main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did you feel sorry for Darth Vader at the end of ROTS?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Matthew78, Oct 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew78

Matthew78 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 16, 2006
    When i watch him being put into the suit i cant help but feel sorry for Darth Vader, because he is basically just a young man that was confused that got manipulated into joining Palpatine as a Sith Lord, i cant feel sorry for him choking Padme because he could have searched his feelings to see if she really brought Obi-Wan to kill him on Mustafar and knew that she loved him and still lost control of himself after that, but after seeing him put into the suit later on i feel some sympathy for Darth Vader because he was doing what he belived was right to save his wife and failed utterly at that and then he is told that his wife died because he killed her, his groaning and screaming show me that he realized that what he had done was wrong and that he felt remorse about it yet could not correct the situation because Padme was dead and he was in that suit and largely ruined as a man,he must have spent years rebuilding himself enough to be a shadow of the man he was before the burns and decapitations too.

I think that Vader is always thinking about how he killed Padme throughout the OT, that might be why he cannot allow Palpatine to kill Luke because he let Padme die when he could have stopped it (had self control and not forced choked her) and now he can stop Palpatines force lightning attack on Luke by throwing Palpatine down the elevator shaft, so in spite of the slaughter of the younglings and the Separitists who were begging for their lives and the betrayal of Obi-Wan who had only supported him i can still feel sorry for Vader, im sure that he wanted to kill Palpatine himself at the end of ROTS because he taught him to show no mercy and made him ruthless enough to kill his own wife too.

2. Master_Starwalker

Master_Starwalker Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2003
  3. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    He supposedly did what he did to save Padme, but ends up choking his preggers spouse within an inch of her life on Mustafar.

NO!

4. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
  5. darth_frared

darth_frared Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 24, 2005
    so -- had he at least done this properly, you'd feel sympathy for him? :confused:

and yes, i feel for him. i find that if you cannot feel for him, the films lose a lot of appeal. i have never felt for organisations, they always seemed terribly pointless, but i can feel for individuals.

6. Matthew78

Dec 16, 2006
    In Vaders/Anakins defense he did belive that Padme had brought Obi-Wan to Mustafar to kill him, he took Palpatines orders there "Do not hesitate,show no mercy." he quickly accuses her of bringing Obi-Wan to kill him because Obi-Wan appears out of nowhere at the end of their conversation like he has been there hiding on the ship waiting to ambush Vader, from Vaders perspective it is logical that she was lying to him and brought Obi-Wan in secret, he could have handled things differently but doesnt, shame on Vader, but Palpatine teaching him to show no mercy caused his ruthlessness, he seems to be sorry for it after he been defeated and knows that he killed Padme, just not from a broken heart like she really died.

7. Darth_Davi

Darth_Davi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2005
    No, I don't feel sorry for Darth Vader. I will readily acknowledge that Vader is my favorite Star Wars character, but, at this point in his life, what is there to feel sorry for? He almost kills his wife and children directly, (and indirectly does kill her) He is responsible for a massacre at the Jedi Temple where he murdered defenseless children, betrayed the ideals of the Republic by siding with Palpatine, who he knew was the Sith Lord, previously he had slaughtered an entire village of Sandpeople out of revenge, and in every instance where his choice was between doing what was right and doing what benefited himself the most, he made the wrong choice. What is there to feel sorry for? He made his bed, now he has to lie in it...The Vader suit is his just desserts for being a jerk.

8. Matthew78

Dec 16, 2006
    Well i am a Christian, so i look at it like this, If the Force (God in Star Wars) can forgive Vader and let him be restored to his former self Anakin at the end of ROTJ then i can forgive Vader for anything that he does as well, as long as he is really sorry and shows remorse for it then this indicates that he knows that what he did was wrong, Vader was crying on Mustafar when he was standing on the balcony because he had a chance to stop and think about what he had done and knew that it was wrong but could not return because it was already to late at that point, he had already killed the jedi in the Jedi Temple and the Clones had already carried out Order 66 and destroyed the other jedi spread across the galaxy, all Vader could do was overthrow Palpatine and take over in his place and his injury prevented that.

I think that he got into the dark side of the force far too quickly and it cost him dearly,at the end when he is thinking about everything that has happened to him he knows that he cannot do anything to stop what he has already done, Palpatine will kill him and he cannot kill Palpatine alone, he is now weak and pathetic and sad, i do feel sorry for him, but as a Christian i acknowledge his own evil actions got him into that suit in the first place, hes humbled and not as ruthless as he could have been, its like Count Dooku/Darth Tyranus says to Anakin early on "Good, twice the Pride,double the fall!", Vader got cocky and powerfull and fell very hard, hes got a new suit to show for it too, he is worthy of sympathy but only to a point, if you want forgiveness you have only to ask for it or attone for it and he does do this albeit at the very end of his life.

9. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Oh, I'm not saying I don't think Anakin is forgiven at the end of Return of the Jedi. He is, but I just don't feel all that sorry for him until he attempts to atone for what he's done.

10. DarkStarkiller

DarkStarkiller Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 20, 2007
    I don't see how anyone could forgive Vader for what he did - as a matter of fact, I'm actually glad he got torched and had his legs and arm cut off. He got what he deserved.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I can feel sorry for the tragedy of the moment and it's symbology of everything good in the galaxy being hidden away but the individual made his bed and he would lay in it. Anankin did not fall to the darkside, he jumped in with both feet. There are many reasons why both within and out.

