main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Vader want the emporer dead?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29, Jun 6, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
    If there's already a topic about this, please lock this and provide a link to it.
    Anyway, do you think that Vader wanted Palpatine dead so he could become the master, with Luke as his apprentice?

2. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Of course, Obi-Sky29!

Vader in ESB: You can destroy the Emperor; he has foreseen it. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!!

3. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    Well, he did kill the Emperor. :p

4. Jedi_Master201

Jedi_Master201 Jedi Knight star 5

May 5, 2001
    I'm not sure what he wanted at that point. Part of me says he wanted to kill him and rule the Empire himself, but another part of me feels like he didn't WANT to rebel. That he NEEDED Palpatine's guidance and control.

5. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    I always thought Vader wanted Palpatine dead and rule the empire himself but then I started wondering... Why, if he wanted Palpatine dead, did he block Luke's lightsaber attack? Luke was gonna strike down Palpatine, he would have gone to the dark side and Vader would have had everything he wanted. So why did he block the Lightsaber?

6. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    There's a thread about that, of course. With the Force you may be able to find it!

It boils down to the fact that Vader was biding his time, waiting for Luke to turn to the Dark Side before ganging up on the Emperor with him. He knows Luke couldn't destroy Palpatine with a single saber-blow, anyway.

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    If Luke turned to the dark side, one of the 3 Sith would have to be killed, leaving the Rule of Two intact.

8. Da_Joker

Da_Joker Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2003
    I reckon he did since he killed the emporer.

9. Jedi_Humaira_Blaine

Jedi_Humaira_Blaine Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 27, 2003
    If I remember right, the novelisation mentions something about this... :confused: I think Vader had been thinking about eliminating Palapatine-especially when Luke entered the picture.

The whole father and son ruling the galaxy thing probably appealed to him I guess ;)

Hmm, just wondering if the novelisations have any bearing here? :confused: I realise that the books always offer more insight. Afterall we don't always see everything on screen.

And about killing the emperor at the end...yeah, it did prove the point. But I think Vader throwing the Emperor into the Death Star's core was due to the realisation that what he was doing to his son was wrong. He had reached that point when he (Vader) needed redemption. Ooookaaaay, that was kinda deep. 8-}

Hmm, just my humble opinion of course... ;)

Humaira

10. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    I think it was rather obvious he did, considering he was attempting to lure Luke to join him so that they could destroy Palpatine.

11. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    I think it was rather obvious he did, considering he was attempting to lure Luke to join him so that they could destroy Palpatine.

But then why did he block Luke's lightsaber swing? It would have killed the emporer.

12. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Obi-Sky29, I posted this earlier:

There's a thread about that, of course. With the Force you may be able to find it!

It boils down to the fact that Vader was biding his time, waiting for Luke to turn to the Dark Side before ganging up on the Emperor with him. He knows Luke couldn't destroy Palpatine with a single saber-blow, anyway.

13. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    Why couldn't Luke have destroyed Palpatine with a single lightsaber strike? Palpatine may be powerful but he's still human, right?

14. Naberrie_SkyWalker

Naberrie_SkyWalker Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 30, 2002
    until he found out about Luke I think he was loyal servant..prepared to obey Palps every whim. After he found out about Luke it became a different story. In ESB he was still in Sith mode..wanting Palps dead so that HE could be master and Luke his apprentice. He may have belived something of the father/son crow he fed Luke, but I doubt it. In ROTJ he killed emporer to save his son..prolly the first completely selfless act he had ever done..and by doing so was able to redeem himself.
    But then why did he block Luke's lightsaber swing? It would have killed the emporer.
    becasue Luke was striking out in anger(darkside) which means the emporer had already won. Luke could not have killed emporer with one blow..light sabre would have never touched him. Anakin/Vader knew this and his conflicting emotions got the better of him there.

15. Dark_Lord_Thrawn

Dark_Lord_Thrawn Jedi Youngling

Jun 6, 2003
    Since Vader killed the Emperor not on accident, he probably wanted him dead.....

16. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I don't think he did. If he wanted him dead he would not have been like "I must Obey my master!" he would have been like "Come on Luke, lets you and me kill this old man."

17. jediknight88

jediknight88 Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Well in the Shadow's of the Empire book it tells how Vader/b] wanted to over power the emporer with Luke by his side and rule the galaxy

18. -_-_-_-_-_-

-_-_-_-_-_- Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 28, 2002
    This whole statement of a lightsaber blow not being able to destroy Palpatine makes me all the more interested in wanting an explanation of why he is so feared in Ep.III.

19. MetalGoldKnight

MetalGoldKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    I think Vader blocked Luke because he wasn't quite sure where his loyalties were yet. He was torn between serving his master, Palpatine, and saving his son, Luke. Up until the very last moment possible, when Luke was only seconds away from death at the Emporer's hand, Vader was still unsure.

20. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Vader in ESB: You can destroy the Emperor; he has foreseen it. Join me, and together we can rule the galaxy as father and son!!

Vader in ROTJ: I must obey my master.

How to reconcile these seeming contradictions? First Vader's keen on offing the old guy, then he swears his obeisance cannot be broken.

Of course, on Bespin, the Emperor was nowhere to be seen. Vader could profess his true feelings--that he wanted to usurp the Galaxy--to Luke; whereas on the Death Star II, Palpatine is close at hand--in the same room, in fact--and Vader is compelled to profess servitude to his master.

As to the Emperor being invulnerable to light sabers, who knows? Perhaps it's a skill only a Sith Lord can have, as when Vader blocks Han's laser blasts on Bespin.

21. Obi-Wan_Skywalker_29

Mar 1, 2003
    I think Metalgoldknight may be right. Vader wasn't sure what he wanted to do. He was very conflicted indeed.

22. mjerome3

mjerome3 Jedi Knight star 6

May 11, 2000
    Vader wanted to kill the Emperor. He would rather have his own son for his apprentice than being a slave to the Emperor, who wanted Vader ousted by his son anyways.

23. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999

Vader in ROTJ: I must obey my master.

How to reconcile these seeming contradictions?

I'm not sure there really is a contradiction there. Vader says "I must obey my master," not "I want to obey my master." If he's afraid of some power Palpy has over him, it makes sense that he would appeal to Luke to help him do his dirty work and overthrow the Emperor in ESB, yet say in RotJ that he alone isn't willing to try it. Vader is taking a calculated risk - he thinks his chance of success is greater if Luke helps him, so he's only willing to make his power thrust if he knows Luke will support him.

24. PhantomMenace

PhantomMenace Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 20, 2001
    In Return of the Jedi, I've always thought that Palpatine wanted Luke to kill Vader, so that he could have a new and younger apprentice.

"Take your father's place at my side."

If this is true, this could have meant that Palpatine had four apprentices in his liftime, probably a record number for any Sith!

25. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    Vader is taking a calculated risk - he thinks his chance of success is greater if Luke helps him, so he's only willing to make his power thrust if he knows Luke will support him.

Dark Lady Mara, you've cut to the core of it yet again! Brava.

PhantomMenace, yes! Vader and Palptine want to kill each other; Vader to assume control of the Galaxy, Palpatine to take on a potentially more powerful apprentice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.