main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Did you ever notice in SW...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Here's a thread about tings you've noticed but have NEVER heard others talk about regarding the SW movies. It's time to dust off your copies if you haven't watched them in awhile and look at all of the background stuff.

This came about because I was watching RotJ last night and noticed something from a different perspective.

Here's my thought.

When the heroes land on the Endor moon, we see the shuttle in the background and the landing party is streaming out of it. Not 15 seconds later or so, they notice a couple of Bikerscouts. How is it that a noisy ship landing would not alert the Bikerscouts? They should have totally been aware that a ship had landed nearby somewhere and either reported into base that they were checking it out or have gone directly to the outskirts of the landing site to check it out. That was they're job. Hmm puzzling this is.

Any thoughts?

Oh and before you say they couldn't hear because of they're helmet, they have built in audio receptors that are even better than the standard issue stormtrooper helmet because of the work they do.

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    One possible reason the scouts didn't hear the shuttle landing . . .

Even though there was only a couple of seconds in between on screen, in 'real time' there might have been an hour between when the Rebels landed and hiked to the place where the scouts were.

Lucas has always been a bit loose with time passages in his films (ex: the amount of time Luke spent on Dagobah, the time it took the Falcon to get to Bespin, how long were Han & Company waiting for Luke & Leia to get back from chasing the scouts . . . considering those bikes were going very fast and Luke walked back)

3. jaster_meerle

jaster_meerle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    that was very insightful of you

4. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I agree with greencat. It is implied that the landing party was walking for a while before they see the biker scouts.

5. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I don't feel that was implied at all. It seemed rather immediate to me.

Ah, well, many of the truths we cling to...

6. Fluke_Groundrunner

Fluke_Groundrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 1, 2001
    I will have to watch that scene again, BUT, from what I remember there is some sort of diagonal cut-in right before we see them walking up to were theyt see the scouts?

7. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    What about the fact that it was a stolen Imperial shuttle that the scouts would have no reason to report?

:)

8. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, but that's the whole point. Any ship that was landing would make a reasonale amount of noise. The scouts are there to check on ANY suspicious activity. A ship landing in the middle of the forest should certainly raise eyebrows and at least have been reported in, if not checked on.

Well, anyway, this wasn't a thread intended to provoke so I hope that's not what's being thought here. I was just wondering if any others had noticed something strange within the movies that you've always wondered about but never heard anyone else discuss.

Okay, here's another one. When Luke and Han rescue Leia, just before she enters the garbage chute she says to Han, "into the garbage chute flyboy". How did she know he was a pilot? He was in Stormtrooper armor and even if she recognized his Coreelian accent, not all Corellian's are pilots. This has always puzzled me. Any thoughts?

9. jaster_meerle

jaster_meerle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    maybe its just a generic term for a cocky person- after all, jet jocks are always pretty sure of themselves

10. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    A ship landing in the middle of the forest should certainly raise eyebrows and at least have been reported in, if not checked on.
    IMO, the scouts should know that any ships landing would have to have gotten clearnace to land, otherwise they wouldn't be landing in one piece ;). The shield had to be deactivated to allow their landing, so I'm assuming they had to land on a landing pad near the bunker :)
    For the flyboy thing, probably just another one of her insults she slings at him throughout the DS escape.

Did you ever wonder why the Imperial contractors almost never put hand/safety rails around seemingly endless pits where people would be walking?

11. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    [Qoute from Dex]
    A ship landing in the middle of the forest should certainly raise eyebrows and at least have been reported in, if not checked on.
    IMO, the scouts should know that any ships landing would have to have gotten clearnace to land, otherwise they wouldn't be landing in one piece. The shield had to be deactivated to allow their landing, so I'm assuming they had to land on a landing pad near the bunker
    [End Quote]

The shield only had to be brought down if they were entering the Death Star, not landing on the moon. Besides, if that were true then why even have scouts to begin with. Certainly the Empire checked out the moon and found only the Ewoks and deemed them not to be a threat (wrongfully so later of course). The shuttle didn't land on a platform and the radar tech/air traffic controller should have noticed the shuttle veering off course and reported it.

For the flyboy thing, probably just another one of her insults she slings at him throughout the DS escape. True that is was an insult, but she in no way knew he was a pilot when she said it. I think perhaps there was a missing piece of dialog there, like Luke hastily introducing Leia and Han, saying something like "we flew in on his ship" something that simple would have given a clear indication that Han was a pilot. It would be reasonable then to assume if you own a starship that you're also the pilot of it. While there may be some instances to the opposite, that would be in the vast minority.

12. Stina-Cri

Stina-Cri Jedi Padawan star 4

May 18, 2002
    no it's so people can fall or be pushed to their death.

13. Dex1138

Sep 8, 1999
    The shield only had to be brought down if they were entering the Death Star

HAN: Tydirium requesting deactivation of the deflector shield.

