main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did you like how Frank Oz portrayed Yoda in the Prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AnakinSkywalkerFan_, Apr 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSkywalkerFan_

AnakinSkywalkerFan_ Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 1, 2005
    I thought he did betta in the prequels then he did in the classic cause yoda actually looked a lot younger!!!

2. GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN

GRAND_MOFF_KEVIN Jedi Master star 5

Jul 4, 2004
    I thought Oz did a good job.

3. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    LOL, I love this. Of course he did a good job. He IS yoda. He didn't have the greatest lines in the world to say, but whatever.

I also want to say that some over in the 3SA think they wouldn't feel any way or the other if JEJ didn't voice Vader for that film. Aaaarrghh... It totally baffles me that GL would ever bring back Oz and not JEJ. So I can't believe some people think it's even fathomable that GL would think differently for the most important character in the saga.

Thanks for reading.

4. KenKenobi

KenKenobi Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2002
    I thought he did a superb job, either as the puppet in TPM or CGI in AotC. :D :cool:

5. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Oz was brilliant in all of his work for the films. No one could be Yoda but for him. :)

6. Chaotic_Serenity

Chaotic_Serenity Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 10, 2004
    Deeysew - Agreed. Unless by some series of misfortunate events, I can't see JEJ not doing the voice. Lucas does do his own thing most of the time, but he doesn't ignore his fans. I'd find it ridiculous to think that he'd go as far as smoothing out continuity by changing Boba's voice in the OT, and then turning around and using someone else for Vader in the PT. It's a senseless argument.

And, yes, I love PT Yoda. There's so much life in his voice, more of the youth and animation I imagined him to have when he spoke of the past in ESB. Such a wonderful blend of that child-like wonder mixed with that aged wonder. Great stuff. :) I think it's really a compliment to Frank Oz's talent that a little green puppet/CGI image is one of the most lovable characters in the saga.

7. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    In the classics, Oz was more of an actor. He was controling Yoda.

However, he was brilliant either way.

I think they could have used the puppet more often, tho.

There was way too much CGI. It just wasn't necessary.

8. jangoisadrunk

jangoisadrunk Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 7, 2005
    I don't understand all this too much CGI, not enough puppety in the prequels. They are both equally fake looking if you know you're looking at it. If you're not, though, CGI wins--hands down.

I actually think FO is not as good in the PT. He should have been nominated for best supporting actor in '80. He was WAY better than Sir AG was in ANH. Yoda in ESB is one of the most iconic characters in cinema. In the PT, Yoda just doesn't have as much interesting stuff to say. It's not FO's fault, it's the story arc. Yoda's character is not as interesting in the PT.

9. war_monger

war_monger Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 26, 2003
    Wait a couple more months, then decide if that statement is correct. :D

10. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I think he's been great but his lines just aren't
    nearly as good (IMHO). When you get lines like...

"No! Do or do not, there is no try."

It's easier for the quality of the preformance to
    shine through. But when you get lines like...

"Seeing you alive, brings warm feeling to my heart."

Or

"Around the survivors a perimiter create."

It's just not that easy.

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    "Lost a planet, Master Obi-Wan has. How embarrassing."

"Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

"Mmmm a flaw more and more common among Jedi. Too sure of themselves they are. Even the older, more experienced ones."

"Twisted by the dark side young Skywalker has become."

All of these lines and many more are classic Yoda and among my favorite Yoda lines ever.

12. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    ^ I can think of maybe one decent line frome the PT,
    IMHO, and you have alreay listed it "Fear leads to
    anger..." That is classic Yoda. The rest....

13. IncomT65

IncomT65 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 28, 1999
    Frank did a perfect job portraying Yoda in the pt, as well as in the ot.

Some people are just the one for a certain job, like Anthony Daniels, Peter Mayhew and Frank Oz.

14. majin_yami

majin_yami Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 14, 2004
    I don't see how he can do him differnetly. It's not like they're two differnet actors.

15. KennyT

KennyT Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 25, 2005
    Here's what I wonder. Yoda is over 800 years old already in AOTC, so why does he act so much older 20 years later? Is it that thing when a person retires, they start to act older because they do not feel as needed? He is much more feeble in the OT than the PT when 20-30 years to a man over 800 is like 5 years of age to one of us.

16. Darth_Pogey

Darth_Pogey Jedi Master star 4

Apr 4, 2005
    Frank Oz did pretty good, but not as good as in ESB and ROTJ

17. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    I think they could have used the puppet more often, tho.

Frank Oz was actually relieved that he didn't have to lug around that heavy puppet, and felt it freed him as a performer. He sent the FX team a thank-you letter, saying how much he liked the work they did with Yoda (Lucas made sure they consulted him on everything). Also, I heard that part of the reason they went digital with Yoda was because Frank wasn't available to work the puppet, and Lucas wouldn't even entertain the idea of anyone but Frank doing so.

18. Shelley

Shelley Jedi Youngling star 5

Sep 9, 2001
    All of these lines and many more are classic Yoda and among my favorite Yoda lines ever.

"Begun, this Clone War has."

"Always two there are. No more, no less. A master and an apprentice."

19. CrazySaber

CrazySaber Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 4, 2004
    He did good in the PT, but I still like him in the OT better.

20. Genrader

Genrader Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 2003
    I enjoyed Yoda's hopping around, I don't think he was a total fake. I think what he did was something that required a lot of thought and concentration, since A) He's old and B) He's extremely skilled.

I can guarantee you in his younger days, Yoda probably hopped around like that a lot. He probably got a limp somewhere in battle and uses a cane now, but when he really needs to, he can concentrate and use the Force to be like he once was.

I'm sure he can't do that ALL the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.