main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 1, 2012.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Yes.

2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    I have also seen PT haters saying true fans only like the OOT which is also BS. You have the right to like as much or as little of something as you want and still be a fan.

Rabs, Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  3. -Jedi Joe-

-Jedi Joe- Jedi Master star 2

May 6, 2013
    I didn't necessarily "grow up" with the OT but I did watch it on VHS when I was 5, a year before TPM came out. Does that count? :p

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not quite. Growing up means that between at least 1974 through 1994, you watched the OT films as often as you could, as you aged. You went to theaters multiple times to see each OT film, because your parents didn't have cable yet and a VCR. You played with the toys and took an interest in the EU. You wore the clothes and had the posters. I fall under this category in many respects, but not all. That said, when the PT came around, I enjoyed it. I saw TPM twice in theaters, AOTC one and ROTS three times. AOTC only had one because I couldn't afford a second viewing and ROTS had three because I did a marathon and needed to go see it. So even then, I loved the films and didn't have problems with it.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Is it considered "growing up with the OT" if they were already all out by the time you were born? I mean, I "grew up with" Harry Potter, the LotR movies, and the Prequel Trilogy of course, but the OT were practically the only movies I watched until I was 8... so really it's more like they were pre-uploaded into my consciousness.

EDIT: Wow, I guess If I bothered to read the post *directly* above this one, then I wouldn't have to ask. :p

Andy Wylde likes this.
  6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    By that definition I didn't "grow up" with the OT either. I probably saw them each once in the theater; my parents weren't big on spending the money to see the same movie more than one time, plus transportation, etc. I played with the toys, wore my hair like Princess Leia did, but no posters. We got a VCR when I was 12 or so but I didn't own the movies on VHS until I was an adult, my first set was the 1995 one.

But I think I grew up with the OT.

7. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I got into Star Wars leading up to the prequels. So grew up with both but could only watch the OT at any time plus whatever PT movie had come out................. Does that count?

8. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest that no one was watching the OT films in 1974.

9. The Star Wars Archivist

The Star Wars Archivist Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 22, 2013
    I grew up with the Original Trilogy, and it was great.

That does't mean as soon as prequels come out I hate them... they were just as fun to watch.

And Jar Jar? Nothing wrong with a bit of a comical character. Star Wars needed a bit of a clown besides C-3PO and R2.

Andy Wylde and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    I grew up with the OT SE, and TPM came out when i was in 1st grade. I don't love the PT like I do the OT, but I do find it highly enjoyable.

11. DARTH FATHEAD

DARTH FATHEAD Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2013
  12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

You still grew up with the OT if you were born between 1974 and 1989. Myself, I was born in 78 and didn't see ANH until I was four in 82. I saw ROTJ in 83 and TESB on HBO in 85-86. Can't recall which month it was, but it was winter time. So I grew up with the OT in that regard, just as my older siblings grew up with it and they were born in 71 and 73. They saw ANH in the Drive-In a month after I was born. They went to TESB by June of 80. And they saw ROTJ at the same time as I did.

Owning the films isn't a factor here, so long as you watched them in some format. Be it at the movies, on cable or network television.

No, but if you were born in 74 and you saw it in 77 or 78, then you qualify as growing up with the OT. If you were five in 74 and saw it in 77, then you grew up with it. That's a bit of an arbitrary year, but it serves the basic purpose.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  13. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    I was 4 years old when Star Wars came out and it was the first live action film that I ever saw at the cinema. It would be impossible to overstate how big an impact it has had on my life.

I loved the PT and still do. I have always felt that the vast majority of whining and trolling about them was a massive overreaction to relatively minor flaws. There are far too may people who really only wanted 3 movies of Darth Vader killing Jedi (but usually try to dress up their sulk over not getting this in more serious sounding drama criticism...).

Overall I think that the OT is better. The chemistry of the actors is much better in the OT and the overuse of CGI is damaging to the PT. Also some of the script's shortcomings in the PT really are damaging, especially the romance sequences in AotC.

OTOH I watch the PT far more often than the OT. The CGI enabled a far richer and deeper look at the Star Wars universe so there's immense depth that rewards repeated viewing.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Love, no. Though over the years I have seen that PT has it's merits while maintaining a preference for the OT.

Darth Ardyti and Force Smuggler like this.
  15. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    I answer the OP with a hearty "yes":) And the films tied as my top two faves (ESB and ROTS) are drawn from both sets of films.

Will be interesting to see what my initial impressions of TFA are...

Andy Wylde likes this.
  16. Malcolm Reynolds

Malcolm Reynolds Jedi Master star 5

Sep 2, 2013
    Yes and yes. It is indeed possible:p

17. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    Yes, I grew up with the OT, and was initially apathetic towards TPM, but after AOTC was released(a film I loved from the first viewing on)I revisited TPM and began to realize how much more interesting the prequel universe was to me.

-Jedi Joe- and Andy Wylde like this.
  18. Andy Wylde

Andy Wylde Jedi Master star 4

Jun 26, 2014
    I love the SAGA!

FRAGWAGON and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  19. Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers

Tarkin's Fuzzy Slippers Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 18, 2014
    *raises hand*, even though I like the OT better.

20. maychild

maychild Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 16, 2013
    I grew up with the OT and I love the prequels.

And there are a lot more people that don't hate Jar Jar than we're supposed to think.

FRAGWAGON, Andy Wylde and Iron_lord like this.
  21. Ord-Mantell70

Ord-Mantell70 Jedi Master star 3

Mar 9, 2009
    Roughly my position. Especially about TPM, that I learned to appreciate more and more over the years after the 1999 initial letdown.

I was born in 1971, so I can say I really grew up with the OT...

That's why I clearly prefer the OT either. Plus suited Vader's awesome and threatening presence, more simple and straightforward story, better visuals and designs to me, no prophecy and overtly religious tone.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  22. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Yes.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  23. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    Ord-Mantell70 wrote:
    Sorry, what do you mean by this?

24. Crystalia

Crystalia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 24, 2013
    Sorry, what do you mean by this?
    ---------

the explanations that may follow may include such words as "immaculate conception" do not be fooled, as those that use such words know not what they mean when together in context :p (as in I never knew that Anakin was supposed to represent Mary -???-)

but not to speak for Ord Mantell I assume he refers to "the force impregnated Shmi" scene and/or the chosen one prophesy.

25. Iron Lung

Iron Lung Jedi Youngling

Jan 4, 2015
    Yeah, I'd presumed this was probably what Ord mantell was getting at but thought I'd better check. FWIW I'd presumed that the whole 'virgin birth', Force Messaiah controversy would've gone away considering the implication in RotS that it was actually the Sith that created Anakin.