main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Pittsburgh, PA Did you ever notice in SW...

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by jedi_master_sal, Nov 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_sal

jedi_master_sal Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Ah, that one can be explained. In the Star Wars universe, there is a material called durasteel. It is much stronger than our traditional steel. It can be much thinner and yet support more weight than normal steel. Also the Stormtroopers were looking for people and not hidden compartments. That was the job of the, ill fated, scanning crew.

Along those lines though...and I can't believe I haven't thought of this before now...What happened to the bodies of the scanning crew. First off were they killed? If not then they woke up and then what? Han, Luke and the others presence would have been comprimised if they had left the scanning crew (come to think about it the two stromtroopers as well) alive. So does that mean they have 4 bodies on the Falcon? Perhaps they "stored" them in the compartments and got rid of them later. Hmm, this is cause for much deliberation. If the scanners and troopers were dead then Han could have easily just "spaced" them. That is to say when in hyperspace, jettison them. The bodies wouldl have been disintergrated and bang pow zoom, nothing left. If however they were tied up and left alive, they would have to have been left in the secret storage compartments and then when the heroes escaped to the Yavin base, turned over to Alliance command. Hmm, this would make a great EU story. Perhaps those four went on to become Rebels themselves, since they were shown compassion. Further they would make a good infiltration team since they have intimate knowledge of how the Empire operates on their level.

Good thought Jasen. Thanks for bringing up yours, as it got me to think more about that and came up with this one as well.

2. greencat336

greencat336 Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 27, 2001
    Personally, I think Han blasted them and dumped the bodies in the hidden compartments. Later he dumped their bodies out an airlock.

3. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Well, we do hear shots fired. But I doubt Han would be shooting in his baby. :) Chewie probably knocked em out. Personally, I would have tied them up and dropped them in the smuggler compartments and dealt with them later. I don't think Han's so cold that he would just space them ;) But it does make an interesting question as to what happened to those four.
    You would think once they found out the Princess was busted out, they'd have put more of a guard on the Falcon. heheh

4. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Yeah, but they did kind of answer that by placing a tracer on the Falcon in hopes of finding the Rebel Base. Indeed the escape was much easer than it should have been.

5. JediJasen

JediJasen Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 15, 2002
    In Empire at the Battle of Hoth there were 3 AT-AT's. They all got destroyed with exception of one that blew the generator. My wonder is, what happened to the little AT-ST? Maybe it got too far into the snow and fell over or something...

6. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    That would make a cute children's book "Little Lost AT-ST" ;)

7. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Over on another site I visit, there is a very heated debate going on about why Obi claimed Yoda was the one who trained him (in-galaxy reason, NOT that George came up with a new idea 19 years down the road)

The reason I like best is a combination of two suggestions: First, that Obi was explaining this to Luke while Luke was busy freezing to death and was therefore trying to keep things simple. Second, Luke knew and trusted Obi (silly Luke, who didn't yet realize what a pathological liar Obi was) and would therefore be likely to trust 'The Jedi Master who taught me' much more readily than 'the Jedi Master who taught my master's master'.

What do you all think?

8. ben_ethus

ben_ethus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 17, 2001
    Greetings, blokes.

Greencat... I more or less agree with that, with a few alterations. I'll explain...

I agree with your idea that Obi-Dan (did that on purpose) was just cutting things short since Luke wasn't in the nicest of locales upon receiving the news. So Obi-Man (that's not a typo either, by the way) just cuts to the chase and leaves out a few details.

However, I feel that Obi-Han (neither is that) didn't actually lie to him either. I have to imagine Yoda did train him at some point. I got the impression from the prequels that Yoda trained all the younglings at some stage of their development. (Sure Obi wasn't his direct padawan, but he must have gotten at least a little bit of tutelage from him.)

So, taking those two things into account, saying that Yoda was the Jedi Master who trained him is a reasonably valid statement.

From a certain point of view, of course.

Sort of...

I should be in bed,
    Yours Truly

9. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    Yes, I can see your point of view, which is even validated by a canon line in TPM "Master Yoda said to be mindful of the Future" and by seeing Yoda training the Younglings in AOTC . . .

So while Obi is not exactly lying, he's not really telling the complete truth either.

10. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    Okay, here's another to churn over...

As of "A New Hope" Vader did not yet know of Luke or at least his whereabouts.

But we do know that he himself was for a time brought up on Tatooine, left and came back after his training to rescue his mom. We all know the tragic end there.

Linking this to "A New Hope"... I'm starting to believe that while the plans for the Death Star were not recovered by the Empire, Vader remembered the Lars residence, and since the trail to the plans ended there he had them killed. NOT however just for the plans but also for not doing more to save his mother 20+ years prior. So there was an ulterior motive (and left over anger) for Owen and Beru to have been killed other than not having information about the Death Star plans.

To further this, the local Garrison probably did not investigate the disappearance of the plans over Tatooine and then the Jawas, but Vader's personal troops, so the discovery that Luke lived there did not surface. If however, it was the local Garrison, they could have informed Imperial command of another resident (Luke) and that person would be tracked down. Of course this investigation would take longer than Vader was around for during the first events of "A New Hope", so by movie's end he still didn't know.

Now, during the discovery of another resident it could be quite possible that the Emperor looked into the investigation or had Vader look into it. (After all this is the Death Star we are talking about, not some backwater skirmish) At that time he (Vader) would have discovered that there was another Skywalker. Notice how in "ESB" when the Emperor addresses Vader in Vader's meditation chamber he says, "We have a new enemy, Luke Skywalker." And Vader replies, "He's just a boy." I now believe he knew of Luke's exhistence BEFORE the Emperor. (Yes I know there are two lines of dialog beteween the ones mentioned above but I am stressing these two to illustrate the point.

