main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you grow up with the OT and still love the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jason79, Nov 1, 2012.

1. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    When I was a kid, I watched the OT before seeing TPM in theaters.

During my childhood, I never had concrete favorites when it came to Star Wars. On one hand, I loved the large-scale battles and fast-paced lightsaber duels of the PT. On the other hand, I loved the characterization, the character's journeys, and the depicted nature of the Force of the OT.

In truth, the PT is a separate entity with its own distinctive elements and tone. People who thought the PT was going to be very similar to the OT were disappointed and became Prequel haters.

The only thing I will concede to is that the chemistry of the characters felt weaker than that of the OT. Nevertheless, I never hated the PT and never will.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  2. Darth Schlotkin

Darth Schlotkin Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 6, 2015

3. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Ok, I'll stop to argue after your responses. Our vision, what a movie is, are too different.

Darth Schlotkin likes this.
  4. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    I don't know if this is sermonizing or not, but the point is it's more accurate to say ''i don't like 'x' story and/or 'x' performance'' than ''the story is bad & acting is bad'' (especially when no arguement is given to back it up).
    Apart from both story&acting being good or bad being purely subjective and dependant on taste (mainly) , the latter way of expression described before inherently suggests opinion is fact.

Messi likes this.
  5. Tackelberry

Tackelberry Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 28, 2014
    I didn't grow up on the OT, but I saw all of them multiple times before I saw the prequels. All the movies are good in their own way. In my opinion, they should (along with The Clone Wars and all future Star Wars media) be view as a single story, not splitting them up and judging them by themselves.

It's all Star Wars. And Star Wars is awesome.

6. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005

It's a unique thing incarnated into the world.

Where else are you going to find humming lightsabers, characters having a "bad feeling about this", splendid planetary vistas, stick robots falling to an invisible "Force" push, tottering men in white plastic, Millennium Falcons, Wookiees, Death Stars, arguments in Death Star conference rooms that end in telekinetic chokes, elfin Jedi Masters who beat up disagreeable robots with walking sticks, and a whole host of other visionary and goofy goodness?

7. NowTHISIsPodRacing

NowTHISIsPodRacing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2015
    Didn't really grow up with either. I just saw all 6 films within the last 2 months.

I think Empire Strikes Back is the best film.

In regards to the prequels, I don't think they're as good as the originals, but they aren't necessarily as bad as people make them out to be. A lot of the criticisms that the prequels face are either personal preferences (not wanting Anakin to be kid or not wanting an ensemble cast in TPM, for instance), or they are stuff that could easily be applied to the original trilogy (no one talks about how badly acted the Obi-wan vs Darth Vader battle was, for instance). Attack of the Clones was the only truly bad film of the prequels.

I might have to rewatch them, but I enjoyed The Phantom Menace as a standalone work. The ensemble plot and everything coming together was well done in my opinion. Revenge of the sith was alright (the awkward lines/acting notwithstanding), and the only real flaw was the fact that the previous films (especially Episode 2) didn't build it up well enough.

8. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    And TCW takes care of this flawlessly.

SpecterSquadronLeader likes this.
  9. NowTHISIsPodRacing

NowTHISIsPodRacing Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2015
    Yeah, from what I've heard The Clone Wars CGI series is really good (esepcially as it goes on). I plan to watch it at some point.

Isn't the original Clone Wars animated series good too?

10. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Well, I'll give you my viewpoint. My earliest memories of SW was watching ANH and ESB on VHS with my dad. I was hooked. All the figures, big figures of Fett and a stormtrooper (like action man size) The Falcon, an AT-AT, Luke's speeder from ANH, Hans blaster etc. Christmases were great :). And my dad took me to see ROTJ when it came out. I loved it. I'd kinda drifted away from Star Wars when the prequels were announced. But it reignited mine (and my friends) love of Star Wars. Lucas was finally going to tell us how Anakin became Vader. Cool. We were genuinely excited, even though the eventual outcome of the films wasn't going to be a surprise. Anyway, I distinctly remember 4 of us walking back to my friends car after having seen TPM, and nothing was really said. It was like a stunned silence. Overall none of us liked it. Saying that, there were different bits we did like. Personally I liked the Qui Gonn and Maul confrontation on Tattoine, and Coruscant was cool. But the one thing, apart from all the other perceived flaws of the films that resonated in my mind? Was I just could not connect with the way Lucas had decided to portray Anakin. And there really was no onus on me to do that. Just me and one other friend sat through the next 2 episodes. Look, at the end of the day, if people liked them then ok. Each to their own. I just couldn't connect the 2 trilogies together. Yeah you had Yoda, Obi wan (Ewan Mcgregor actually grew on me) but, and it's a personal opinion, I just did not like them. When you find yourself wincing through a film because you find the script is painfully bad, and most of the acting is very sub par and the plot feels very contrived? None of us sat down in that cinema with a negative mindset like 'this is gonna be crap, it won't be a patch on the originals' So no, is the answer to your question :)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  11. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    Yeah, I recommend watching both even thought the '03 one is non canon. If you watch it chronlogically, stop when Anakin gets his eye scar and then there should eb a list for Chronological order in TCW series. Then you you've finished, watch the rest of the '03 series.

12. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    hell yeah, i grew up to the original trilogy unaltered and absolutely adore the prequels.....

13. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014

This I watched the OT 6 years before I watched anything PT related I was a bit late to star wars but I love them both.

14. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    OT Vader presumably has the same midichlorian count that Anakin had in the PT. His later loss in potential was arguably related to being burned up, truncated and on a form of life-support with his breathing controlled by a machine, but not something specifically to do with midichlorians per se.

Iron_lord likes this.
  15. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

16. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    How was the midichlorian count determined in TPM? By grinding up Anakin's body and feeding it into a machine, or by looking at blood cells?

It doesn't matter. Midichlorian count is a cell concentration.

Who says that the ability to communicate with the Force is not at all dependent on something biological? Midichlorian count is not necessarily the only thing that can influence Force potential.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU, Midi-chlorians leave the body at (or possibly near) the moment of death.

And in The Rise & Fall of Darth Vader, it's hinted that anesthetics can "thin" them:

Anakin awoke on an operating table, surrounded by droids. The recently appointed Emperor Palpatine had brought him to a surgical reconstruction center on Coruscant, and the droids were busily attaching robotic limbs to his quivering torso, which was strapped to the table by strong metal belts. The droids were working fast to maintain the precious midi-chlorians that existed in Anakin's blood and tissue. To prevent the midi-chlorians from becoming thinned by intrusive chemicals, the droids were working without anesthetics.
    Anakin felt everything.
    He felt each cold metal blade that sliced into his hideously scarred flesh to allow more tools to probe and stabilize his damaged internal organs. He squirmed as shattered bones were replaced by plastoid, and cringed as lasers grafted the new limbs into place. At some point, he overheard a surgical droid explaining to Palpatine that he would require a special helmet and backpack to cycle air in and out of his damaged lungs.
    Despite this damage, throughout the entire procedure, he never stopped screaming.

The junior novelization of RoTS references Vader's injuries making a big difference to his potential, too:

