main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did Yoda's Stamina and/or Injury Cost Him the Fight?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by MASTER_DOODOO, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Yoda Does NOT have any trouble leaping from pod to pod, so why does he give up when knocked down to the bottom? It seems like it would be a good time to recover his saber and start jumping back up towards Sidious. I think he may have broken a few ribs on that last fall and been too tired to continue. He fought a good fight, though. I give him props for that.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
    Yoda realizes that violence won't destroy the Sith this time.

3. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    There's been some discussion on this in the past. I don't think he was injured. Some say he left because it wasn't his destiny, to kill Sidious. I think it may have had something to do with the OT. If he would have ended up killing Sidious, things would have turned out differently, and vice versa. But I've never really forgave Yoda for cuttin and runnin [face_laugh]

4. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    You guys are wrong. Yoda feared the Emperor and he knew he would loose. his lightsaber had broken and it was no longer for his use, he had to run or risk everything. it was wise for his to run away.

5. GrandWarlord

GrandWarlord Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 21, 2003
    Oh I agree, he made the decision to walk away, and a lot of times that's for the best. I might not like it, but he did.....

Walk away to fight another day....or train Luke so he could turn Vader to the good side :D

6. Freakzillawht2

Freakzillawht2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    I agree, he was afraid but why you say his lightsaber was broken it merely fell down.

7. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004

I know, but it looked as if the crystal inside could have been broken up somewhat.

8. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    Really? I know that something like this is alluded to in the Novel, but violence by way of a green Saber taking off the Dark Lord's head may have helped. No? [face_thinking]

To answer the question, I think that Yoda thought that landing a Saber strike on Sidious was just too difficult. It would have been incredibly difficult for Sidious to catch Yoda with a lethal blow as he is such a small target, but by the same token Yoda has to use a very aggressive style because of his lack of size.

So yes, stamina definitely came into it. He was spent.

9. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Yoda was gassed. Palp's was cackling.
    And the fight was over long before it ever started.
    The lightside flows through you, so Yoda had to rely on it, while the darkside is called upon, thus empowering the user. Sidious could have battled Yoda till the little green guy turned blue... the only thing that was injured,
    was Yoda's pride.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yoda was not injured nor worn out. He stopped fighting because he realized that it was futile. There was no way he was going to beat Palpatine. He was too strong for him and to continue fighting would result in only his death, not the Emperor's. As Obi-wan tells Han, there are alternatives to fighting if you cannot win. As to his saber, he left it behind in the film because he couldn't find it and didn't have the time to go searching for it.

11. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    It would have but they were so evenly matched that wasn't going to be happening. :p

12. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    Agreed. He knew that he could not defeat Palpatine and his death would eventually be inevitable. As he and Obi-Wan were the last of the Jedi (that they knew of), his death was not something they could afford.

13. BigBoy29

BigBoy29 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    I think Yoda would be respected more if he went out trying to settle the fight then and there.

His retreat was only because he needed to be in The OT. Same as Maul getting sliced by Dr. Kenobi .... Some folks had to live, as improbable as it seemed to moviegoers from '99 to '05.

14. DarthZchour

DarthZchour Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 10, 2002
    I'm gonna go with Dark_Jedi_Kenobi on this one. There no way of knowing how long the fight would last, and he must have known that a massive fight in the Senate Chamber would draw a lot of attention. He probably knew that Clone Troops were on their way and to try to fight them off as well as Sidious would be futile.

He knew that he was one of only a couple - few Jedi left and the order could not afford to lose him. So he opted to play a more valuable role in the future. That battle was lost.

15. ACE_Albert

ACE_Albert Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 3, 2007
    At that point, Yoda probably figured he couldn't beat Sidious. Sidious had the advantage from the start because of his form of lightsaber combat as opposed to Yoda's form. Ataru is the single most taxing form of lightsaber combat - it's built for a powerful, rapid offense against a single opponent in an open space, and it is meant neither for prolonged combat nor for engagement in a limited space, such as aboard a single Senate pod. If Yoda and Sidious had been duking it out in a more open space, such as that hanger on Geonosis, Yoda would have done much better. But on a single small pod, Yoda's form was crippled, and the fact that he fought as well as he did is credit to Yoda's absolute mastery of Form IV. By the time he fell, Yoda was probably exhausted and knew that to continue to battle Sidious on a pod would be tantamount to suicide.

What did not make much sense was that Yoda and Kenobi basically decided to take a two-decade-long vacation afterwards where they basically did nothing. They could have tried to plan more strikes against Sidious and Vader; but no. They could have searched for and trained more Force sensitives; but no. They could have banded up the remaining Jedi and prepared for an ambush against the Sith; but no. At the least, they could have trained Luke and Leia to the best of their combined abilities so that by the ANH era, Luke and Leia would be Uber, unstoppable Jedi; but no. Instead, they decided to kick back their heels and relax; leave any other surviving Jedi to fend for themselves; and basically grow old and out of shape and wait to die so that a poorly trained kid would really be the 'last' Jedi.

16. MASTER_DOODOO

MASTER_DOODOO Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2005
    Yah, well with the amount of bungling Yoda does in the PT, it doesn't surprise me that Yoda and Ben spend 18 years communing with each other across the galaxy instead of starting a new jedi order.

17. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    YODA: "Until the time is right, disappear we will. Master Kenobi, a moment. In your solitude on Tatooine, training I have for you."

They were going to wait until the time was right to train the children and to make their presence known. They were borrowing a page from the book of the Sith, by waiting patiently. They weren't going to train the children for two reasons. First, because the Sith would sense a distrubence in the Force caused by this and thus alert the Sith. Forcing them to go on the offensive. Second, they were going to let the Force decide when it is time for the children to be trained. This comes years later when Leia is captured and Luke brings the droids to Obi-wan, since Artoo is carrying the Death Star plans inside of him. In the meantime, they were going to prepare for not only the training, but also learning to retain their identities.

18. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    They trust that the Force will guide Luke and/or Leia to them when the time is right. Yoda correctly realized that the Jedi's victory wouldn't come through martial might.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.