main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did "we" make Lucas sell?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by WhiskeyGold, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhiskeyGold

WhiskeyGold Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2001
    Do you think the fan base that bash Lucas at every turn (some of them not all) made him want sell off Star Wars (maybe mad him sick of Star Wars)? Not only that I saw him doing interviews for Red Tails and it would also turn in to a Star Wars interview. With Star Wars sold he can work on other things with out having to talk about Star Wars and also, he just put to rest the bashing and let them bash Disney. I think Lucas even said a few months ago something like "Why should I make moves anymore when everyone attacks me and hates what I do" (i dont have the qoute, its something like that).

Found it "“Why would I make any more when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”

Padme501st likes this.
  2. Pimpsy

Pimpsy Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    Well, I think that its obvious hes disappointed with the fan's reactions to his recent handlings of the star wars franchise. But I'm pretty confident hes not sad or regretful of what he did. That's just not the way most artists think. I think he just realized he doesn't want to work himself to death (literally), he needs to retire, and he may or may not have lost his touch.

3. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    He's been planning to retired for some time, but I think the nay-sayers, specifically the ones who took a step too far, made him retire early and hand it off to Disney early. Oh well, if this thing doesn't work out, at least I'll know who to go after. :p

4. ObiWanandonly

ObiWanandonly Jedi Padawan

Sep 23, 2012
    He's mentioned on several occasions that he questions whether to keep making SW movies when people complain and critisize him so much for what he's done recently. Honestly, the people who complain about GL "ruining" their childhood make me laugh. It's a great franchise, and I have a lot of respect for it; and yes, I have opinons and views, but they are just opinions. I don't think GL could ruin SW when he is the one who created it. He's said before that he doesn't really make SW films for the die-hard fans, he just does it because he likes to tell stories (and he is good at it). His job isn't to please fanboys/fangirls. I think a big part of his decision was knowing that people can continue to tell stories set in the SW universe, and now he's giving them that chance. Maybe at one point in the past he considered letting SW end at ROTS, but thankfully he changed his mind. I doubt when he's making films he asks himself "will the fans like/approve of this? He just makes films, and like any other film, some people will love it, some people will hate it. I don't think fans' reaction to his work in the SW franchise influenced him at all. Smart people learn to ignore the haters, and GL is a smart guy.

BDOT, Veloz, aalagartassle and 2 others like this.
  5. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT WAIT
    LUCAS CARES ABOUT FANS?
    :)
    In all seriousness, though, Lucas has indicated that he doesn't care about Star Wars THAT much. And guess what? I'm fine with that. Lucas owes us nothing.

6. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    yep I think he was sick of all the bitching....he worked hard and no matter what it will never be good enough

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  7. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    You can be sure about that!

All that "Goerge, you raped my childhood" maniacs caused this!

This is the ultimate punishment. Selling Star Wars to D I S N E Y... [face_laugh]:_|[face_sick]

8. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
  9. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    LOL, no.

I was at CV and the reaction he got was deafening. I know we think ppl out there actually doing things live and die with every word posted on the Internet but in RL he still gets his ass kissed plenty.

10. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    Not a chance. ^^ I was there and remember that as well.

He's done with making Star Wars movies and wants to make his small, artsy-type movies. Seriously, good for him.

11. honeybadger

honeybadger Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    Who cares? As long as he doesn't write the next script we're all good.

KilroyMcFadden likes this.
  12. Master Jedi Kenobi

Master Jedi Kenobi Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    He’s been in the game now for 50 years so maybe it feels right to give someone else a chance to see what they can do with the franchise.

Plus he's loaded & can do what he likes now.

Gonna be interesting to see what happens next in the SW saga without GL :)

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I think Lucas' skin is thicker than that. He would have never made it this long otherwise; the OT had its share of critics.

He retired because he wanted to retire, and he sold to Disney because Disney is a cash cow and will be able to continue Star Wars as long as people will keep watching.

14. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    no we didn't make Lucas do anything

"Lucas release an unaltered OOT on blu-ray, we want you know the orginal films, you know, untouched in hight definition, we want to see strings on the millenium falcon and matte lines up close"

Lucas: no

"Mr Lucas, we uhhm don't really think Star Wars should be for all ages, we want uhh, yeah gritty adult stuff, you know nolanesque, so get rid of the crappy humour, and kill Jar Jar yeh?"

LUCAS: NO

"mr Lucas well a lot of people don't like the way this scene is-

"but if you just tweak-

but just a little

Lucas: NOOOO!!!

Lucas never does anything he doesn't want to do, simple, never has

15. MagicSpork

MagicSpork Jedi Knight star 2

May 25, 2004
    I think Lucas is going to get "Greedo shot first" engraved on his tombstone as one last middle finger to all the Star Wars fans that have trashed him over the years

Death T likes this.
  16. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Like many other things, Star Wars has no intrinsic value. It's only worth what the people who like it think it's worth. How upset can Lucas have been that people only love his merchandise to the tune of $200 million a year? That's why he could sell the business. Lucas realistically concluded that he might not have the longevity or good health to see another trilogy to completion.

17. Dragon_eye

Dragon_eye Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2006
    I do believe he just got tired of it and all that came with it.

That and the fans were not always on the nice side. :p

18. Death T

Death T Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the 4 billion dollars had an awful lot to do with it. That's a nice retirement check. He probably considered that someone else will take the blame for future disappointments as an afterthought, but I doubt it was the primary reason he sold it.

19. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    We didn't make Lucas do anything he didn't want to do.

20. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011
    I don't think the money was that big an issue to be honest, considering that Lucas has said that he intends to donate it. Truthfully, I think he sold to Disney because he knows that Disney will be able to protect the Saga given how voraciously they go after anyone that threatens their intellectual property. That and they are probably the world's biggest corporation for family-friendly media which is what Star Wars has always been a part of. The fact that they regularly re-release their films is another bonus as it ensures that future generations will have access to the Saga.

By the way, is that a silhouette of L from Death Note as your avatar?

21. LordMortis315

LordMortis315 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Fixed. :p

22. xtinataguba

xtinataguba Jedi Youngling

Nov 13, 2012
    he's old. he just want to retire. with a billion dollars on this bed.

23. San-Tarah

San-Tarah Jedi Youngling

Nov 22, 2012

The Filoni should had inherited the frachise.

LordMortis315 likes this.
  24. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    If we did, we should party like the Ewoks banging on cracked Stormtrooper helmets.

25. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I like to think that the pressure we fans were able to bring to bear on GL had an impact on his decision to not make any more SW and subsequently sell it. I have to wonder though... If you had GL money, how many craps would you give about what Narutakikun and Kilroy McFadden think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.