So 1) Vader had the Lars (Owen and Beru) killed not just for the plans but for some sort of retribution.
    and 2) Found out about Luke, through the investigation of the plans apparent disappearance on Tatooine.

What do you all think?

11. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    1) Vader had the Lars (Owen and Beru) killed not just for the plans but for some sort of retribution.

Disagree. Its not like the Lars had moved anytime in the past 20(?)years. If Vader believed that they had anything to do at all with his mom's death, I think he would have done something about it much, much sooner and not 'hey, i'm on Tatoonie anyway for this other matter, why don't I kill them while i'm here.'

I'm betting that the troopers investigating the droids just were doing what troopers do best, shoot/kill/destroy. After all, Vader had no feud with the Jawas and they were all killed.

Since the droids held top secret info, I propose that the Lars were questioned, then killed so they couldn't tell anyone the Empire was looking for these particular droids and because that seems to be SOP for Imps.

2) Found out about Luke, through the investigation of the plans apparent disappearance on Tatooine.

I do agree that Vader found out that there was a third person living at the Homestead and that his name was Skywalker, way before the Emperor did. I think there is a Dark Horse Comic about Vader's search for info about Luke, set between ANH and ESB

12. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    See, I used to think the same way, but now with the prequels coming into play it's a new ball game. I can definitely see where it would be standard operating procedure for the troopers to kill afterward. I'm just trying to add a new dynamic by making it more of Vader thing. I'll use the excuse that he was a busy man, serving the Emperoro and killing Jedi and all, that he didn't have the time or need to go after the Lars. Now that he was there, sure why not kill them. He knows that they harbor himself and Padme when he was younger, why not rebel sympathizers etc. and again just on principal for not doing more for his mom. I still think that's why he didn't want to personally go down to Tatooine. He didn't want to be reminded of the painful memories and when he found that the Lars had some small connection to the current investigation, it became the perfect opportunity for him to exact revenge on them. Sure he did so already with the Tuskens, but we know he is full of the dark side by this point that it became more a matter of fact or principal to kill them. Just trying to broaden the perception. Adds more depth to the story and links the trilogies a little more together. Just a thought though.

13. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    But it was Clegg Lars that freed his mom from Watto and married her. And although he was very wrapped up in his own pain, I doubt that he would have been able to miss the very real sorrow of the Lars (and soon to be Lars, Beru Whitesun)at the death of Shmi.

Sorry Sal, the vengence thing just doesn't ring true. :)

14. JediJasen

Apr 15, 2002
    Sorry to cut in on yours there Sal but I thought of one.

In Ep2 at the end. When the Jedi escape from the arena we see all their smaller ships, land vehicles, and the much larger ships landing (landed) below. But with the federation ships in space still, how did all the clone ships get passed them without someone from a federation ship notifying the viceroy or dooku or someone? ?[face_plain]

15. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    They jammed their transmissions....

getting back to the previous one for just a moment. We all know how screwes up Anakin was. He was brought up a slave and so on. His mental state was never on an even keel. He could very well have harbored bitterness for the Lars family. Here's what I was trying to say, from a different viewpoint: Had Cliegg NOT taken Shmi and then married her, she would have been "safe" in the confines of Mos Espa, where the Tuskens don't attack and therefore his Mom would have still been alive. Because of Cliegg's intervention though, she did die. yes, it's a twisted way to think about it, but that's how Anakin's mind was operating, being filled with the darkside and being influenced by the Emperor and all.

Okay, back to JJ's query...

I mentioned about jamming transmissions, but it could also have been the force. There were 200 Jedi afterall and they together could have manipulated the force to prevent transmissions from taking place. It's a stretch to be sure. What bothers me is that this is called "Star Wars" and there was NO star wars in AotC, when yet there was perfect opportunity. A huge space battle over the planet (and in the asteroid field) of Geonosis would have been extraordinary!

The only other possible explanation it that the Republic fleet entered the planet from the opposite side of the planet from where the Trade Federation was. That's the only one that makes the most sense. (Of course you'd have to consider, satellites) Thing is they weren't looking for an invasion and the very nature of an invasion is surprise, and that's what took place. That's why, although, Count Dooku knew of the clones, he didn't expect them to attack at that time. We all saw his reaction in the arena, but of course he realized rather quickly that this was all part of his Master's plan and played along with it. Okay, I'm assuming a little here, but it makes sense to me.

16. greencat336

Jan 27, 2001
    No 'star wars' in AOTC. Well, there was that cool chase scene through the asteriod field (I love those seismic --sp??-- charges with that blue light, silent pause, then electric guitar sound.)

And you did have several 'stars' at war, like getting to see Yoda and Mace fight :D

17. JediJasen

Apr 15, 2002
    hehe. Yeah a fight in the asteroids would have been cool.

18. jedi_master_sal

May 20, 2002
    I liken the Obi/Jango Asteroid scene to a chase scene rather than war. I want to see LOTS of fighters from both sides going at it in an all out dogfight.

SPOILER ALERT!!! (Highlight below)

Thankfully we will be getting one right at the begining of Episode III.

19. jaster_meerle

jaster_meerle Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    i didnt read the spoiler but episoe 3 needs big spacebattle cause im not convinced that throguh a little risky speeder flying and some nifty podracing that anakin is the best starpilot in the galaxy (that title belongs to me)
    plus just because you said "i know, lets roll, thats a good trick" it doesnt make you special in any way shape or form (unles of corse your me)

20. JediJasen

Apr 15, 2002
    haha! Yeah I agree, we gotta see Anakin really whip some galactic butt out in space.
    And I would like to see some ARC troopers as well, wouldnt you?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.