main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I grew up with the OT and I completely adore the PT. As others have said, it made Star Wars a saga and added many layers to the already existing movies. The way GL has composed this series is awe-inspiring.
    All the movies are greatly entertaining, IMO - and Jar Jar is actually one of my favorite characters.

Gungans - they have tongues
    /LM

2. -Princess-Leah

-Princess-Leah Jedi Youngling

Nov 4, 2012
    i love jar jar

CoolyFett and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  3. The Corellian

The Corellian Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 16, 2012
    The prequels and I have a love-hate relationship. I absolutely love parts of TPM and ROTS, but I can't really stand AOTC. So, I guess I adore parts of them and hate others.

SpecterSquadronLeader likes this.
  4. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    I was born in 1978, and grew up with the OT too. I remember seeing ROTJ in the theater when I was 5 years old and having all of the original action figures as a kid, and I LOVE the prequels.

5. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    I was 18 when Star Wars came out (now known as "A New Hope", and saw the movie when it ran it originally over a year in theatres probably about 20 times, then eagerly awaiting the sequel.

I originally saw the PT movies without any prejudices (IE: wan not a Ewan fan yet), so I saw them purely with the fascination of seeing the stories we'd only heard about in the OT being played out, and LOVED the birth of the twins.

But it is when I became a fan of Obi-Wan as played by Ewan that I became the huge fan I am today.

CoolyFett and obi-rob-kenobi4 like this.
  6. Neon Genesis

Neon Genesis Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    I'm actually somewhat of the opposite here. I grew up with the originals but I only got to see the 97 special editions in theaters. I initially was very disappointed in episode 1 when it came out to the point I didn't bother to see the others in theaters and I refused to watch them for years out of principle. I eventually saw them when I found a cheap copy of the prequels DVD boxset at FYE. I ended up genuinely enjoying episodes II and III and I've come to appreciate episode I for what it was more and I've actually become somewhat more critical of the original trilogy these days though I still enjoy the originals the best.

7. Jobertus

Jobertus Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yes I did grow up with the OT, I'm 31 so I came around at the tail end of the original saga. The PT was not what I had pictured in my mind, but I loved it and all of its warts. It forced a paradigm shift in my view of the Star Wars galaxy, that prompted me in my curiosity to know about what happened to Luke, Leia, and Han post-RotJ to start to read the post-RotJ EU. Jar Jar Binks may not be my favorite character, but I look it as a progressive move by GL--the first developmentally disabled Star Wars character. I expect a similar paradigm shift in view of Star Wars in 2015.

8. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    Newcomers to Star Wars should NEVER listen to all the anti-jar-jar craze. Its a forced trend. Watch the films in the correct order (1-6) and decide for yourself what you like.

Like George lucas has said: In every fairy tale there is always the magical little frog on the side of the rode that nobody believes in until he ends up helping to save the day somehow. And thats basically jar-jar in a nutshell. Qui-gon-jinn is the one person who believes in him and at the end of the movie he saves the day by helping to unite the two society's of the gungans and naboo. And the wonderfully simple main moral of TPM is that those who can put aside their prejudice and learn to work together and help each other will survive. What do you think that glowing ball Bass Nass holds up at the end of the movie represents? It represents sharing. The sharing of resources. The resources that the greedy trade federation started the whole invasion over because their greedy corporation didn't want to pay their fair share in taxes. What does Boss Nass say when he holds it up? He says "Peace!" The last word of the film.@};-

Its a very liberal/humanitarian/eastern philosophy that starts off the saga in Episode 1. And considering the film portrays the last era of the jedi its wonderfully appropriate.

Jar-jar and the whole gungan/naboo thing simply represents sharing and getting along. Thats all. Thats why if you attack Jar-Jar the understanding of the whole film starts to fall apart. Because he is a big and important part of all the good morals and fairy tale themes and symbolism going on in that film and in SW overall. And THAT is why there is SO MUCH genuine confusion when people watch that film because if you go in trying to block out jar-jar you miss the whole point!!!

Its very ironic that the whole thing with him is about tolerance and people cant get that message because they are INTOLERANT of him before the movie even begins.

