main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DID YODA KNOW LUKE WOULD TURN ANAKIN FROM THE DARK SIDE?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DarthWolvo23, Jun 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectCell

PerfectCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2005
    No, because he obviously wants to fight the Emperor, but is too weak to do so. That is why he asks Luke to join him to end the conflict and bring order to the galaxy. He obviously wants power and is driven to acquire it.

Therein lies the problem though, he's living an aimless life until something enters his life that changes all that, Luke, his son that further brings out Anakin from within Vader. As Anakin, and even early Vader, he was very impulsive and very driven, if he wanted the Emperor dead he would have tried it, he may hate the Emperor, but in his mind the Emperor is the only person left who never betrayed him, so he never acts upon his hatred of the Emperor until Luke enters his life, because the Vader from ROTS until TESB just doesn't care about anything in life.

2. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    If he didn't care about anything in life, he'd sit in a corner to die. He cares about the Empire a great deal and spends a great deal of energy furthering its interests.

Vader spends a few seconds grieving over Padme, and then he is again on the bridge admiring his master's creation, and active as his servant. There is no evidence in the movies that Vader has lost interest in life because of Padme. Note also that in all his conversations with Luke and the Emperor and Obi-Wan, he does not mention his former wife even once.

3. Chewie_Bone

Chewie_Bone Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2005
    If anything, it was Luke's suffering at the hands of Palpatine, not Luke himslef, that at last turned Vader.

4. DarthSyphus

DarthSyphus Jedi Youngling star 1

May 26, 2005
    I think Yoda aimed Luke to kill Vader. First of all, it's clear that he wanted Obi-Wan to kill Vader, because Obi-Wan says that he can't kill him, and Yoda insists that the Sith must be destroyed and that Obi-Wan must find him. So, Yoda's plan was to kill Vader. Also, Yoda hid the fact that Vader was Luke's father because he knew that Luke would not be able to kill him if he knew. Yoda had seen how Obi-Wan's compassion allowed Vader to live even when he was defeated, so he was making sure that Luke would finish the job that Obi-Wan could not. Obi-Wan is also disappointed when Luke says that he can't kill Vader, indicating that both Obi-Wan and Yoda wanted Vader killed.

5. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    If he didn't care about anything in life, he'd sit in a corner to die. He cares about the Empire a great deal and spends a great deal of energy furthering its interests.

No, there are a ton of people who give up caring about their lives but continue on living them, it's a sad reality, but a lot of people do that. Vader was the same way, he continued serving the Emperor because that was all he knew how to do, that doesn't mean he had any zest for it, a lot of soldiers especially suffer from that aimless condition.

Vader spends a few seconds grieving over Padme, and then he is again on the bridge admiring his master's creation, and active as his servant. There is no evidence in the movies that Vader has lost interest in life because of Padme. Note also that in all his conversations with Luke and the Emperor and Obi-Wan, he does not mention his former wife even once.

Anakin/Vader doesn't like to think about the bad things that have happened to him, he loved his mother dearly, but he quickly tries to move on from her death. He can't handle the people that he loves dying, that's evident in every movie and every story that Anakin has ever been in. Besides, take it from my own personal experience, sometimes people choose not to think about their lost loved ones all that much, it hurts them too much to do so. Some people handle their pain over losing someone by celebrating that person, others handle their plain by openly grieving, and still others handle their pain by shutting the memory of that person, and the pain that goes along with those memories, into a box. Everything that I've seen or read of Anakin/Vader makes me believe that he would fall into the last category.

6. Geezasfm

Geezasfm Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2005
    But I think DarthSyphus' point is, watch the duel at the end of ESB again. Vader is still scheming and still interested in the world and attaining power.

7. PerfectCell

Jun 3, 2005
    I can see why you would think that, and that point does hold merit, but I've never seen it that way. I've always viewed that as Vader doing whatever he can to accomplish the job his master has put before him, turn Luke to the dark side, but he can't accomplish the job because he is in inner turmoil over the fact that Luke is his son, which is why he tosses the carrot out there of Luke joining him so that they can destroy the Emperor. In Vader's mind that seems like a plausible solution for the turmoil that is raging inside of him, with the emergence of his son he finally feels that he may be able to act upon the hatred that he has for the Emperor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.