main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Yoda confront Anakin about the Tusken slaughter?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Among the Clouds, Jan 23, 2015.

1. uperduper

uperduper Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2015
    Yoda knows everything that happened in that scene, and he sides with Anakin
    he rightfully tells Mace that Anakin is in great suffering, he does not tell Mace: "hey, Anakin just killed a lot of people, we have to arrest him when he gets back"

2. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I think Yoda could sense that Anakin was in terrible emotional pain, but he couldn't tell the reason. So, I don't think that Yodw could have confronted Anakin about what he did.

3. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    From what the films show, no.
    --------

this.

4. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

True, however, Palpatine does have legal authority over Anakin. He's the head of the Senate and the Jedi answer to the Senate.

I'm also not surprised Anakin went to him, to be honest.

As for Yoda, the film only has Yoda noting that Anakin is in terrible pain and hearing Qui-Gon's voice. I imagine Anakin just told him that his mother had died and left the aftermath out entirely. The devil's in the details.

5. LZM65

LZM65 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 24, 2015

I don't think Yoda knew exactly what happened. If he did, I think he would have made sure that Anakin was kicked out of the Order. I think he merely sensed Anakin's pain, grief and anger.

Padme still called herself trying to keep an emotional distance from Anakin . . . even if she was falling in love with him. She's not his authority figure. I also believe she would have considered herself stepping out of bounds by going over Anakin's head to tell Obi-Wan. And maybe, just maybe . . . Padme thought the Tuskens deserved what happened to them, after what happened to Shmi. I don't think she is no more of a saint than anyone else.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  6. PiettsHat

PiettsHat Force Ghost star 4

Jan 1, 2011

I think this is true to an extent as well. People forget that although the protagonists of Star Wars are good people, NONE of them are saints.

Han worked for a slaver for YEARS purely for profit.
    Luke killed in anger at Obi-Wan's death.
    Leia, Luke, and Lando all blew up Jabba's sail barge -- which doubtlessly contained innocent slaves -- all to free Han.

They're good people, but that doesn't make them saints.

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Luke was being shot at:

"No!"
    (Stormtroopers shoot)
    (Luke shoots)
    "Blast the door kid!"

And as for "blowing up the sail barge to free Han" - Han was already free. They blew up the sail barge so that they could escape the area without being pursued by it.

Luke gave Jabba his warning "Free us or die" - applies to Jabba and the whole Sail Barge. Jabba chose not to.

True - but some scenes get over-extrapolated into "severe character flaws" when this may not be called for.

8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    if they ever discussed it, anakin would have said his mother died. the end.

only one kenobi likes this.
  9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012

But..it's weird isn't it that...

The Jedi Council can "see through" Anakin in TPM, and I really don't see that he has mastered self-control enough to not let his inner thoughts show. Yoda even sees through Qui-Gon..."Oh but you do. Revealed your opinion is"

and yet, somehow Anakin, with this huge amount of remorse, anger, hatred etc. is somehow supposed to be able to hide all of that from such as Yoda?

10. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    the dark side clouds everything.

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    IL: Indeed your last statement is true for characters of both factions but the opposite is also often true as well. Many do not place *enough* responsibility where it belongs.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I figure that was less "thought reading" and more a thorough knowledge of Qui-Gon's obsessions.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Or their moral codes are simply different.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I really don't buy into that. To me that fact that many interpret morality differently does not equal morality being changeable.

15. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012

Yeah...I figure what he says actually makes it pretty obvious what he thinks but, that doesn't lessen the impact. It's the idea that Qui-Gon (who seems, for the most part) to be well able to control his emotions lets out what he wants to hide and yet...this messed up teenager who's just been weeping and spilling the beans to Padmé is somehow, I'm supposed to believe, capable of hiding all of that emotion (which poured and tore through Yoda during the event itself).

I get that he is doing that in ROTS when he speaks to Yoda, how guarded he is in that scene...but I just don't see how he would be able to hide that level of hurt/anger as he is in AOTC. (and, again, raises the question...just how did he become accepted as a Jedi Knight by ROTS? Especially given what it was that Luke was expected to learn in order to become a Jedi...)

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    If it was just Obi-Wan that questioned him - and the only bit that came out was Shmi's death, Obi-Wan might not have thought to look deeper.

Maybe you could
    as you keep asking others to?

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I was going to bring that up before. "See through you, we do."

Maybe that's why Mace and Yoda's seriously doubt Anakin in ROTS, when they don't early in AOTC. Maybe they saw through him in those Council scenes, saw how messed up he was at the time, and lost faith in him. I have no doubt Yoda saw through Anakin during their meditation scene, Yoda was finishing his damn sentences.

Off topic, I know.

18. only one kenobi

Nov 18, 2012

I really don#'t think it is off topic....given that the topic is does Yoda confront Anakin about the Tusken slaughter. I think Yoda's ability to "see through" Anakin both in TPM and (as you point out here) likely ROTS as well raises a question of how Anakin could hide what he did from Yoda given his state of mind in AOTC. And...given what Yoda sensed of Anakin during the slaughter - why wouldn't he have confronted him?

The whole story becomes incredibly ragged here. Why, for example, is Anakin tasked with returning Padmé back to Naboo? Prior to any debriefing by the Jedi? Despite his flagrant disregard for orders and inability to perform his duties on his first solo mission? Despite his injuries?

Unfortunately we have no idea of any notion of any follow up on his dereliction of duty, his lack of emotional control and whatever it was that Yoda sensed in him because...the story simply picks up three years later with him having (how?) become a Jedi Knight and the Jedi seemingly oblivious to any conception that he mighht not be ...perfect Jedi material...

19. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The Clone Wars: Wild Space shows the immediate aftermath of AOTC, from Yoda, Padme, and Obi-Wan's point of view.

20. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yoda sensed Anakin's pain through the Force, but he didn't see what's happened. Only Qui-Gon, Padmé and Palpatine know what he did.

Still, Anakin probably had to explain why he went to Tatooine. So he may have told just about Shmi's fate.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I bought the explanation in that book; that Padme had requested that Anakin do it so that she could take that time to break things off.

Then I imagined her thinking "LOL, Kenobi, **** you" in the wedding scene.

But we all know how that turned out.

Vialco, KaminoPalomino and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Pain and Suffering

Pain and Suffering Jedi Master star 3

Mar 8, 2015
    I think no, Yoda never did confront Anakin about the Tuskens.
    For one thing, I don't think Yoda actually knew what Anakin did. Or maybe he had a suspicion, but didn't really want to address it.
    And Anakin seems to break the rules all the time without anyone confronting him about it. No one one questions what he was doing on Tatooine (okay, well not in the movies, anyway), no one confronts him when he goes on a rescue mission to save Echo that he was specifically told not to go on, no one questions how he got Poggle to talk and tell how to kill those Geonosian worm things, or his relationship with Padme (well, I guess Obi-wan does.).
    So basically, it seems like Anakin can (most of the time) get away with murder(pun intended) with no one questioning him.

Iron_lord likes this.