main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did Yoda force pull Luke's Xwing down to Dagobah's surface?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by badluckhulahula, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. badluckhulahula

badluckhulahula Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2013
    Or did he just happen to crash a short walk away from Yoda's hut?

2. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    The Force guided Luke to the general whereabouts of Yoda. I don't think Yoda had any direct influence on manipulating the X-Wing's course.

Or Luke is just damn lucky and it was an amazing coincidence.

3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Luke let go and trusted his instincts. The Force guided him. There's no such thing as luck. Superstitious nonsense.

Jedi Knight Fett and Sarge like this.
  4. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I mentioned this in the 'Questions' forum not long ago and yes it is attested to that Yoda pulled down Luke's X-wing. The question is, though, what was Luke planning on doing. Just hovering randomly around the planet?

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I don't recall anything saying it was an actual pull-down - though in the Zahn books, Luke speculates that Yoda made Luke's instruments go dead at exactly the right moment.

6. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't believe Yoda did anything. Luke came down like he did because of the fog screwing up his guidance systems. He doesn't have that problem later on because he relies on the Force.

Frank T. and Mr. K like this.
  7. Alessandro Sanfilippo

Alessandro Sanfilippo Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 16, 2013
    The force guided Luke to Yoda. No such thing as a coincidence

8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003

I don't know, he's Mr. Impulsive that raced to Bespin based on a vague vision. It was fortunate that Vader laid a trap and pretty much orchestrated things to funnel Luke to the carbon freezing chamber, because if Vader just wanted to kill the rebel that destroyed the Death Star, I don't know what Luke thought he was going to do.

The Force, via Obi-Wan Force ghost, guided Luke to Dagobah in the first place, I'm guessing he felt the Force would guide him once he was there or maybe that he'd be able to scan for a settlement or something from orbit (I don't think he anticipated all of his instruments to go crazy and crash into a swamp).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    The Force guided him to Yoda

That, or he had a map that highlighted Yoda's house but we never saw it

10. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Here's the real question, did Yoda cause the X-Wing to sink, in order to test Luke's abilities to pull it out?

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  11. Michael McKean

Michael McKean Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 5, 2013
    I'm not sure if Yoda would have expected Luke's knowledge of the Force to have developed so fay by that point (immediately after he crashes). Of course, toward the end of Luke's training it would certainly have been opportune, and it demonstrated to Luke what the Force is capable of after he sees Yoda lift it out.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

The X-wing sinks because it is a heavy object on a weak, wet ground that's not entirely stable. Underwater dirt/mud isn't going to be as stable as surface ground. Hence Luke's ship is fine after Yoda has lifted it out and put it somewhere safe.

13. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    IMHO, it's pretty clear Yoda guides Luke's X-Wing into the general direction of having him land where he wanted him. Luke certainly isn't using the Force; he's relying on his sensors and really doesn't know what to do when they all go dead.

14. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    You want the truth? The truth is that if Luke had crashed somewhere on Dagobah that was far away from where Yoda was it would have slowed down the movie too much to have had him search the whole planet for him. So having him crash near Yoda's area was a matter of convenience that you often see in movies. Any in-movie explanation would be secondary to the fact that Luke was going to find Yoda pretty quickly in ESB - whether it was by luck, fate/the force, whatever - for the sake of the film's pacing.

But my in-movie explanation is that it was luck.

:)

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  15. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    Ben appeared infont of Luke on Hoth to tell him he needed to go to Dagobah surely he wouldn't just leave him to find Yoda alone....Ben through the Force guided Luke close to Yodas hut.

16. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I think it's a combination of the last two posts:

OOU: to have Luke roam around Dagobah would slow down the movie to epic proportions
    IC: Obi-Wan indirectly guided him to where he needed to be, but that just raises the question on why Obi-Wan didn't just direct him like he did in ANH (vocally), but at least that makes the most sense.

As for Yoda I don't think he used the force much (except "watching" Luke) as that could alert him to the emperor.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Well, he did raise the X-wing.

18. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    Yoda chose Dagobah as a place to hide from Sidious and Vader because of it's special qualities. One of these special qualities is the planet's natural defense to technology.

19. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    LOL that would be the ultimate dick move.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  20. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    I think it was that the planet was teeming with so much life that the his own signature in the Force was undetectable. Made it impossible for Sidious, Vader or any of their spies to sense him.

Frank T. likes this.
  21. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I thought that weird magic tree was why Yoda felt Dagobah was a suitable hiding place. The aura of evil surrounding it- a domain of evil as Yoda describes it, makes it difficult to sense the Jedi Master. I think there was something in the novelization about it more specifically. Cannot remember, been nearly 20 years since I read it.

Frank T. likes this.
  22. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Which I never really understood. Why sit around rotting away on Dagobah instead of taking another crack at Sidious, especially with Obi-Wan's help? And preferrably pretty soon after the events of ROTS. I know they had some hope in Luke, I guess, but it's hard to imagine him having a better shot at taking down the evil duo than Yoda and Obi-Wan together. And after the Chosen One's turn, I wouldn't have had too much faith in the will of the Force.

23. Mr. K

Oct 23, 1999
    I always wondered why they didn't put as much faith in Leia as they did Luke. Even from a strategic point-of-view, Leia is at the heart of galactic politics and would clearly have a better shot at getting access to the Emperor and Vader on the Imperial capital than Luke ever would vaporizing moisture on Tatooine.

24. badluckhulahula

badluckhulahula Jedi Youngling

Nov 27, 2013
    I guess its just best left to the imagination.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It was Heir to the Empire that first raised the argument that the Dark Side Cave could have shielded Yoda.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.