main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Vader ever think of Padme?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi Master Rhys, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Mother of Dragons

Mother of Dragons Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Of course he did. I'm sure the first few months, even years after her death, he thought of her frequently, fueling his hatred/anger toward the Jedi, the Emperor, and himself. Probably in time his memories were dimmed but once he found out about Luke Skywalker, it was like the Celine Dion "It's All Coming Back To Me Now" video.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Pretty irrelevant really in my mind. The deed is done and that's it..Maul would've been gloriously fantastic if he was expanded upon left the eye socket.

3. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Isn't that why he apparently tried to kill Tano?

4. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    In the return of the jedi novelization it said that when Anakin was redeemed he thought of the fresh air, rosy garden and thought about his wife and then died, I can also tell by watching the film because he sounded very sad when Luke was asked to take his fathers mask off.

5. Anakin.Skywalker

Anakin.Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 11, 2016
    A lot in the EU says he thought about her.

Forgetting the EU, I, personally, think he tried to forget her, but perhaps Luke forced some memories back.

6. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    Every single day in that mobile casket. Padme was the only thing that kept him from loosing himself completely. Unlike the Jedi, the Sith use every bit of emotion and attachment to fuel their anger. And because of how everything happened, his hatred for the Jedi is inseparable from Padme's death. So, losing her is what drove him deeper into darkness. It was a requirement for his anger.

Once he saw Luke, he realized a piece of her was still alive, which means so was he. That's what brought Anakin back. It turns out, the Emperor's greatest tool against the Jedi, became the greatest weapon of his downfall.
    Because I assure you, had Luke and Leia been the product of a one night with some random girl, he wouldn't have cared. He would've watched his son fry till he was crispier than Colonel Sander's own recipe.

So really, Padme saved the galaxy.

7. Kronin

Kronin Jedi Knight

Nov 3, 2016
    Just about this argument I wanted make notice something related: that the Koren artist Hang Joc Ga created a web comic about a retelling of the original trilogy almost exclusively from the point of view of Luke Skywalker and adding from time to time links to the prequel trilogy.

In regard of events of the story slighty modified, I like the ending of ROTJ where Anakin leave his last thoughts to Padmé: while he was able to estabilishe a bond with his son, left to him the task to talk about his rediscovered himself to Leia and will have the possibility to meet again his master Obi-Wan as friend in the realm of the Force, there is no way for him to fix his tie with the woman that he loved.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Of course is not canon - in the movie Anakin dies with a smile and not melhancolic one - but I would have liked a similar turn of the events because I see it as a very plausible one. The thought of Padmé was definitely a good portion of what fueled Anakin's anger as sith and later his father's feelings.

8. darthtimetraveller

darthtimetraveller Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 9, 2015
    It would make for an excellent Vader-centric film set between ESB and RotJ.

oncafar and mihaitzateo like this.
  9. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000
    I'm sure Vader spent many years trying not to think about Padme but the moment he found out that the Death Star destroyer pilot is his son, Vader's memories of her began to resurface. By Return of the Jedi, Vader was shocked when he read Luke's thoughts and discovered Padme had given birth to a 2nd child who happens to be princess Leia. This caused Vader to rethink his own life and realized that everything he's done was all based on a lie so he kills the Emperor and is fatally wounded in the process.

10. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
  11. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    If Annakin was thinking of Padme from the time he barely knew her in TPM to the beginning of AOTC, the man surely was thinking about her the rest of his life, especially after the love of his life was killed.

oncafar likes this.
  12. JiangLover

JiangLover Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2016
    The love that he had for Padme will/would never go away. Even if it seems, it will always be waiting around the corner ready to pounce whenever his mind might wander there. Like anyone who has had their heart broken, he would try his best to forget, but it will never be 100% out of his mind. Not to mention it most likely hurt double the amount when he learnt she died. There is only so much that can heal, and I feel this would always be a fresh-half mended wound.

oncafar and Lady_Skywalker87 like this.
  13. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Someone started a thread to compare the choking Darth Vader applies to Padme compared to the choking Darth Vader applies to admiral Motti:
    http://boards.theforce.net/threads/rots-anakin-vs-obi-wan-after-padme-choke-is-underrated.50041762/
    I think that person is right.
    Anakin was actually warning Padme before he leaves on Mustafar, see my last post from that thread.
    I think Darth Vader was more interested about his children , than about Padme.
    If you remember the episode II of Star Wars, there Anakin and Padme are in a wonderful place,on a green pasture with flowers.
    Anakin tells there that he would agree more with a dictatorial way of ruling the galaxy, than with democracy.
    If we calculate who lost and earned more, from the love of Anakin and Padme, is actually Padme that loses a lot and the democratic Senators and
    is Darth Sidious and Anakin which wins a lot.
    To answer your question, Darth Vader was thinking maybe,some times, at Padme but he was not thinking too much at her.
    He was thinking most of the time how to overthrow the Emperor and take the rule of the Galaxy.

