main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Vader feel bad?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by JBRO13, Jan 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JBRO13

JBRO13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 29, 2003
    "And you're sure the homing beacon is secure aboard their ship? I'm taking an awful risk, Vader. This had better work."

"They're tracking us, it's the only explanation for the ease of our escape."

Ok, so, I understand that the Empire placed a tracking device on the Falcon and let them escape so as to track the location of the Rebel Base. However, the way Tarkin speaks, makes it seem as he wished to just destroy the Falcon, the plans, everything, at the most convenient time, and find the Rebels on their own accord, and it was Vader's idea to let them go.

My question is this: does Vader let them go because he feels his children's presence, because he feels it's the most strategic plan, or is it something else?

Also, since, in turn, letting them escape contributes to the destruction of the Death Star, the deaths of thousands, including Tarkin, did Vader feel any remorse? Did his not-being-able-to-hit-Luke-after-being-locked-onto-him-and-firing-about-8-times contribute? Was he depressed at all?

2. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    He lets them go because he figures they're going to the rebel base and the tracking device allows the Imperials to find out where the base is, and the DS can follow.

I doubt very much that Vader felt any remorse about the DS blowing up. He's too evil to feel remorse. Besides, he wasn't all that enthusiastic about the DS: "Don't be too proud of this technical terror you have spawned" or whatever it is. I am sure however that he knows he's in deep poodoo with the Emperor for not preventing the DS's destruction, so he's probably angry, frustrated, and scared. But he also knows the pilot who did it is Force-sensitive, and he sure as hell wants to know who it is. He does not know, at this early stage, that Luke is his son and Leia his daughter. He presumably finds out about Luke from the Imperial spy network, and learns about Leia from reading Luke's mind on DSII.

It's only later, when he's interacting with Luke, that he begins to feel remorse; I think he definitely feels it in ROTJ when he tells Luke it's too late for him, and Luke responds by saying "then my father is truly dead."

3. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    I'm sure he lied to the Emperor and said letting the plans go was all Tarkin's idea.

4. Rogue_Leader7

Rogue_Leader7 Jedi Youngling

Dec 30, 2003
    SSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

you'll get us all killed! it WAS all Tarkin's idea! you should know THAT!

(be careful man, u don't wanna piss off Vader's spirit, but I got ur back ;) )

5. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    The most logical explanation is that Vader felt that the tracking-device idea held the best promise of locating the Rebel base, and convinced Tarkin to go along with it.

There's nothing to suggest that Vader felt any remorse at the time, other than fearing what might happen to him when the Emperor found out about the Death Star's loss.

6. JBRO13

Mar 29, 2003
    "The most logical explanation is that Vader felt that the tracking-device idea held the best promise of locating the Rebel base, and convinced Tarkin to go along with it. "

Mind trick?

7. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I think for all the evils that were perpetrated by Darth Vader, the only one he truly feels sorry for is when those poor, innocent, cute, cuddly little Jawas were senselessly slaughtered by the Stormtroopers he sent to the surface of Tatooine.

He would sit alone each night in his meditation chamber...clutching his stuffed Jawa doll...sobbing in silence.

WHY?!?!?!

[face_mischief]

8. ObiwanJohn

ObiwanJohn Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 12, 2003
    Actually Tarkin is in charge on the DS and he was making sure Vader followed his orders. Of course it makes sense to track the Falcon straight to the rebels. Had the DS blown up Yavin IV the Rebellion would've been over, at least for a while.

9. JBRO13

Mar 29, 2003
    If they had just destroyed the Falcon as it tried to escape, then they would've eventually destroyed the Rebellion anyway (how're they gonna destroy the Death Star without the plans? For God's sake, they barely destroyed it WITH the plans).

10. Jedi_Hood

Jedi_Hood Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 10, 2000
    Mind trick?

Possibly, although in this case a little well-reasoned discussion probably did the trick.

Actually Tarkin is in charge on the DS and he was making sure Vader followed his orders.

In the Imperial hierarchy, Vader outranks Tarkin. Vader was the Emperor's #2 man - Tarkin was just a governer (albeit a very powerful one).

11. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    If they had just destroyed the Falcon as it tried to escape, then they would've eventually destroyed the Rebellion anyway (how're they gonna destroy the Death Star without the plans? For God's sake, they barely destroyed it WITH the plans).

The death star was to the Empire what th titanic was to all those who lived in that time period. They marveled at it, and belived it to be indestructable. Tarkin did not belive that he was in danger of losing the Death Star, he knew that if the tracking device didn't work and he let on of the Rebellions leaders go the Emperor would give it to him.

12. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Tarkin was a Grand Moff, which is a higher rank than governer, and in charge of the DS. He was also a governer of a region of Imperial space.

Notice how Vader backs down in the council scene when Tarkin orders him to stop choking Motti? Vader may be the Palp's right hand man but he actually has no formal rank in the Imperial Military.

13. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    If he has no rank why does he command the fleets in TESB and ROTJ?

14. Vuffi-Raa

Vuffi-Raa Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2004

As far as I know he didn't really command these fleets, but he was the right hand of the emperor, so all commanders and admirals had to act on his orders...

15. ObiwanJohn

Dec 12, 2003
    Because he's the Dark Lord of the Sith and Palp's right hand man. Himmler had no official rank in the military but he led the SS.

Also, Vader's not in command of the Imperial fleet. The Emperor is. Vader does have command of a fleet, the one shown in TESB, but the fleet at Endor is a different one and composed of different ships. Also, Piett is in charge of the fleet at Endor.

16. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Tarkin was a Grand Moff, which is a higher rank than governer

I'm pretty sure, and if if Bib is reading this he can back it up...Tarkin's actual rank was governor. Grand Moff is a "self grandeur" title.

"Enough of this...Vader...release him!".
    "I'm taking an awful risk, Vader...this had better work."

Tarkin was clearly the one calling the shots onboard the Death Star.

17. 1701

1701 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 18, 2003
    I think most of Vaders motives in ANH and ESB or based on cold logic mixed with hate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.