As the Imperial shuttle closed its wings and settled on the topmost landing platform, Darth Sidious saw a small starship fleeing from Mustafar. But he could not order the shuttle into pursuitthe uneasy urgency was stronger than ever, and it was tied to the planet, not the ship.
    The clone troopers disembarked first, fanning out through the quiet building to make sure nothing would endanger their Emperor. They found only bodies. Then, as Darth Sidious inspected the control room, one of the troopers came in through an exterior door.
    "There's something out here," he reported.
    That's it. As quickly as he could, Darth Sidious followed the troopers outside, onto the black sand banks of the lava river. No, it can't be!
    But it was. His promising new apprentice, who was to be the greatest Sith who'd ever lived—maimed and burned, perhaps dead. Darth Sidious ground his teeth in frustrated anger. Part of him wanted to turn on his heel and leave what was left of Darth Vader to burn to ashes in the rising lava. Even if he was alive, even if he could be saved, Vader would be crippled.
    And not just with his mechanical limbs. The Force—dark side as well as light—was generated by living beings, and it took living flesh to manipulate it. Darth Vader would never be able to cast blue Force lightning; that required living hands, not metal ones. And with so much of his body replaced by machinery, he would never come close to the potential he'd had.
    It was a great pity, Darth Sidious thought, controlling his anger, but perhaps not irreparable. Even diminished, Darth Vader would still be very strong, and there were no Jedi left to challenge him. Darth Sidious had seen to that himself. So he kept walking until he could bend over the body. And to his surprise, his apprentice was still alive.
    Relief swept his doubts away. "Get a medical capsule immediately," Darth Sidious commanded, and clones ran off to do his bidding. Leaning down, he placed a hand on Darth Vader's forehead, using the dark side to keep him alive.

I believe those were put in as references to Lucas saying in an interview that Anakin's injuries reduced his maximum Force potential, from double the Emperor's, to something like 80% of it. It's possible that I'm misunderstanding what I've been told though.

AndyLGR and Darth Zannah like this.
  18. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015
    I won't dwelve on EU explanations of which i know nothing about anyway
    The midichlorians work as a simple explanation needed by the movies to explain why Anakin lost Force potential.

19. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    Why would the midichlorian count in OT Vader's blood cells be any different from the one in TPM?

It doesn't matter. Midichlorian count is a cell concentration.

Where do the movies say that midichlorian count is the only possible factor involved in Force potential?

The lost potential is explained well enough by his injuries themselves, as opposed to midichlorians lost in those injuries. Midichlorians were used to explain a different topic: how the Jedi select potential candidates.

20. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

21. Arawn_Fenn

Jul 2, 2004
    It doesn't matter. The movies never talk about "total number of midichlorians in a body" and thus it has not been shown to have any relevance at all.

According to The Phantom Menace ( and its writer ).

When has Lucas ever mentioned "total midichlorians"? Like his characters, he fails to actually discuss such a quantity, for some reason.

No, Lucas never said that.

No. That's why OT Vader's midichlorian count would be the same as TPM Anakin's if the midichlorian count was obtained the same way. It only changes if you change the definition of midichlorian count after the fact.

Did you notice any Jedi younglings that were armless, legless, and burned to a crisp?

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    While "midichlorians" aren't mentioned, the fact that there's not much of Vader left, is stated to "curb" his powers.

"Anakin, as Skywalker, as a human being, was going to be extremely powerful, but he ended up losing his arms and a leg and became partly a robot. So a lot of his ability to use the Force, a lot of his powers, are curbed at this point, because, as a living form, there’s not that much of him left. So his ability to be twice as good as the Emperor disappeared, and now he’s maybe 20 percent less than the Emperor. So that isn’t what the Emperor had in mind. He wanted this really super guy, but that got derailed by Obi-Wan. So he finds that, with Luke, he can get a more primo version if he can turn Luke to the Dark Side. You’ll see, as this goes on, Luke is faced with the same issues and practically the same scenes that Anakin is faced with. Anakin says yes and Luke says no."

—-George Lucas, quoted in J. Windolf, “Star Wars: The Last Battle,” Vanity Fair, 2005

23. Darth Schlotkin

Jan 6, 2015

24. Tackelberry

Sep 28, 2014
    There's nothing wrong with Midichlorians. As said in TPM, every living thing in the Star Wars galaxy has them. It doesn't detract from what Yoda said about the Force in TESB. All it does is give reason for why Jedi are such a special thing. You need X amount before you can start levitating stuff. Before the PT, there was the notion that anyone could be a Jedi, since the force flowed through all things. It just makes it so Billybobjoe can't train and became more powerful than the Emperor.

I think it would be kinda silly for this stuff to happen every other day, wouldn't it? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Silus

The Most Cunning Jedi likes this.
  25. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Oddly I love all six and was 5 in 1977 when the original came out.

Easy for me.