14. Darth Jaster

Darth Jaster Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 5, 2017
    I do not think that Vader thought about Padme at all because that was a memory of his past self, something that Vader wanted to distance himself from as much as possible. Having lost everything, Vader fully delves into his role as a sith and attempts to wipe out all remnants of Anakin Skywalker. SPOILER FOR TV REBELS AHEAD, This is evident in his most likely murder of his former apprentice Ashoka in the tv series Rebels.

ps: is there a way to censor some text until one hovers over it so

15. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    It would be impossible for him not to st least once as in the suit post Rots, but he probably thought of her less by the start of the OT. Even during this period however, he couldn't have completely forgotten her.

16. padme.sky

padme.sky Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2016
    Oh he did, the Vader comic show it.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Hey everyone, I just thought I would share this discussion video since its relevant to the topic...as fan, it delights me to no end seeing headcanons I've kept
    for eleven years being consider actual story line possibilities by fellow fans.:D

This painting shown at video tugs on my heart...

[​IMG]

Padme’s funeral by Lucas LEGER
    =((

Exactly, beautifully said! We are talking about a guy who thought of his lady love every day when they when they were apart the first time... I just cannot see the man in the suit NOT doing that be it with hate or love..specially since Padmè was the "conscious" aspect of Anakin's catalyst to the Dark Side.

18. padme.sky

padme.sky Jedi Padawan

Oct 30, 2016
    Great video! I love that idea.. if only!

19. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I agree with this. I think he used that pain, along with the knowledge Palpatine LIED to him, as added motivation. But at some point he moved on, embraced the Darth Vader persona and kicked all sorts of ass. Then Luke came along.

20. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i guess i try to simplify this as anakin would have thought about padme and as we find out anakin never completely dies in vader. and i am sure vader would be in pain about everything he lost for years and years after (if anakin was gone in him, it wouldn't hurt anymore). i thought he probably numbed it out eventually (possibly), but when he finds luke, it would start coming back. i'm not sure if don't think it would have come back in his conscious mind right away (i find things slowly rise from the unconscious... and at the point i am aware that's when i see how it's been rising, or sometimes i feel it rising, but i don't know what it is yet). maybe he only remembered her again as he was dying. i mean, after he finally did numb it out, feeling more grounded in being darth vader (believing the name anakin no longer has any meaning for him), she can't be in his conscious memory.

21. IMightRegretThisUsername

IMightRegretThisUsername Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 19, 2016
    Exactly. It's like her death planted a seed of regret that burdened him the rest of his life. He always viewed the dark side as being stronger and the Sith/Empire as being a better way of life in the galaxy. As corrupt and inadequate as the Jedi and the Republic were, and as much pain and confusion they had put him through, her death was the one thing he could not blame them for. He would put on his helmet go out slaughtering hundreds of rebels, venting his frustration and self hatred on others. But when he came back to his chamber he had the face the hard reality, that it was his anger that killed her, and no dive into the dark side could bring her back. Of course, it would be ridiculous to think anything he did could, but that's the exact thinking that made him turn against the Order.

"He even had the power to save the ones he loved from dying"
    "Learn to know the dark side of the Force, and you will be able to save your wife from certain death."
    "To cheat death is a power only one has achieved, but if we work together, I know we can discover the secret."
    "Do what must be done Lord Vader..Only then will you be strong enough in the dark side to save Padme."
    "Love wont save you, Padme; only my new powers can do that."

In reality, Anakin had knew this power all along, and yes it was learned from the Jedi. But it was also from someone without these force sensitive abilities. In the Emperor's throne room it hit him then and there."Damnit..All this time..How could I be such a fool?" The "secret" power was love and compassion. Because Padme left a piece of herself in his memories, she saved Anakin from dying. Every moment of regret of losing her was every piece of evidence that the dark side was not the path to achieving his goal which kept his path of redemption alive. Once Luke showed him what he had learned from his mother and from the Jedi, he knew he could have one more attempt at saving the one he loved. No longer would he have to endure the constant suffering of knowing he made the biggest mistake of his life. Instead, he could go out knowing he had achieved what he always wanted, in the memory of the person he cared the most for.

22. SouthernYankeeJedi

SouthernYankeeJedi Jedi Youngling

Jan 30, 2017
    Lady_Skywalker87 beat me to posting a video and picture lmao! But, yea that's what I was gonna say. That he visited her grave and that before then he had struggled with the reality he found himself in.

If anyone is interested, Fact Free also had a good video on this:

And I really like the pic in that video.

[​IMG]

What I also find interesting is that it was Anakin's unbridled love that ultimately led to Padme's death. A very tragic ending indeed. It may also be a warning to not only love with one's heart, but to with one's brain as well (something Anakin rarely did).

23. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Given all the materials so far, I would say he's trying not to think about her because it's too painful to think about it but there are moments where we see brief memories of her, usually triggered by something that reminds him of her but then he's trying to repress them.

24. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    yeah I think he does but its to painful so he pushes it away and hides in the dark side until his son comes along.

25. PMT99

PMT99 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 23, 2000

But once Vader found out that Luke is alive, his memories of Padme would eventually resurface. Then, learning about Princess Leia being his daughter upon reading Luke's mind caused Vader to give up the dark side and acknowledge himself as Anakin Skywalker once again during his final moments.