main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Vader really say...

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by rpvee, Oct 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I think the film still implies it, though. I was spoiler-free, so I didn't know about the Obi/Padme angle before going into the theater, and I just assumed Anakin's vision of Obi-Wan with Padme when she gives birth followed by his suspicious questioning of when she last saw Obi-Wan was supposed to imply that he wondered whether he was really the father. And of course, it's made much more blatant on Mustafar when he sees Obi-Wan on the ramp on Padme's ship.

Really, who better for Lucas to draw off of than Shakespeare (Othello)? I wouldn't have wanted that to be the sole reason for his fall - way too emo or something - but it was a nice element to pull into the story as a factor in his transformation.

2. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005

Pod Race = Nascar/Playstation $. Simple as that. I can think of a thousand different ways to get Anakin into the jedi's possession that would work better.

3. Darth_Drachonus

Darth_Drachonus Jedi Master star 3

Oct 4, 2005
    But will those thousand different ways also gain the Jedi the required money needed for the spare parts and hyperdrive replacement? The pod race was about more than getting Anakin freed, that was just one of the benefits of if Anakin wins, the other was the Jedi get to continue their mission without revealing themselves to the Hutts

4. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003

The whole trip to Tattoine in TPM was stupid, because of where Luke ends up. Saying that Vader would never return there due to his fear of re-awakening Anakin was even more contrived.

He could have been the chosen one anywhere in the galaxy, and force-feeding us all that fluffy-dialogue and corny over-the-top plot points was why TPM got smashed by the critics. Apart from Darth Maul, (young) Sidious and Qui-Gon Jinn... TPM gave us very little.

I think vader was saying that he was sure that "Lucas is gonna edit-out all of my dialogue so I'll just mumble right here."

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    You're forgetting that ANH made it clear that Anakin was from Tatooine. Changing that would have been stupid.

6. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005

I think that it would have shown maturity on the part of Vader.

He knows that he lost his head and did not master himself on Mustafar despite having the major advantage, and it lead to a huge mistake.

It would not be prefect according to some fans, but what ever is in the Star Wars universe?

It would be workable at the very least.

Actually, it would have perhaps turned out to be a nice touch.

7. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    When?

8. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003

LUKE: No, my father didn't fight in the wars. He was a navigator on a
    spice freighter.

BEN: That's what your uncle told you. He didn't hold with your
    father's ideals. Thought he should have stayed here and not gotten
    involved.

9. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Since the Jedi didn't free Shmi, she could have easily been relocated to Tattooine in AOTC. Anakin still could have sensed her trauma, or got a postcard at the Jedi Temple that mommy had moved...

He shows up to rescue her and Owen says: "Stay... there's nothing you can do..."
    Anakin says: "That's the difference between us. Now step aside, I'm going to save my mother."

10. Ominous

Ominous Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2004
    Like what?

"Come on Master! Give me three more good ones!"

Or better yet...

"I'm gonna rip off your head and crap down your neck!"

11. Darth_Drachonus

Oct 4, 2005
    Granted, but it still looks like Anakin's telling Obi-Wan '**** you'. It took one reviewing to notice it, I howled with laughter

12. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Maybe he's saying it to the director! [face_laugh]

13. Darth_Drachonus

Oct 4, 2005
    Yanno, that could be, I never thought about it like that. Maybe Hayden's picturing Ewan as the Flannelled One.

14. ThePriminister05

ThePriminister05 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 28, 2005
    One of my favorite dialogue moments in the novel of Sith was when Vader and Obi-Wan are fighting(in the control room I beleive) and theres this exchange:

Vader: You hesitate, the flaw of compassion-
    Obi-Wan: It's not compassion. It's reverence for life. Even yours. It's respect for the man you were. (Sighs) It's regret for the man you should have been.
    Vader:(He uses both the force and his body to crash Obi-Wan against the wall) I am so sick of your lectures!

Fantastic. I wanted more dialogue, but Lucas thought it would slow down the action. For a fight like this, I don't need just fighting and action, I also want some dialogue. Hopefully we'll eventually get to see atleast the deleted parts, even if it's not in the movie. Even if theres not visual effects, theres digital wizards around here, maybe someone will take on the challenge of finishing those shots.

15. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    EDIT: Yes.^^^^^^^^

Then Ewan would be getting choked for real.

16. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Exactly. They would have also made the transition from the action-heavy duels of the Prequels to the more dialogue-heavy duels of the OT by having one duel that has both.

17. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Yes. Its a shame that we did not get to see what was intended. What we got what was the "Second-Guessed" version... or as I like to say... the "Second Best" version.

18. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    Indeed, what we saw on screen in the climactic ROTS duels on Coruscant and Mustafar were pure physical confrontation between Jedi and Sith. The philosophical opposition elements voiced so eloquently by Palpatine to Anakin in the Opera are now totally missing. In fact, as noted above by PM05, Master_Skywalker & Sx3, ALL meaningful interactive dialog is essentially absent from the film as the duels begin.

Lucas cinematically over-emphasizes the Sith physical 'power' elementl, but the complete Sith power philosophy embodies all attributes of human nature and ability, chief among them intellect and reason that facilitate cunning and convincing deception. Palpatine perfectly embodies these points, IMO.

19. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Palpatine is certainly the ideal counterpoint to someone who tries to make the duality of the Jedi and the Sith include the ability to reason as Palpatine perfectly embodies if anything the human ability to reason and justify things run amok without any sense of morality to prevent him from committing evil deeds. However that's been something consistent with the Sith as Darth Vader in the Original Trilogy also shows a similar intellect even if it seems to be absent from his younger self. It's part of why I think one can argue that Vader is in many ways the greatest of Sith apprentices just as Sidious is of the Sith masters.

20. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I don't understand the departure from what made lightsaber duels... classic. The history-laced repartee between Vader and Ben, not to mention the awesomeness of Vader's ESB DunMoch. ROTJ had the best dialogue of all the duels. Was there anything more evil than the way Vader said: "If YOU, will not turn to the darkside... then, perhaps she WILL!"

Two things to add. One, the Sith were not shown in the PT to be what we were told they were. If anything, the Sith as a whole were dumbed down. (save for Sidious goin bonkers in the Senate)

And Two, removing the dialogue diminishes the palpability of the tension between the former 'brothers'. The start of Yoda's and Sidious' showdown had it, and for whatever reason Lucas left it in Sid's office when they ascended into the rotunda. But back to Vader and Kenobi on Mustafar, the emotional weight of their confrontation suffered greatly from the director's imposed silence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.