we should not become parents (and perhaps, not spouses either!).

Anakin thought he could have things both ways; and that was just not realistic. I fear that, like him, I would become a father and only later realize what a poor father I was!!!

3. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Padme: Annie, I'm pregnant.
    Anakin: That's.....that's...wonderful news.
    Padme: What are we gonna do?
    Anakin: (Anakin smiles) We're not going to worry about anything right now. This is a happy moment. The happiest moment of my life

Reality check. I know your fourteen. So I will make this easy.

Unless they were married for a few years and trying to have a kid then this wouldnt be wonderful news. Anakins real response would be against the TOS. No guy is happy. Actually they are usually scared, freaked out and a bit angry. If ever a reason to fall to the dark side Padme telling him she was pregnant would make it quite easy.

Those EPT commercials arent true at all. If they really want to sell them honestly they would just show guys breathing a sigh of relief when it comes up negative and a guy almost passing out when he hears the news his girfriend is pregnant.

And no I dont want kids. I am happy with my goals without kids.

4. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    No, it didn't.
    I'm free, not chained down to anything.
    I'm too young--and you're far too young to think of having children.

Though, I wouldn't mind being married to Natalie Portman.

-Seldon

5. Kesel

Kesel Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 1999
    I did make me more interested in the idea of adoption. There are kids in the world who don't have a home and come from less than desirable origins. People like myself can provide for them and give them a loving upbringing. Just as long as I don't end up killed by a superlaser or government thugs after the kids are grown up.

6. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    From what I remember Anakin's first reaction, about Padme being pregnant, wasn't happy....IMO the expression he gave Padme after she told him felt like he was thinking oh no what have I done. Then he quickly puts on a happy face so Padme won't get upset.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Agreed, Mike. He was afraid for what would happen, but Padmé seemed happy, so he figured he should be too.

8. ZebulaNebula

ZebulaNebula Jedi Master star 5

Feb 10, 2005
    To me, it seemed he was showing multiple facets of a what is by it's very nature, complex emotional issue. He was scared stiff because he knew jack-**** about raising kids (most first-time parents are), and dreaded the responsibility(and the diapers). He was elated because his beloved wife and him had created a new life, which is cause for celebration.

BTW, before you ask, I'm not a parent. I've just spent too much time with first-time parents as of late.

9. YodaOz

YodaOz Jedi Master star 1

May 24, 2005
    The desire to have children is sometimes compelled by outside forces. The family will say 'when you going to get married and have children'. Or your wife will say 'I want to have children'. There may be reasons that a man has for wanting children. Sometimes it's carrying on the football legacy, or continuing the family business, or continuing the family name. None of that is a factor for me in wanting to have children. There is only one factor; Star Wars.

Star Wars has given myself a strong desire to have children. There will be nothing greater than sitting down with my future son or daughter and watching the Star Wars Saga with them.

10. tomkat364

tomkat364 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2005
    Watch the scene again. He smiles first, then understands the implications, then smiles again. His initial reaction is happiness, then concern, then happiness in spite of his concerns. And no, not every father is unhappy or concerned when the first pregnancy is announced. Perhaps people who aren't looking forward to their first child in the first place get scared, but if one is accepting of that possibility, it can definitely be a happy moment.

11. Moog

Moog Jedi Master star 1

Apr 23, 2003
    That's an interesting question.

I thought it was a nice scene, as you could see that he didn't know what to say, and we're led to believe he may be angry (by the music), but then he's happy, and you start to feel hope for Anakin, and you realise that being a father is a positive thing... and I think that is bound to plant positive seeds about fatherhood in the subconscious...

It's a tired cliche to think that all men would be negative/scared/angry though... or, more accurately, that they would actually show those emotions!!

12. Siaynoqsbride

Siaynoqsbride Jedi Master star 4

May 17, 2005
    No, that scene did not particularly make me want to have children. I mean, I look forward to having children later on in life, and I know that it will be one of my great joys. But not right now; it is too far off for me to see myself pregnant, let alone holding a baby. I know what you mean, though, about looking for the future.

Anakin's response was great! He immediately thought of the council and all that could happen, but then he relazed and allowed it all to pass as he thought of the future for his child, and his love for it and Padme.

Also, there is the infamous hsirbruching scene. Ignore all the stuff that comes after this one part- "Annie, I want to have our baby back home on Naboo. We could go to the lake country where no one would know . . . where we would be safe. I could go early-and fix up the baby's room. I know the perfect spot, right by the gardens."

