Did You Notice Obi Has Learned About Saber Locks?

Discussion in 'Revenge of the Sith' started by StormTrooper1776, Sep 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StormTrooper1776 Jedi Master

star 4
    In TPM when Obi and Darth Maul had a saber lock,Darth Maul force pushed him over into that shaft.
    In AOTC when Obi and Dooku had a saber lock,Dooku cut his arm and his leg.
    But in ROTS when Obi had a saber lock with Vader,Obi used the force push too.And on the second saber lock with Vader,Obi jumps off the platform and lands on the embankment.Usually when there was a saber lock,that would be when Obi is done for.In this movie it looks like Obi has learned alot.

Anyone else notice that?
  2. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Another good example is the way he uses saber locks to cut off GG first two arms. Nice topic.
  3. DUGGY Jedi Youngling

star 4

In TPM when Obi and Darth Maul had a saber lock,Darth Maul force pushed him over into that shaft.

Fool Obi twice , shame on you, fool him three times , shame on him. [face_laugh]
  4. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Also, I think that some of it is that they just needed a way to end the fight.
    We are good at finding parallels/reasons/etc because we watch the films over and over again.
  5. JEDY Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    That's interesting, very true.
  6. Evil_Imp Jedi Youngling

star 1
    Also, I think that some of it is that they just needed a way to end the fight.

Gee really teach?. [face_plain]
  7. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not impressed with the wisdom I'm bringing! How dare you! :D

Perhaps Merlot makes you state the obvious...
  8. sccrman95 Jedi Master

star 4
    Thats actually a good point. :)
  9. batkins182 Force Ghost

star 4
    Yes, that is very true, you can see how much he progresses over the movies. From Episode 2 to Episode 3 he progress a whole lot.
  10. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yeah, if you think about it, it really makes Kenobi's victory that much more special. It's just an amazing feat by an underdog to somewhat save the universe for a while! Obi-Wan is the man, but not for the crazy reason some people believe he is.
  11. thechozn1 Force Ghost

star 4
    So does Capt. Morgan. But I had some Merlot earlier so I can attest to that too. Word to the wise... don't stay at a hotel with free drinks.
  12. Sonic_Sega Jedi Padawan

Really, I noticed this the second time I saw RotS. Obi-Wan just continues to gain experience over the years.

~Sonic Sega
  13. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Not to be a smart ***, but doesn't almost everyone gain experience over the years? I mean, unless you're in a coma and not interacting with anything, you gain experience.
  14. Sith-Lord_James Force Ghost

star 3
    Kinda like how you're gaining experience being a smart alleck.

Not to be a smart ***, of course.
  15. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Ha! Right, but isn't saying that someone "gains experience over the years" kinda redundant?

Well, who am I to judge? Anyway, I was saying that Obi-wan had improved greatly, in terms of saber skills, during the clone wars, thus his ability to dominate the general with saber locks, ridding him of two of his four arms.
  16. -maynard- Jedi Knight

star 3
    [annoying voice] the jedi arent supposed to use the force as a weapon [/annoying voice]
  17. brook_33 Jedi Master

star 4
    i'd say that obi-wan's improved in general lightsaber knowledge since aotc.
  18. voodoopuuduu Classic Trilogy Trivia Host

Game Host
    star 5
    But in ROTS when Obi had a saber lock with Vader,Obi used the force push too.And on the second saber lock with Vader,Obi jumps off the platform and lands on the embankment.Usually when there was a saber lock,that would be when Obi is done for.In this movie it looks like Obi has learned alot.

Most Jedi would have probably learned after the first encounter. Oh well, better late than never.
  19. DARTH_BELO Force Ghost

star 4
    The only thing I think doesn't sit right with me is that, in Ep. I-III, we see him improve, and in ROTS he's at his best. But then all of a sudden in Ep. IV, when he fights Vader, he struggles, barely looking like he even KNOWS what he's doing-even though VADER HIMSELF isn't as good as HE used to be either.

It makes me wonder-what if Vader never needed the suit!? He would be SO powerful, and wreak SO much havoc-butchering away at the Jedi during the purge, and once Obi-Wan fights him again, Vader would kill him in an instant!!! (given Obi-Wan's weakened state, as it is in ANH, he wouldn't stand a CHANCE against Vader in whole physical form) So there's that climax, then that dramatic weakening of skill...with the LIGHTSABER I mean...

I guess I always explain it as Obi-Wan spent 20 years, doing NOTHING, let ALONE duelling with the lightsaber...I guess I could understand if he's a bit "rusty" and out of shape.

I can compare it to when I play the drumset-if I (as I have before) go half a year without touching a set, once I do, I fumble all over the drums-but after a few straight weeks of doing it, I get back into the swing...

so yeah, I guess that's the way to xplain it...
  20. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    Good Topic!!!! Yes, Obi-Wan did learn his lesson. But, has anyone noticed Obi-Wan learned all of his lesson's and grew from them. Anakin did not.
  21. almighty_smiley Jedi Knight

star 1
    YES HE DID!!!

he lost his hair, limbs, and got torched for it! if that isn't learning a lesson, then god only knows what is these days.
  22. jedibri Jedi Master

star 4
    Anakin learned his lesson the hard way. But, he seemed to learn them all the hard way.
  23. almighty_smiley Jedi Knight

star 1
  24. WitchKing66 Jedi Master

star 4
    Master Kenobi must have monster muslces to be able to transform Grevious's two spining laserswords into a Sabre Lock by thrusting his own sabre into the spinnage
    if i were there a robotic spining arm would have easilly overwhelm mine my initial thrust
  25. yoshifett Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Here, let me throw something out there:

YODA: Size matters not. Look at me. Judge me by my size, do you? Hm?
    Mmmm. And well you should not. For my ally in the Force. And a
    powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. It's energy
    surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we...(Yoda pinches
    Luke's shoulder)...not this crude matter.

Obi-Wan uses the force to aid his strength. He doesn't have "monster muscles." This is Ewan not Vin Diesel.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.