Thats why many fans now a days really do genuinely believe this whole (tired, endless) anti-jar-jar fad needs to calm down so casual people can at least get the truth about the film first and THEN judge it for themselves. Thats a good way to put it. Get the truth and the facts FIRST and then judge from that rather than all the bias hyperbole.[face_coffee]

9. Darth Georgia

Darth Georgia Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    Born in 1978 and I love STAR WARS period and get so sick of the OT/PT battles.

10. Neon Genesis

Neon Genesis Jedi Padawan

Nov 4, 2012
    People tend to think that the movies they grew up as kids watching are better than the movies of today in general. Most Star Wars fans grew up as kids with the originals and so they're looking at the originals through rose-colored glasses and focus on the darker/more epic elements of the originals than the more lighter kid friendly stuff. What they forget is that Star Wars was always a children's franchise and even with the originals there were always a certain kid friendly element to them, everything from C3PO and R2D2 to the Ewoks saving the day in ROJ. But they're looking at the prequels from the perspective of an adult and not as a kid and not realizing that the kids of today are watching the prequels from the same perspective they watched the originals as kids. It's like with Michael Bay's Transformers. The diehard fans of the cartoon were already bashing the live-action Transformers movie even before it came out for being different from the cartoon but they forgot that the original cartoon had lots of hokey cheesy aspects to it as well and they're looking at the Transformers movies from a perspective of an adult and not as a kid which was the main target audience of Transformers.

11. darthgator1217

darthgator1217 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2005
    Yes.

I have enjoyed the prequels very much. I particularly love TPM.

I think a lot of people praise the OT simple because it is "classic". Don't get me wrong, the OT is incredible. It's just that when people praise ROTJ and bash the prequels, I know they are full of it.

12. SaberJedi2

SaberJedi2 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2007
    I love both trilogies equally, but in different ways. I can remember watching ANH and ROTJ nearly every day when I was a kid, but find myself staying "tuned" into the PT when I pass by them when they're playing on Spike.

13. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I saw ANH in '78 when it was first re-released (if memory serves...). I was 7 years old, was bowled completely over and became a fanatic...haha!

I've loved the Prequels just as much, and am happy to say I saw them many times over in the theaters. I still don't own the Saga on Bluray...I've been very broke for a while now. Sadface

14. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    Didn't see the IT until the mid 90s, when i was old enough and able to understand them. I was definitely a product of the Special Edition and the PT, but i will say, i prefer the OT. Twas my first intorduction to sci-fi, (besides oBSG) but the OT i remember because it has stuck with me over time.

15. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    I grew up watching the Special Edition VHS versions of the OT. At the time, I didn't even realize that they were updated versions. I watched those movies repeatedly, mainly for Darth Vader and the lightsaber fights.

I was young, but I remember when The Phantom Menace came out. I remember seeing it in theaters and enjoying it a lot. When the AOTC DVD came out, I would watch that even more than the OT. And I thought Revenge of the Sith was the best movie ever made, at the time.

So yeah, I love all of them.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  16. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    The unaltered ones have a special kind of magic to them that is hard to challenge.

17. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Only because of the nostalgia.

18. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    maybe. But depends on your Point of view.

SpecterSquadronLeader likes this.
  19. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Sure. Only the Sith deals with absolutes ;)

Andy Wylde likes this.
  20. Darth_Kiryan

Mar 13, 2009
    that statement is an absolute

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    No, it's a paradox ;)

22. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    I'm from 1972. I love them all, but ROTS is my favorite of the bunch.

23. Veloz

Veloz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2004
    My first movie going experience that i'm very well aware of was watching ROTJ on the big screen, and u know why i remember it so well? because they had a marathon with ANH and ESB right before it. It was magical.

And i completely agree with ur post =D=

24. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    I love the PT and the OT and the New ones yet to come. I also like the EU and all of its glorious background information. Due to the movies (open ended events and references galore) and many thanks to the extensive selection of books, I have (at least in my head) continued the most epic tale in the galaxy. IM ALL IN!

25. Julius Vernon

Julius Vernon Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 7, 2012
    The first film I saw in the theaters was Episode IV. I was fortunate enough to also see V and VI in theaters and these rank among the most monumental experiences of my childhood.

I saw each of the prequels at midnight showings for first release. I loved certain aspects of these films and they gave me chills and butterflies at times. As time has wore on I would rank the films like this:

V
    IV
    III
    VI
    I
    II

But I enjoy all of them.