main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did you like ep1 better than ep2?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by sith99, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FuzzyRatt

FuzzyRatt Jedi Youngling star 3

May 16, 2003
    I just made a post listing the 4 things I di not like about TPM and the 16 things I do not like about AOTC. I am hoping this post will force the other on out of hiding.

Edit: That flushed it out of hiding. :D

2. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    Having the last post on a page isn't fun.

I frankly disagree with your point of view that the Yoda/Dooku duel was supposed to be a 'serious' scene. The more serious duel was Anakin/Dooku. I view Yoda/Dooku as just a fun piece of butt-whooping.

I would equate its function to that of, say, Luke vs. all those silly guys on the sail barge (I watched ROTJ recently so I have it on the brain). I don't view that scene as one of drama and power, but rather more of a "Wheee, fun Jedi action! Go Yoda!" scene.

I laughed, hollered and cheered during the Yoda duel. And frankly we need more movies that get the audience to stand up and cheer.

EDIT:
    15:Termites Built the Death Star!: This is wrong on more levels than I can talk about on this board. It is one of the worst thing in any SW product. It is just wrong!
    What? What the hell?!?!!
    First of all, we don't know about 'built', just 'designed'.
    And what's wrong with that? Why is this worse than it being designed by a bunch of Imperial white guys? We learn that the Geonosians, allies of Dooku, had a plan for this thing. How does this diminish the coolness of the Death Star we know?
    I know it throws a bit of a monkey wrench in the EU, but I don't THINK that's your beef...

Rick McCallum loves you!

3. Jango_from_Kamino

Jango_from_Kamino Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2002
    I think there was alot more hype for Ep 1,which really added alot of excitement for me.The build up was much greater,it was like everywhere u looked it was SW.With aotc it was like lets hurry up and get it out there.For Ep 1 u had lots of people standing in line forever,and they had that on the news,biggest call in to work day ever.So for me,Phantom menace all the way!

4. filmfreakazoid

filmfreakazoid Jedi Youngling

May 11, 2003
    "The Jedi are now the fools; spice miner??

LMAO!!

I also had a problem with the Jedi and how inept they appeared in AOTC...I felt like reaching through the screen to shake Mace!! "Hello...that a$$hole Sith is right across the desk from!"

ff

5. filmfreakazoid

May 11, 2003
    Now let me list the problems with AOTC:
    1:The Jedi are now the fools; spice miner?
    2:No Sabe; I feel nothing for the bodyguard that is liked because she is just a plot point. If it had been Sabe, I would have known her and could feel something for her.
    3:The Dialogue; it is the worst in all of the SW films.
    4:The Jedi Council are shown to be even more foolish; They do not listen to the Jedi that is training Anakin. Obi-Wan knows that Anakin is not ready, but Mace and Yoda can't seem to trust him.
    5:Dex's Diner; if I wanted Big Al, I would just watch Happy Days.
    6:Ani and Anakin are to differant; The Skywalker we is in AOTC is about half way down the road to the Dark Side when the movie start. What happen to change the sweet Pod Racer we know in TPM into the Punk kid we meet in AOTC?
    7:The Love Story; Now, do not get me wrong, I love romance story. (and yes I am a guy). The way Anakin confuses his undieing love for Padme is scary to me. The way Padme just changes her mind when she thinks they're going to die is even more frightning.
    8:Boba Fett; "Shot him, dad, shot him! FIRE!!" need I say more?
    9:The Asteroid Chase: It Cheapens what Han did in TESB.
    10:Senator Enablor: What have you done with the Queen? The Queen is all about saving people. She puts her life is danger to do it. The Senator is to blind by love to see that Anakin has lost it.
    11:Editing: the cutting back an forth between Obi-Wan and Tatooine is poorly done.
    12:The Jedi Resque!: Mace leads the Jedi in to a battle they can not win. He is the Juster of the Foolish Council. Most are killed because of his bad judgement.
    13:Yoda's Dialogue: Yoda talks far more backwards in AOTC than any other SW film.
    14:The Big Battle: Unlike the other big battles, in this one no one has lines. Lots of people die and we do not care. How can we? We don't know any of them.
    15:Termites Built the Death Star!: This is wrong on more levels than I can talk about on this board. It is one of the worst thing in any SW product. It is just wrong!
    16:Yoda with a lightsaber; Yoda turns into Kermit the Frog meets Sonic the Hedgehog. It is the funnest thing I have ever seen. The only thing is, that it is a serius scene.