She obviously is filled with as much hope as he is. Thinking about what could have been their future together is sadder, in a way, then thinking about what happened.

13. Akar

Akar Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 29, 2003
    You know, that scene irritated me. I think Anakin was angry and then pretended to be happy. It was just one morething to get in his way of galactic conquest - or on the other side of the token - some one to rule with him. After all, his deep-seeded desire was for galactic rule. But what really ruined the scene for me was Padme. Her dialog was stiff and lame.

I am a father and I never once felt as Anakin did, or appeared to. It was the biggest joy in my life. I was excited and happy. Now, not a day goes by when I'm not thinking about my two children.

Granted, kids aren't for everyone and each of us is entitled to our own opinion on the matter. But I love having kids.

Back to the topic, Star Wars never made me want to have kids. I grew up with the OT and viewed myself as more Luke than Vader. And while I know that SW is just a movie or more so a story, I would like to think that Luke would have been a noble father. One who taught his children how to be heroes. Unlike his dead-beat dad who was hell-bent on galactic conquest. Yes, Anakin saved Luke at the end but really, he had no impact on Lukes life except providing a model of what not to be. That's the last thing I want to be know for.

14. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    I am a father and I never once felt as Anakin did, or appeared to. It was the biggest joy in my life. I was excited and happy. Now, not a day goes by when I'm not thinking about my two children.

Yes, but was your marriage secret, threatened to destroy both you and your wife's careers, AND was it followed up by dreams of her dying? Let's get something clear, I don't agree with Anakin and Padme's decision to have their closet relationship. I thought it was selfish and dangerous...as it eventually proved itself to be. However, I don't read anything too unkind in his reaction. Anakin's response is fairly natural to me given those circumstances - shock, fear/concern, but then happiness. I'd actually find completely unbelievable of him to react only happily. He wasn't the only one concerned about it - just look how upset Padme is. For something that's so "wonderful," she sure doesn't seem it.

I simply can't imagine the majority of most new father *not* having the same emotions as Anakin, and I personally think that any father who *didn't* feel fear or concern at learning about the conception of their first child was awfully strange. Children change everything. Your whole life and way of thinking as you know it is gone - as I'm sure any parent here can attest to it. It's simply that Anakin wears his heart on his sleeve too openly, so it all comes out in a jumble, rather than hiding it all underneath happiness.

15. Kabal

Kabal Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    That's sort of selfish on your part, no?

16. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Selfish? I don't think so. Far too many people have kids who shouldn't, with untold misery as a result.

Wrong gender to be a father... but here goes anyway. I found Anakin's reaction much more believable than Padmé's to be honest. If first-time fathers are scared, how do you think most first-time mothers would feel? It's we who have to carry the kids, give birth to them, and suffer through all the discomforts of pregnancy. Let's not forget the dangers either.

17. Calamarian

Calamarian Jedi Youngling

May 4, 2005
    No actually it caused a very different reaction in me it made me realize how important it is to become politically active but that is a subject for another thread.

18. ___Obi-1___

___Obi-1___ Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 19, 2004
    No, quite the contrary...

It's made me cold and arrogant...

19. Ekkostar

Ekkostar Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    I'm a 20-year-old female and I have no interest in kids, either.
    Most girls my age usually get "baby rabies" now, which is usually why a lot of them are getting married so early in their lives.

I have an interest in going to college and becoming a career woman. I'm not worried about not having a man and all those other things. Being single is great and it has no baggage with it.

Okay, now I've gone off topic!

20. LemmingLord

Apr 28, 2005
    In the star wars movies, parenting is a selfish act and celibacy is a selfless act.

For Anakin and Amidala-can't-keep-their-clothes-on-Skywalker it is selfish for them to get married and have kids. Now it does turn out that their kids are going to save the universe; but that is NOT why the two of them got married or why they make procreative love to one another!

The only people we see in star wars who choose TO have kids are the adoptive parents... For Bail it is selfish to adopt Leia ("We've always wanted a girl of our own.")

The only people in the star wars universe of which we are aware who choose not to have kids are the selfless Jedi...

Considering George sees the Jedi as the good guys, I'm forced to the conclusion that George believes celibacy is less selfish than choosing to have a family. Not that George is all wise or anything, but this is a star wars forum afterall!

21. Kabal

Kabal Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 18, 1998
    My point is to people today who decide not to have kids because they want to do have all their time for themselves. Trust me, having a child is about as far away from selfish as you can get. I don't imagine many of you have children (I do) and when you have to get up 3 times a night to take care of them, you'll understand that it isn't selfish. You are giving up your life so you can teach them and raise them and help them contribute to society. You have to give up so much because of children. You all have it completely backwards.