12. NelanisGhost

NelanisGhost Jedi Youngling star 4

Jun 24, 2006
    Sympathy, no. Pity, yes.

He was a victim to his emotions and his foolish notion that he could be all things to all people. He didn't have any real master. He wanted to give 100 percent to Padme, the Jedi, Palpatine and himself. He cheated all of them and himself, because he wasn't really and truly committed to anything. The strongest force of the moment won out, but it's not the one he wanted. He didn't really know what he wanted so his choices were made for him. He was too young for all that he had. He couldn't live up to them. It kind of reminds me of Ice Castles (don't laugh), where she sabotages her own career to escape the expectations.

There was a lot going on with Anakin, and it's easy to say he was evil, but he was in a wartime situation. All soldiers murder children. Period. It's part of the job. The enemy is all one nameless faceless person and they are all guilty.

He gets blamed for the galaxy falling, but it was ruined before he was even born. It was fallen before he ever got to Coruscant in the first place, and met Plaps before the Jedi and was treated with more respect. Palps took advantage of his loyalty. Everyone falls all over themselves to cry rivers for Mara, but Anakin was truly no different from her and his relationship with his enslaver was heavily encouraged by his other controllers.

So, yes, I pity that. Jumping from the frying pan into the fire, I think we call it. In his case, literally. But he was not happy nor valued by anyone around him, ever. A man always used and never appreciated.

13. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    To a degree, as I see a fervent undercurrent of fatalism rippling through the PT. Anakin was doomed from conception: sired by the Devil, languishing in indentured servitude, robbed of both his mother and surrogate father, fostered under an inexperienced mentor, nurtured by life-denying dogmatists. All this provides an interesting context, wherein a wicked fisherman extends to the deprived fish the lure of security/salvation in the person of Padme. Certainly, the consequences of said consumption--wholesale slaughter and wife-beating--warrants a good barbecue, but I understand why the fish bit.

Note my sympathy for Anakin/Vader ends with ROTS. In the OT, this practitioner of cosmocide, mass murder, and torture has earned himself a death as miserable as his Greek forebears. I'm still holding out for a ROTJ super-director's cut where Vader's last words are, "Did someone just turn up the heat?"

14. lovelucas

lovelucas Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2004
    unquestionably yes....
    without a doubt.

15. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I didn't feel sorry for him....nor did I hate him for what he did. All I could think about was how bad the last half of the movie turned out to be, and therefore it evoked no emotion of any sort from me T_T

Actually, from what I was expecting from the movie before watching it, I assumed that Vader's rebirth into the armored suit would be a "holy crap!" moment where our hero makes his final transition to evil in the very definition of what it means to turn to the dark side, and leaving us shocked as to how poor little Anakin could have turned out this way. But alas, this turned out not to be the case.

16. Freakzillawht2

Freakzillawht2 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 17, 2007
    I felt sorry for him when he screamed-"NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!"

17. starwarsagent

starwarsagent Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    You shouldn't feel sorry for a cold hearted killer.

18. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    There is a part of me that is sympathetic for Anakin/Vader. Thats the whole point Lucas created the PT, to cast a different light to the more machine than man Darth Vader. He falls because he loves someone and because his training has honed his flaws. He is ultimately tricked into turning to the darkside and loses what he was trying to save the whole time. He sacrifices his soul, his body, his friends and his "family" [if you consider the order his family] for someone in the end, he feels betrayed by and in his unstable state, lashes out and kills her. He spends the rest of his life regretting his actions and remains tied to Sidious with a reminder in his face daily.

Of course I feel pity for Vader, but the youngling slaughter and the force choking scene kinda balances it out.

19. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    I'm only sorry that Luc-as(s) ruined CT-Darth Vader's legacy.
    Vader was not redeemed. It is official now. He was shown one last Jedi lesson, like a mindtrick. Obi-Wan CHOSE to teach that lesson to Anakin, the Force had nothing to do with it. It's all in the new Vader Book.

20. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    Obi-Wan being the one who taught him that doesn't negate his redemption as he still had to be completely selfless to ghost.

21. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    Still doesn't equal redemption, because Kenobi wasn't a god in the GFFA.
    He simply taught him a trick. No more, no less.

22. Master_Starwalker

Sep 20, 2003
    A trick the requires "No attachment, no thought of self. No physical self." I'm also not saying that Kenobi's a god.

23. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    All the "bells and whistles" aside;
    at the end of the Jedi's day,
    it was still just a trick...

24. SithMaster_69

SithMaster_69 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2007
    No. He made his choice. Eyes wide open.

25. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Yes, I feel a little sorry for him. He had issues that he was unable to resolve, in part because he didn't want to do it the hard way. He loved too much and incorrectly. He became selfish when he shouldn't have. He had good intentions, but the road to hell is always paved with good intentions. He got in over his head and instead of looking for help from the right people, he took the hand of the devil and was burned for it. Both metaphorically and literally. Now, in the end, he has lost. He no longer has his wife and will not know about his children for two decades. He will miss out on growing old with his wife and watching his children grow and mature. He will no longer be able to live a normal life, forever stuck in a forty pound suit of armor and kept alive by machines.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.