I have to say, that entire list is flat out hilarious....and true!

I am LMAO!

ff

6. filmfreakazoid

May 11, 2003
    Fuzzyratt, I must say, that AOTC list is flat out hilarious...and true!

ff

7. Stamm

Stamm Jedi Master

Jun 5, 2002
    I like TPM more than AOTC.
    The main reason is the bad dialogue in AOTC: it pulls me out of the movie. Whenever I manage to re-enter into the movie, another bad line gets me out. :(

The more I watch TPM, the more I like it.
    The more I watch AOTC, the less I like it.

8. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I loved Attack of the clones better. why?Because I liked Jango Fett. I wish he did not die like a punk. I loved learning that the clones organs were the Stormtroopers. I like Seeing Mace Windu in Action as well as Yoda. Count Dooku was cool. Less Jar Jar in the Movie. So far everything is good and Episode 2 ties very well to the Old Triolgys.

9. FuzzyRatt

May 16, 2003
    Glad you liked the list. :)

Sorry, the termites did not built the Death Star, just designed it.

How does that make the Death Star less cool?
    How can I respect a weapon that was designed by race that's language is a farting noise?

It was fanboy falter, nothing more.

10. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    That is NOT a farting noise... I have no idea what the HELL it is, but it ain't farting. :)

The only thing I don't like about the Geonosian language is that you can't quote it. You can quote Huttese, you can quote Klingon. But you just can't quote Geonosian 'cause we lowly humans can't make that sound.

It's like that Missy Elliot song that plays the one phrase backwards and makes it sound "A-fikka-go-nippa-nippa-friki-nyeh..."

EDIT: Seriously, do your farts actually sound like that? Maybe you're not eating right.
    Do you eat sheet metal or something?

Rick McCallum loves you!

11. bountyhuntr

bountyhuntr Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 27, 2003
    no like atoc a lot more the many battle seens were cool also with natalie portman hehehehehe

12. Jedi_Dexter

Jedi_Dexter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    I agree with most of you , I liked TPM better than AOTC. I think it has more of an epic feel to it than the latter.

I guess Im old school but I still prefer movies were they actually use "real" people as extras, like the Pod Race sequence. It just adds reality to the scenes. Imagine if Lucas had decided to make them CGI. Im sorry but I cant feel anything for a bunch of pixels.

AOTC, -sigh-, almost every extra was CGI. The biggest unanswered question that Ill always have is, Why the hell didnt they use real people for coloseups of Clonetroopers?
    What, to show off ILMs tecnical superiority?

13. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    What, to show off ILMs tecnical superiority?

That, and to make them consistent.

I have exactly zero complaints about the CGI clonetroopers. I didn't know they were CG until someone told me. :D I mean, I figured they probably only had sixteen or so extras and just shot them a few times and replicated 'em... but still...

Rick McCallum loves you!

14. Jedi_Dexter

Jedi_Dexter Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 10, 2002
    "I didn't know they were CG until someone told me."

You have got to be jokin right?! You couldnt tell?! I thought it was Toy Story 3: SW Action Figures right off the bat!

It would have been easier to just hire a dozen guys, I bet there are plenty who would do it for free. Instead of having some tech guy render a clonetrooper in his computer from scratch.

15. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    I couldn't tell.

I STILL can't tell. (Hooray for willing suspension of disbelief.)

There are many things in the PT, as well as a number of modern special-effects-heavy movies, that look 100% real to me.

Maybe I'm just unsophisticated or clueless.

Thank God! :D

Rick McCallum loves you!

