main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Vader feel regret, and sympathy for cutting Luke's hand off?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Jedi Master Rhys, Sep 19, 2016.

1. Jedi Master Rhys

Jedi Master Rhys Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2016
    As the title say's really, we all know how he lost his limbs, he must have felt something when he caused that amount of pain and distress to his son. He had told the Emperor, that they should not kill luke, but turn him. So he must have felt some emotion at that point for his son, prior to ROTJ.

What do you all think?

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Likely not. If anything else, he was thinking, ‘Thought so. You're not as powerful as you thought you were.’

3. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    No. He stopped the fight and made Luke sit up and listen, even if he was ultimately rejected.

oncafar and jc1138 like this.
  4. DarthZ07

DarthZ07 Jedi Grand Master star 2

May 11, 2005
    "That little twerp just lost my old lightsaber!"

5. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Im pretty sure he felt some emotion for Luke, considering he would rather recruit than kill him at that point. He probably didn't care about cutting Luke's hand off thought, because he considered it justified. He was too excited to recruit his son to care about a little thing like his hand.

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    No not my view although I do sincerely believe Luke regretted doing likewise to his father.

7. Darth Mikey

Darth Mikey Jedi Master star 3

Sep 7, 2015
    One of the old, now non-canon novels addressed this. In thinking about it afterwards, his thoughts were pretty much "Oh, well. Easily replaceable with a mechanical prosthetic."

So, no,he really didn't care.

Darth_Pevra, Darth Dnej and oncafar like this.
  8. Jedi Master Rhys

Jedi Master Rhys Jedi Youngling

Sep 9, 2016
    To me this really paints Vader a character I really do feel sorry for, in a whole new light. I know he killed thousands, but the fact he did that to his son, and showed no remorse is terrible.

The Supreme Chancellor and Sarge like this.
  9. Negotiator1138

Negotiator1138 Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 23, 2016
    I don't think so.

Although it is possible he did it to teach Luke. I think Anakin learned a valuable lesson when fighting Dooku, and maybe Vader was trying to give that same lesson to Luke, the hard way.

It sounds harsh, but it is actually pretty fatherly in my opinion.

Darth Dnej likes this.
  10. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    "Son, put that saber down. It's got youngling blood all over it!"

Jedi Knight Fett and Nintari like this.
  11. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Probably restrained himself to ''only'' a hand coming off. It's not like he hasn't completely dismembered others before if he's in a bad mood. He could have taken the whole arm, or choked Luke, or skewered him after the lightsaber went bye-bye. Chopping the kid's hand off and trapping him was the best result he could have expected.

oncafar likes this.
  12. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    If anything else, Luke got off wholly easy with the dismemberment. Vader could've taken off the whole arm, he had plenty of room and time to do just that.

13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    He was obviously in a rage when he actually did it; you can hear him practically growling just before, after Luke tagged him in the shoulder. Afterwards, he may have thought, "Spare the rod and spoil the child." Regrettable, but necessary. Remorse may have come later, after Luke chose to attempt suicide rather than join him, then Luke's initial attempt to reform him on the Endor Moon.

Erkan12 and The Krynoid Man like this.
  14. The Krynoid Man

The Krynoid Man Jedi Master star 3

Dec 24, 2015
    That's pretty much how I saw it too

15. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    He didn't sound regretful :p

16. Lukers

Lukers Jedi Master star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    I don't think Vader really cared - he possibly didn't even think about it. What is a hand or two? They can replaced and likely even stronger than the flesh that came before it. He probably thought it was like giving his son a lesson, showing Luke who is the man by disarming him in the most elegant fashion.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    "I have you now!"

Iron_lord likes this.
  18. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    One of them can be replaceable, but two ? I don't think so.

For using Force lightning one needs to have natural hands. That's the reason why Vader isn't using Force lightning.

19. AniLukeRey

AniLukeRey Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 6, 2016
    I don't think he regretted it while he was alive. As a ghost? He probably felt a bit bad, but then got over it.

20. IrB

IrB Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 16, 2016
    Maybe he regrets it later, when he is coming back to the light side in the second half of ROTJ, but I guess he doesn't regret it in TESB. He's still a Sith and until that moment he did much worst things to everybody else than to Luke, so in a sense he goes easy on Luke (relatively speaking of course), because he is sparing his life and limiting the damage. In any case, even if maybe he feels some small remorse, I guess he will dismiss it easy, telling himself plenty of excuses that were well pointed out in the other posts here above: "It was necessary. I stop the fight. It's just an hand, easy to replace. I taught him a lesson, etc." Anyway, I doubt Luke's hand gave him sleepless nights.

21. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    Probably not. Luke was getting the upper hand in the fight, and he did what he needed to do. Maybe right after his turn in ROTJ, but until then? Gonna go with no.

22. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    Vader was ruthless in ESB. Completely embracing the dark side. He felt no regret or remorse for his son. If anything, he may have felt enraged by the fact his son didn't take his offer.

Nintari and Jedi Daniel like this.
  23. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    Vader was always in conflict. Including ANH and ESB.

24. Mr. Forest

Mr. Forest Chosen One star 6

Nov 1, 2012
    Is this a serious question? Just watch Vader's facial expressions and all will be revealed.

25. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Considering that seconds later he was asking Luke to join the Dark Side and dropping the ‘I am your father’ bombshell, I think it's safe to say he didn't care.