main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did they write Anakin correctly?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by SSIntimidator, May 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Of_Sith

Lord_Of_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 28, 2005
    Panto: shortened version of pantomime. Dramatic storytelling sans dialogue.

Well, I'm just confused. We're saying the same thing.

I think it's in *every* film with equal skill. There's not alot in the actual dialogue - characters are set up that way but they usually reach their apex in action not in dialogue.

You don't see it in the PT. Oh well. It's there. It's the *same* storytelling technique. I think it would help if you were a kid when you saw the PT and had 20 years to watch it & get used to it.

EDIT: Let me adjust that statement - GL *did* do things a little differently - he stretched Anakin's arc over three films. In the first film TPM he merely plants the seeds in AOTC we see those seeds take root & in ROTS they bear fruit. He did a similar thing with Luke but not in as much detail.

It's the *same* concept only he approaches it a little differently in terms of structure. Imagine if Han's turn came in ROTJ instead of ANH.

2. Darth_Blackbird

Darth_Blackbird Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2005
    You don't see it in the PT. Oh well. It's there. It's the *same* storytelling technique. I think it would help if you were a kid when you saw the PT and had 20 years to watch it & get used to it.

Don?t agree. I see the first two prequels as a poor effort at storytelling, because of the lack of character development and lifeless acting.

When I first saw the OT I was overwhelmed. So was my Dad. It?s not an age thing. The appeal of the OT was that adults and kids could both get into it. With every successive viewing it just got better. With Episodes I and II, I left the theatre thinking, ?Well, it wasn?t that bad.? Not that bad. For a Star Wars movie. That?s rationalizing. With each viewing those two just get worse and worse, and I seriously doubt anyone would be talking about them 20 years from now if the OT had never been made.

3. Ididitall4thewookie

Ididitall4thewookie Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 29, 2004

You may be right, but I think that where GL went wrong in the PT is the drastic jump in characterization from TPM to AOTC. Anakin's overriding characteristic and the reason for his turn is fear/anger. However, we dont see that, to any real degree, until AOTC. What Im saying is where the hell did that kid's attitude come from?

At least Luke's main traits (good nature, impatience, loyalty)are pretty consistent, even though, and this is where you are right, his emotional growth takes place over 3 movies.

I guess a lot of my beef is that we get first row seats for all the life changing stuff in Luke's life. We are there for some of that with Anakin, but like I said, I wonder what happened in those ten years to make a sweet kid an obsessive emotionally volatile adult. I dont remember ANYTHING in TPM that foreshadowed that, save the fact that I knew it was Star Wars and I knew this kid WOULD become Darth Vader.

4. Lord_Of_Sith

Feb 28, 2005
    I just think it's done in a different way. I think it's logical to infer that a character who is both thought of as "the chosen one" and not welcomed by the same people would develop an attitude problem. His first impression of the Jedi are of squabbling, arguing people. That's gotta make an impression. And it does - it is easy for Anakin to think of the Jedi as being like the Sith in ROTS. The Jedi Council are not shown as a group of Saints - we see them make mistakes, they have flaws. Having *seen* that and knowing what Anakin has been through, it isn't a leap for me and most other people to understand how he becomes deluded.

Lucas took some chances here but I think they *work*. In TPM a major theme is symbiotic relationships. That's how the PT works. Each character or group effects the other. Anakin is effected by the Jedi Council and its flaws.

5. Ididitall4thewookie

Jun 29, 2004
    I think it's logical to infer that a character who is both thought of as "the chosen one" and not welcomed by the same people would develop an attitude problem. His first impression of the Jedi are of squabbling, arguing people. That's gotta make an impression. And it does - it is easy for Anakin to think of the Jedi as being like the Sith in ROTS. The Jedi Council are not shown as a group of Saints - we see them make mistakes, they have flaws. Having *seen* that and knowing what Anakin has been through, it isn't a leap for me and most other people to understand how he becomes deluded.

It IS logical for you to infer that, and no its not a leap, but Id rather see it than have to infer it since it really is the driving force behind Anakin's thought processes. Instead, I kinda felt like I had it dumped in my lap.

6. Lord_Of_Sith

Feb 28, 2005
    >It IS logical for you to infer that, and no its not a leap, but Id rather see it than have to infer it since it really is the driving force behind Anakin's thought processes. Instead, I kinda felt like I had it dumped in my lap.<

Oh well, to me there is no difference. Let's stop back and forthing since it's not going to get us anywhere. I respect your opinion - film is very subjective & as Tolkien said of his epic, "With a very long story you can never satisfy everyone."

All I know is that the PT works for me. I feel for the characters, thrill at the action, am swept away by the scale & scope of the story, enjoy scratchin' my noggin' @ the plotting & politics & loose ends & enjoy the ambiguity of certain story elements. Some people don't see anything in SW *at all*!

7. Ididitall4thewookie

Jun 29, 2004
    Dont take it personally LOS, I just like debating. I respect your opinion too, and as much as I love Star Wars, I wish I loved EI and EII as much as you do.

8. Lord_Of_Sith

Feb 28, 2005
    "Dont take it personally LOS, I just like debating."

No prob. You are a very tactful debater. But I have nothing more left to say except, "Uh, I like 'em!".

Y'know over Xmas I was hanging with a friend of mine & we were talking about cinema & he went on about how he didn't like the PT, it was all FX & flat drama etc. A few months later I ran into him & he said, "I watched TPM & AOTC and y'know what? They're just like the old ones, it's all the same thing. You're right. They're awesome!" I felt very vindicated. So, once & a blue moon, people are converted!

9. DarkSithDrew

DarkSithDrew Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2004
    I have to say this, some of you claim that GL is a crappy wrighter.

Well how in the heck did he get you to a Star Wars forum, did he use a mind trick on you... :rolleyes:

Well mind tricks only work on the weak minded. ;)

10. JediStarKiller

JediStarKiller Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 2, 2005
    The transition from young innocent boy to evil lord of the sith seems rushed. And forced...its as if George is telling you this is how he acts, as to really showing you how and why he is going through these changes in his life.

Both Jake and Hayden were bad choices for anakin sure they resemble what could be a father figure for Luke. But since when did looks become more important then acting talents.

Who can forget the dumbest line I ever heard in all 6 movies. Its from AOTC when Anakin just killed the Sand People....he says... "Killed them. All of them... There dead."

Haha well duh. You just said you killed them. This line made me laugh so muhc when it was suppose to be the turning point toward the darkside. Bad writing and bad fleshing out of characters.

I guess as a fan I was expecting something more and better. But I have to settle for half stereotypical cocky whiny jedi boy to portray a young vader...or maybe I won't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.