16. Darth-Stryphe

Darth-Stryphe Former Mod and City Rep star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2001
    Oh, come on, Fuzzy, deep down inside, you've always known the Death Star was designed by termites. Isn't it obvious? ;)

17. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Aotc is a much better film than trpm. Now don't get me wrong I won tpm on dvd and enjoy it much better than many films Matrix reloaded wishes it was as good as tpm, but aotc is where the story starts to take off. Aotc is just ahead of esb as my star wars film, and I'm not ashamed to say episode 3 could very make the pt better(to me) than the ot depending on if lucas reaches the potential with it.

18. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    "Did you like ep1 better than ep2?"

It's close,but for right now I prefer ep1 to ep2.It really depends on what mood I'm in.

19. FuzzyRatt

May 16, 2003
    A few thing I do not like about Geonosians:
    1: the way they look..Termites, sorry, only in a horror movie do insects make good villians (IMO).
    2: The way they talk... Already covered the sound effect problem. I still think it sounds like farting.
    3: Weapons..green pulsing energy bubble. I tought it looked bad.
    4: Their world...They design the Death Star, but they have to ride animals and use spears. It so not work for me.

"Seriously, do your farts actually sound like that? Maybe you're not eating right.
    Do you eat sheet metal or something?"

Yes, it is the only way to get enough iron. 8-}

20. rodan70

rodan70 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2002
    i liked the lightsaber fight better, I liked the music better, but over all, I'll take AOTC over TPM because of this... There was more of a story and Familiar things in AOTC than there was in TPM.

21. Sinister8578

Sinister8578 Jedi Youngling

Dec 10, 2002
    Please don't bring up the Matrix in here. There is no reason to bash another movie to make your point about AOTC/TPM. Now I happen to feel AOTC is a good POPCORN movie....(of course it's popcorn without the butter but mind you it's still popcorn) however I like TPM more. There's something about seeing the Sith be well the SITH. One manipulates behind closed doors while the other simply KILLS. AOTC expanded the universe granted I take it that some people don't like the way it was expanded but expanded it was. OK I need to hurry and get off of work because I'm starting to sound like AOTC Yoda!

Madden Rules!

22. filmfreakazoid

May 11, 2003
    Yeah, PLEASE! We don't want the Star Wars vs. The Matrix arguments in every forum....with that said, I still find TPM superior to AOTC, and would not think of putting AOTC on the level of ESB. I will give a nod to the young members in the forum, I am certain they love the eye candy and top notch effects of AOTC over ESB....I'm also sure some people just like everything about AOTC over ESB, but IMHO these movies aren't close.

ff

23. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I will give a nod to the young members in the forum,

Well, as this IS the PM forum I kinda figured that the consesnus would lean twords TPM but THAT remarked kills me [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Trust me, "youth" has nothing to do with which film I prefer... I happened to like AOTC better than TPM (for a lot of reasons) and before you go off on "there's another youngone', all for the flash and pash," I'm among the lot that remembers when "A New Hope" was just "Star Wars" and "Empire" was justa gleem in the flanneled ones eye! Much as I'd like to be considered 'young' :p

I thought Clones was the stronger film of the two (no midiclorians, no excessive toilet humor... no "Yipppppeee" thank God...)

Just my .02$ worth of bandwith

24. BobaFrank

BobaFrank Jedi Youngling star 5

Jul 17, 2001
    First of all, we don't know about 'built', just 'designed'.

[[Actually Adam, they designed and built the DS. Watch AOTC's documentaries. GL clearly states that they did both.

I like TPM better than AOTC also. It felt more like SW to me. I loved the podrace and DOTF. The underlying polictical corruption theme was very strong. TPM's dialogue was MUCH better than AOTC's.

I do like AOTC but not as much as TPM.]]

25. AdamBertocci

Feb 3, 2002
    Actually Adam, they designed and built the DS. Watch AOTC's documentaries. GL clearly states that they did both.

Unless Episode III comes out and says it, I can believe what I gosh-darn like. :p

I'm also sure some people just like everything about AOTC over ESB

// looks around nervously
    // raises hand, grins
    // runs

Rick McCallum loves you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.