main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

TV Discussion Did you like Clone Wars? Do you like Rebels?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SatineNaberrie, Feb 25, 2015.

?

What Star Wars shows do you like?

Poll closed Mar 18, 2015.
  1. Clone Wars (CGI)

83.8%
  2. Rebels

69.1%
  3. Clone Wars (2D animation)

63.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    Yes, yes and yes.

1- TCW (2008-2014) - Currently my favorite of the three. It admittedly had a rough start (and seeing the movie again after seeing the end of the series will really tell you the series had come a long way), but it got better and better with time. Regardless, I still enjoyed it all the way through.
    2 - Rebels - It had a better start than TCW's, but right now, not quite as awesome as that show's later seasons. Mostly a result of Season 1 mostly being set on Lothal (even TCW Season 1 had plenty of settings to use despite its limited budget at the time). But as its predecessor series proved, things can still change.
    3 - Tartakovsky's Clone Wars (2003) - Awesome to watch all the way through, but are the Vol. 1 episodes just too short-lived (Vol. 2 fixed that to an extent). And sadly, it doesn't have as much of the likeable Anakin characterization as TCW 2008 had. And no, I'm not going to say anything about the shortage of dialogue as that's just a usual Tartakovsky stylistic choice (something I've observed in recent years with Symbionic Titan and rewatching Samurai Jack).

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  2. Darth Blade

Darth Blade Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 29, 2014
    I love both TCW and Rebels. CW 2D was just okay.

TCW and Rebels are very different shows. TCW had really high highs and some so-so episodes, but that was understandable given the breadth of the show. There were unlimited stories to tell in terms of all the characters and locations. However there wasn't much depth there. There was never the ability to really build the story beyond a few episodes in an arc.

Rebels has the potential to be better overall because of the amount of depth they can put into the show. It's one HUGE arc. They can do small things such as introducing a character like Zare in one episode, come back to him several episodes later, with the potential for tons more with his search for his sister and his relationship with Ezra. There are plenty more examples - Tseebo, Vizago, Ezra's parents, Bail, Fulcrum (obviously), etc. if they explore the potential of the characters they've just introduced so far across multiple seasons, all as part of one huge story arc, it has the potential to overtake TCW. But if they get sloppy with it, or have too many red herrings, then it will never reach its potential.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pepoluan and shorttrooper like this.
  3. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Are you hoping for some of the Disney characters to be killed off? They are hinting someone may die soon.

4. shorttrooper

shorttrooper Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 3, 2014
    1. Love TCW, great show, hands down. But like a lot of people here have said it did have its less than stellar story arcs. But the good parts were really good and better than anything I've seen out of Rebels yet.

2. Rebels. This show has the potential to be fantastic in its own right. I think a lot of stuff that's going on right now is setup for things that will happen later on. So I think it's a little too soon to pass judgment on it.

3. Clone Wars. Second half was definitely better than the first half as the stories had a little more time to develop. I loved Obi-Wan in these. But overall I found them to be too short.

5. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Yes.

6. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I like all three of them as well as the Ewoks cartoon. Can't remember if I ever saw the Droids cartoon and I never picked up the DVD release that had a handful of the Droids and Ewoks episodes. Out of the four series I have seen I'd probably rank them:

The Clone Wars
    Rebels
    Ewoks
    Clone Wars

Might be a bit odd ordering to some but Clone Wars was too short and over the top at times. Besides, the Ewoks are just too adorable. :D

PS: I hold out hope that someday we'll get a complete series DVD releases for Droids and Ewoks(even if they're non-canon now).

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Don't worry, Chopper would probably kill her. And his journey to the darkside will be complete!

8. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    The Clone Wars was fantastic animated television, and it was a wonderful introduct to Star Wars for my daughter. It has made introducing her to the OT that much stronger, she despises Vader for killing Anakin, because she only knows Anakin as the hero. Whole when I show her ESB, the Yoda reveal won't be meaningful, it's be a worthwhile trade off to get her a connection to Anakin, since I won't show her the prequels until after we've finished the OT.

As an event, Genndy's Clone War mini series was my favorite depiction of a Clone War series as presented as a film, or event. It was beautifully told, and provided a tight narrative that so brilliantly dives into ROTS.

Finally, Rebels is the best Star Wars I've seen on television. Frankly, it's the best series on television right now, animation, live action, bar none. Rebels has been meticulously crafted, as I often say, building to a crescendo and the birth of the Rebellion. It's such a tightly woven narrative with some of the best casts of characters on tv right now. And the animation, absolutely stunning. Their eyes alone emit so much life and emotion, it's chillingly immersive.

So, concluding, I love Star Wars on television, it's a natural fit, but Rebels has been my favorite.

9. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    all. didn't vote.

10. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    Its multiple choice. You can select all 3 as far as I know at least that's how I intended the voting to work.

11. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    I started off liking TCW...then it went into "meh" territory, then "argh" territory when they started contradicting stuff from the EU...then they did Mortis and Darth Maul's resurrection and then it was just "wtf".

