main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Did you really believe that Luke was in danger of turning to the dark side?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by CT-867-5309, Jul 10, 2014.

?

Did you really buy into Luke's dark side?

1. Yes

46.2%
  2. No

53.8%
  1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There's a difference between animals, insects and humans. The last one can actually rationalize and consciously make decisions regarding our actions. Animals and insects cannot really do that. They only go by instinct, whereas we don't. We're capable of rational thought as much as irrational thought. My father as a drunk in his life, as other members of my family on both sides have been or still are. I don't consider myself lucky that I didn't become one. I made a conscious effort to not go down that path when I was five years old and ever since, I have lived a life of sobriety. I'm considered a teetotaler. That's life and that is how we are.

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  2. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    He tried the belly and the broomstick but the reverse suited him best.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Does anyone know if Hamill is left-handed?

4. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He's left-handed, but he uses a gun and fought right-handed. Sylvester Stallone will use a gun with his right hand, but fights, writes and eats with his left.

Sarge likes this.
  5. Darth Palpadious

Darth Palpadious Jedi Master star 3

May 31, 2013
    Well, it's a strange one. I did believe it, and I actually started to think that yes, he would turn to the dark side for a while, and then turn back. But to be honest that was because of Mark Hamill playing it very well and making his struggle visible and tangible. As soon as I thought about it I did realise that there was little motivation for him to turn and it doesn't make much sense. But believing the emotions of the moment is more important than believing the logic as far as Star Wars is concerned IMO (there are far bigger logical flaws than this that no one has a problem with). And in that respect, it worked fine for me. Brilliantly, in fact.

6. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    No. Even as a small child it was obvious that OT was a series about good defeating evil. My young mind was totally blown by the end of ESB, though.

7. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I believe Luke is STILL in danger of falling to the dark side...

(Dun dun DUN!!!)

Sarge and MOC Yak Face like this.
  8. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

The idea of Vader and Sidious getting their hands on Leia and trying to turn her seemed such a "little motivation"?

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I thought Leia would have told both Vader and Sidious, in a Star Wars-friendly way, to go **** themselves.

So no, I wasn't worried.

10. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    There would've been "foul stench" and "leash holding" lines aplenty if they started with her.

The prospect of them trying certainly fired Luke up though.

11. ThreadSketch

ThreadSketch Jedi Master star 4

Dec 22, 2013
    Bah, the Galactic Civil War could've been over a lot faster if the Alliance would've just sent Leia to smack-talk the Emperor to death. :p

12. Kato Sai

Kato Sai Chosen One star 8

Apr 27, 2014
    I am not certain if it is hindsight or the first time I saw ROTJ that provokes me to answer yes. As a child I always saw Luke as a hero and nothing else. But even now when I see the Son of Skywalker fighting in the Throne Room and wildly using Djem So I cam convinced he could have turned. It was at that fateful moment when Luke looks at his Father's hand and then his own hand that the power of the Dark Side failed to convert him. It was compassion and empathy that stayed Skywalker from becoming the next apprentice of the Emperor. However, the potential for Luke's fall was always there, no matter how unbelievable or unlikely.

Jedi Knight Fett and Iron_lord like this.
  13. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

The fact that Leia had great anger and an attachment to Han, would be strong motivators for her turning.

14. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    A woman with her anger issues? I doubt that Leia would have been that friendly. And considering the state of her emotions in ESB, I believe there is a strong possibility that Vader and Sidious would have succeeded.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, she didn't have "anger issues." [face_laugh]

Unless a low tolerance for bull**** is considered an "anger issue."

If not behaving all sweet and demure like the little damsel in distress is considered an "anger issue"...the 1950s called, it wants its ideas of how women should behave back.

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  16. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I never thought he would turn. Maybe I didn't pick up on the nuance as a child, but that just never seemed like a remotely plausible possibility.

17. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008
    Mod edit: Please don't direct comments at the poster and try to derail.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nice attempt to make this topic about other posters instead of Luke turning to the Dark Side, but that post did nothing to convince me that Leia had anger issues. [face_laugh]

So...Luke in the throne room? I think he was annoyed that Vader was trying to drag Leia into the argument, and I'm sure he was afraid that Vader or the Emperor might kill her. That's why the "turn to the Dark Side, it's the only way to save your friends" was such a great parallel to the line in ROTS.

But...the Emperor explained nothing as to how that turning-equals-saving-people plan would work, and I never thought Luke would buy into it, nor did I think Luke would kill his father after doing so much to reach out to him throughout the entire movie.

19. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    He didn't have to explain it. It's implied that he wouldn't destroy Endor and would instead allow the Alliance to limp away, so long as Luke pledged himself to him and his teachings. As to killing Vader, it is clear that Luke does harbor some anger and hatred towards his father for choosing the dark side over his family and the Jedi. Remember, he wanted to kill Vader because he had betrayed and murdered Anakin. And as I noted, when Luke nearly kills Vader, it is because of all that he's done to his family. It is only the realization that Luke isn't angry and afraid of his father as he is that he will become him, that Luke snaps out of it. Palpatine cannot understand that mentality. He believes that when tempted by the darkness, one would embrace the power that lies within it.

Iron_lord and Visitant like this.
  20. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    I agree with all but that in bold. I always assumed if Luke turned, he wouldn't care about what happened to the Alliance.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know that was the implication but I still never expected Luke to believe anything Palpatine said. When has Palpatine proven himself to be trustworthy? Why would Luke believe him unless he were completely gullible?

Yes, Luke fights his father and cuts off his mechanical hand but it still never occurred to me that Luke would actually kill his father, much less pledge himself to the Sith.

I know what Lucas was going for in the image of Luke's black-gloved hand and Vader's severed mechanical arm. But I did nothing more than shrug and think, OK Luke, I guess you won the fight without having to actually kill him. Nice job.

And the "I am unarmed" comment from Palpatine brought a "LOL wut?" from me.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001

As we saw in ROTS, Anakin still cared for Padme until he reached the point where he let his anger and hate control him. So it would be with Luke.

23. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    Palpatine spent years building a relationship with Anakin, which enabled him to turn him quite easily when the time came. In Luke's eyes, Palpatine was essentially the scum of the galaxy, so he had no reason to trust him whatsoever.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    True, except Palpatine was able to turn Dooku and they were exactly the best of friends before then. The situation with Anakin was different because he wasn't able to spend thirteen years training him, so he let Obi-wan do it, while giving him his subtle influence.

25. MOC Vober Dand

Jan 6, 2004
    I got the impression that Dooku was somewhat ripe for the picking due to his disillusionment with the system which the Jedi were sworn to protect. I don't know this, but it's the impression I got.