CONTROLLER (over radio):Shuttle Tydirium, transmit the clearance code for shield passage.

:)
    But I'll agree someone should have noticed they didn't land in a proper zone.

And if you just met Luke and Han under those circumstances, who would you assume got everybody into a heavily armed space station? ;)

14. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    True, true, Han did have to ask for clearance. I still find it sketchy that they weren't tracked though and found to have veered off course.

Here's another one, though I've heard a scant little bit of talking about this from others over the years;

Did you notice in Empire when just after the duel in the Carbon freeze chamber, Luke jumps down. Look closely and you'll notice he pops back up. That's because Mark Hamill landed on a trampoline and sprung back up. In fact that's the sound of him landing on the trampoline in the movie. Strange huh?

15. BonMothma

BonMothma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 2003
    They weren't tracked because Vader said, "Leave them to me. I'll deal with them myself." Orders to that effect could have been relayed to whoever was monitoring traffic on the moon.

16. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ah, yes, Bonnie, you bring up an interesting point, indeed.

So, does that then mean that there's a possibility that the Scouts were there to help lure the Rebels into a trap? Either that or just sent to obeserve and report but not engage. The scouts were packing up and getting ready to move on, so this could be the case. Any thoughts?

17. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    Info to the scouts would have been given on a need to know basis. The entire scheme was known only to the Emperor.

18. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    If that's true then we're back to square one. The scouts would have checked out and reported the ship landing in the middle of the forest and more than likely a detachment sent to check it out.

Well, I guess I'll just have to live with the possibility that the scenewas shot over time and that sufficient time had lapsed bewteen seeing the rebels disembarking from the shuttle and them seeing the scouts for the first time.

Not satisfied with that, but I'll live...

19. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Flyboy comment . . . Warning, this is just a silly one :) "Fly" of course is slang for good looking, as in "Dog, did ya' scope out that fly boy?" Leia was addressing Han not as a pilot, but as a cute but not too bright male. Which just about covers it for Han :D

Why no handrails on anything? For the same reason that a big straight trench led directly to the portal that could destroy the Death Star and a giant hole in the Emperor's throne room. --> government contracts that are awarded to the lowest bidder, which then use substandard equipment, undertrained labor (often slave or consripted) and general incompetence.

Although I like the throwing people down them explaination.

20. BonMothma

Aug 1, 2003
    The scouts needed to know that they were not to interfere with the incoming shuttle. They did not need to know why. They are not there to think (too much) for themselves; they are there to follow orders. You were in the service, Sal. Is it any different for our people? The lower your rank, the less they care what you think!

21. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    There might be some truth to the "need to know basis". But human nature invariably takes over on many occassions. I know I questioned orders given to me if they were in direct conflict either with established procedures or another officer gave me a different order relating to the situation. Sometimes that would really P.O. someone, but there are times when you just can't follow an order blindly. I understand, according to this discussion we're having, that the order would have come from the Emperor. Still the scouts would have been told by their direct superior officer and not the Emperor himself. Sure that officer might have said that the order came from the Emperor, but a good soldier still looks out. Maybe these scouts could have heard an order like this before and thought the officer was crying wolf by playing the Emperor card. And even if a legimate order came through, they are trained scouts. Couple their training with human nature and they still would have had to find out what was up, even if not reporting it in as told.

I'll put it in this perspective from my p.o.v., had I been one of those scouts, given the order to ignore the Rebels, I still would have protected my butt, by reporting in to command of the rebels appearance and also would have taken measures for my own personal safety. In this case I would have rather faced a disciplinary committee for disobeying a direct order than the business end of a Rebel blaster.

Now I think we're overthinking this too much, and my head hurts on this topic, so, was Lee Harvey Oswald the only shooter?...

22. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    Han didn't act alone. There was a second shooter in the Cantina. Han was too filled up with drinks to aim that well from under the table. My guess is that guy in the corner with the big eyes....

...but that could have been anyone...

(lol)

23. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Ha ha...

Perhaps it was Wuhrer the bartender. If you've read his back story in Tales from the Cantina, you'd see that he turned poor Greedo's remains into a liquid concoction for Jabba, that Jabba loved.

24. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    In this case I would have rather faced a disciplinary committee for disobeying a direct order than the business end of a Rebel blaster.

I don't think that arguement works for Imps. "Disciplinary committees" would most likely be made up of a firing squad. :)

Of course Han did not act alone! I've never never believed that "magic blaster" explanation.

25. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    Here's something I just thought of. It's about those secret compartments Han has on the Falcon. He uses them to smuggle things and the ST's couldnt detect them under there. But then when they lift them up their like THIN AS SHEET METAL! Im suprised they dont give in when you step on them. Man the Empire must have some junky stuff if their little....detective thingy couldnt pass through a paper thin piece of metal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.