Rebels, started off kinda "meh" for me, but I kept watching it just because it was there and I was sorta curious to see where it would go. The characters have grown on me a bit, and the show's gone up to "okay" and "entertaining", but nothing that quite blows me away yet.

Microseries...first half was a bit meh, but second half I definitely liked.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  12. lookameatbag

lookameatbag Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2014
    Clone Wars- I feel this show captures the spirit of the movies. I wished they could've made the episodes longer but I enjoyed every minute of this show.There's nothing cringe worthy and it fits better into the saga better than the other two shows IMO.

The Clone Wars- While I hate the movie with a passion, the series wasn't as bad. There were some episodes I actually enjoyed but much of it was too goofy and light-hearted for me to take serious and since we've had another Clone Wars show before that, I don't see any point in it existing.

Rebels- Not as awesome as the micro series but not terrible like the TCW movie. Some of the humor is painful to sit through and the animation gives me the creeps at times but it's going to take more than that to scare me off. I would've rather have had a show set in between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back but from what I've seen of this cartoon so far, it's decent.

Maybe they can get Genndy Tartakovsky to make another Star Wars cartoon one day.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and CoolyFett like this.
  13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Clone Wars: Out of the three, this is my favorite. It fits in nicely between AOTC and ROTS. It also fits in nicely with other EU. Grievous, Durge, and the rest of the villains are great and actually terrifying. Covers some pretty important points, like Anakin's knighthood. The only thing I don't like is that I wish there more.

The Clone Wars: I want to like this show. There are a few things about it I enjoy. I like the Clones. It has some great duels like the Savage/Maul vs Sidious. But, there also a lot of things I don't like. I don't like Ahsoka. I don't like the inconsistencies with the EU. Moraband? There's absolutely no reason why it couldn't stay Korriban. Also some of it really isn't about the Clone Wars. I mean do we really need Droid arcs? The villains, particuarly Dooku and Grievous are absolutely pathetic and embarrassing weaklings. Dooku was the best swordman of the Jedi and yet he gets kidnapped by pirates? C'mon!

Rebels: I've only watched a few episodes. It's not horrible, but it hasn't set my world on fire.

14. Mr. Atom Bomb

Mr. Atom Bomb Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 3, 2012
    I think I've still gotta give it to the original CW. I just love how it built up the opening of ROTS so well. TCW has a handful of episodes that I truly enjoy, but they hardly make up for the majority of episodes that I felt were just okay, let alone the occasionally TERRIBLE arc. So far I'm liking Rebels more than I did TCW, and who knows, it might actually grow into something I can really get behind. Too early to say on that front though.

15. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    You Guys realize you can vote for all the options.

16. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Eli Porter says The Clone Wars is the best Maaaaaayyyn.

17. snackynak

snackynak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 19, 2006
    For me, I liked the clone wars micro series the best. It was made by the same guy who made Dexters Lab, Samurai Jack, and Powerpuff Girls, so it had that same dark and wierd comic strip feel to the series. There are fan versions on YouTube that cut and edit the episodes together so that they appear like a seemless 2 hour movie by removing the intros and repeat sections. I like those versions better, as it makes it easier to watch.

TWC was good because it covered a wider character range, however, they probably could have cut out the Jar Jar arcs from the series. At first I couldnt stand Ahsoka either, but over the course of the series her character matured and became pretty good and was less annoying.

Rebels comes last for now, as not much has really happened and the story has stayed very contained. We'll see how it goes once they start adding more peripheral story arcs and characters.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW beats both

19. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    Why is small bad?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. pepoluan

pepoluan Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 4, 2015
    I don't think Rebels will do any peripheral story arcs.

It's a "chronicle" type of storytelling instead of TCW's "anthology" type of storytelling.

It's kind of like great animes or mangas: It has a start, a linear story, an end. No peripheral arcs, just off-center scenes that will quickly get back to the 'main' POV.

21. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    CW is a good Legends add in material.(cool Samurai Jack style and nice short stories)
    TCW is a great complex canonical series like I-III.(adds much to the saga as a series describing The Clone Wars period)
    Rebels is a small size in style of IV-VI; good but its still growing and it will get better

22. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Exactly. And I much prefer "chronicle" type storytelling myself. With TCW later seasons, a lot of the arcs opened with my asking how the hell we ended up there, what does this plot/setting have to do with the war, where in the timeline was this supposed to take place again, and how do these characters even know each other?

pepoluan likes this.
  23. Hevy

Hevy Jedi Padawan

Mar 11, 2015
    I like all 3 shows, mainly because theyare Star Wars. But for me Rebels is the top show. I feel more invloved in the characters because we start of fresh and learn about each charcter as we go along with no previous knowledge.

With the Clone Wars 3D we are jumping into the middle of story and already have notion on how the characters should act and their outcomes. When we started CW we knew the eventual outcome and we were watching the inbetween. So if we thought Anakin did something out of character we could point it out and complain if necessary. But with Rebels we have no idea where its going or how we are going to get there.

pepoluan likes this.
  24. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Do you see any point in Rebels existing?

25. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I go back and forth with Rebels, one night I'm like ''**** YEAH Rebels ! :D'' and the next day I'm like ''This show stole TCW from me :_|''