Once you have children, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

22. TheForgottenJedi

TheForgottenJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2004
    Did the Star Wars Saga....make you want to be a father?

No way, lol. Being a 17 year-old Iam very experienced on the child side of things but Iam going to hold off for a good 10 years till I get to having any children.

That said, I do like how the Saga highlights the importance of mentors/fathers in life.

23. LemmingLord

Apr 28, 2005
    You have a point; many people do choose that path for less noble reasons than the Jedi; I think that there are many people who choose to have kids for equally selfish reasons (someone to love them, be dependant on them, someone they can dress up, someone who helps them fit in, someone "in their power," someone to help them achieve a kind of immortality, someone they can push around).

My point is that choosing to have kids or choosing not to have kids are neither innately selfish. There are people who have kids for noble reasons; their are people who have kids for selfish reasons; there are people who choose not to have kids for noble reasons; there are people who choosenot to have kids for noble reasons. I think for most people, their motivation is a mix of both.

And, to bring it all back to star wars, many children are "had" because people CHOOSE not to make a conscious decision on the matter. I mean, come on, Anakin isn't thinking "I'm making a baby!!!!" when he's making love to his wife; he's thinking "wooo hoooooo! feels good feels good feels good."

I'm not sure I can think of a noble reason to "twiddle your thumbs and don't consider the possible outcomes your actions may bring," which is what Anakin and Amidala appear to do.

On a side note, your commentary "wait until you have kids" is quite a dilema. Here I am, a human being with reasons both selfish and noble NOT to have kids, and you are saying that IF I have kids, I will find your interpritation, that parenting is ALWAYS a selfless act, to be true. Maybe I'm just selfish, but I am not so sure that "finding out who's right and finding out who's wrong" is a very selfless reason for me to have kids!

24. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    It's charming that a young person would find the pregnancy disclosure scene so romantic that it made him want to be a father someday. Some girl's gonna get lucky!

Personally, I think Anakin's reaction, the confused look that he has before saying how happy he is, is him thinking back to the moment it could have happened. Like, "OK, so how did THIS happen? When was it exactly? It must've been that time the rubber broke. Damn. OK, so I'm going to be a father, I have a new responsibility, so I'll take it like a man." And he wants Padme to be happy, so he's focusing on the happiness he feels in spite of all the difficulty. It's got to be a big ego thing to him anyway.

On the subject of having/not having kids: I decided before I was even capable of reproducing that I never wanted any, and at 42 I still don't. People think nothing of asking me why I don't want them, yet no one would ever dream of asking a parent why they chose that role. It's a personal thing. I have a zillion reasons, some selfish (I don't want the responsibility), some noble (I don't want to contribute to overpopulation and all the trouble that brings.)But the main reason is that I don't feel that I would be a good parent, so I have opted out. It was the best decision I ever made; I wish I had been so practical when getting my eductaion and planning for the future.

BTW: if anyone on these boards is expecting children, congratulations.

25. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000
    To be honest, this wasn't the kind of discussion I thought this thread was going to be about when I first saw the thread title.

About the pregnancy revelation scene, I don't Anakin was entirely happy about this situation -- it was more like pure shock. You could see the confusion in his face. You could listen to the music, how it went dark and moody...obviously Lucas said to John Williams that it should be like that because of Anakin's situation. Padme even asks "What are we going to do?" - Something that throws back to Attack of the Clones when during the fireplace scene they talk about their already busy lives, and the position they would be in if people found out if they had a relationship. It's more like Anakin was concerned about their positions, and thought "Oh, ****!", and then calmed down, and reacted like any loving father-to-be would act when he found out he's going to be a dad.

What I thought the discussion was going to be about, was whether the SW saga made me want to be a father for another reason. I thought it was going to be something like because of the joy and excitement it gave me as a child, would I like to be a father so I could see that same wonder and excitement through the eyes of my children...letting them experience what I experienced. To that end, I say, yes! I wish I do have children. The closest thing I have to that are my two young cousins. Their father is a Star Wars fan from '77. He was at the right age to be caught in the Star Wars headlights, so to speak. He was a huge fan as a kid, and now he has two children 10 and 6, they enjoy the films as well. I would have like to seen the looks on their faces during ROTS...Although, I would have probably been crying just seeing them smile and cheer through the films as I once had. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.