main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Did you see SW films spoiled or unspoiled?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Mos_Eisleian_Radio, Mar 16, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I'm curious if people got to see the Star Wars films spoiled of unspoiled. Specifically, I'm talking about Vader being Luke's father in TESB, Luke and Leia being brother and sister in ROTJ, and Qui-Gon's death in TPM?

Myself, I had all three of these films spoiled before I got to see them. In 1980, kids who had already seen Empire informed me about Vader's revelation. In 1983, the Marvel Comics adaptation was released several weeks before Jedi came out. Others who had read it told me of Luke and Leia's relationship. And in 1999, reading the newsgroup rec.arts.sf.starwars.misc, someone had posted a thread where Qui-Gon's fate was the subject title of the thread. So, it was spoiled without me even opening it.

What about others? We all have our own definitions of spoilers, too. I know little things of Episode II, but I'm trying to avoid plot points when I can.

Phil

2. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    I was waiting in line for the midnight showing, when someone said, "I can't believe they said Qui-Gon died on the back of the soundtrack." Aaaaaaaaaahhhh! I had the soundtrack already, but I delibertly did not, I repeat did not, look at it, let alone opened it, cuz I didn't want to be spoiled. I'm probably going to stop reading the Insider soon so I won't find out to much for ep II

3. JediJeff13

JediJeff13 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Same thing with me, Autobot. I was avoiding EVERYTHING for TPM, but went to a music store about a week prior to the release, looked at the back of the soundtrack and then kicked myself! I was soooooo p*ssed I found out of Qui Gon's death.

4. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I've been pretty unspoiled until now. I've been reading a few things about Episode II already. Bad Gemini, I know. I just look at it this way: The movie will be at least two hours long. You can't possibly know EVERYTHING before you see it.

5. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Two words: Jango Fett

6. Bobafemme

Bobafemme FF Jedi Council Member, Chicago IL RSA Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 25, 2000
    What? Who's this Jango Fett? What's going on here?

:)

7. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Sorry, off topic, but look at Bobafemme's pretty colors in her name!

8. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I had tried avoiding all the spoilers in TPM, a couple snuck threw likce midiclorians, but when the soundtrack came I kept hearing about quiqons death all over the place that it was ruined. ANH And ESB I was pretty young so I can't rember any spoilers, and ROTJ I saw opening day so I didn't here any spoilers to that.

9. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    The original trilogy I didn't have any spoilers. My parents were on the fringes of science fiction geekdom, so I was lucky enough to see all the movies on opening day. And I was 13 when ESB came out and 16 when RotJ came out, and you can well imagine that at those ages, sci-fi movie spoilers were NOT the biggest topic among my peers. The spoilers would have had to compete with
    a) boys - the good, the bad, and the ugly
    b) parents - the unfairness of it all
    and
    c) music, music, and more music - that's right, the source of all evil: rock n' roll.

Before TPM came out the only spoilers I exposed myself to was SW Insider magazine. So anything they didn't publish, I didn't know about. I was pretty happy with what they did and did NOT decide to publish.

Unfortunately, I felt that TPM compared so unfavorably to the other movies that knowing more spoilers for it wouldn't have hurt the experience for me. I was thoroughly unimpressed at the first viewing, and THAT was a big disappointment. (Note to George: I know that you believe in story above technology. Please CONSIDER the possibility that the MORE/BETTER/NEWER technology you use, then just that much more effort will be required keep the story from being overshadowed by the technology.)

I did NOT buy any SW merchandise until AFTER I saw the movie on opening day. So I didn't get caught by that. And judging by what everyone else has said, that should probably be my policy for Episode II also.

One reason that I wasn't focusing so much on Episode I stuff in the period before the release was that I was busily devouring every one of the EU novels I could get my hands on. Maybe in an effort to avoid E2 spoilers, I'll step up my reading and collecting of EU materials again. In fact, that sounds like a great excuse - uh, I mean a great rationalization - uh, I mean a really good REASON (that's it) to spend money on my collection.

10. NOT_JediJeff

NOT_JediJeff Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 18, 2000
    Hey Mav - is there ANY DAMN BONES in your body that DON'T spoil anything? Just wondering.....

11. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    SPOILER: Darth Sidious and Chancellor Palpatin are the same person! IT's TRUE! I read it on TheFOrce.net!

12. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey - did you know 'Rosebud' was his sled?

13. BoB

BoB Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Now that I know the name of his sled the next two movies are completely ruined.

14. Le_Penguin

Le_Penguin Jedi Youngling star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    I hear Anakin ends up dying in Episode VI.

-Le Penguin
    "On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero."

15. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Oh - Wesley wasn't killed by the dread pirate Roberts. Wesley IS the dread pirate Roberts.

16. JediJeff13

Nov 27, 2000
    Also, Earl Williams was hidden by Hildy & Walter in a roll top desk in the press room.

17. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    I was too young to remember seeing SW for the first time. It's just imprinted in my head. Empire was a shock. I was five, and even though I didn't fully understand what it all meant, to hear Evil tell Good that they were father and son... well, I didn't believe it until Jedi came out. Which brings us to Jedi: I didn't know about Luke and Leia, but to tell the truth, I wasn't too concerned. My 8 year old mind was still reeling with the confirmation of Vader being Luke's dad.

Space opera indeed.

-Le Penguin
    "Marla's philosophy was that she could die at any second. Her curse, she said, was that she didn't."

18. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    That chick in The Crying Game is really a guy.

19. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    Maggie shot Mr Burns.
    The Narrator _is_ Tyler Durden.
    It rains frogs at midnight.
    Judas sells out Jesus.
    The butler did it.
    Mrs. Bates has been dead for years. It's all Norman!
    Bruce Willis' character is dead, too.
    HAL is reading their lips.
    It was all just a dream. There's no place like home.
    Heston was on Earth the whole time. Those maniacs blew it up. Damn tham all to Hell!

-Le Penguin
    "No, sir. That's Mr. Coffee."

20. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm conducting an experiment (which has been constructed mainly to help justify the guilt I feel every time I read a spoiler...;)) Anyway, I accidentally looked at all the stolen storyboards for Episode 2 and consider myself spoiled.
    Therefore, I have endeavored to find out as much as I can about Ep.2 and NOTHING about Ep.3.

I am interested to see how much of what I know about Ep.2 turns out to be true.

I was unspoiled for the entire OT. There were only TWO things about EP.1 that I didn't know, and it didn't diminish my experience. My fiance swears I will be spoiler free for Ep.3. I'll try...:)

So, are you guys gonna go see the Ep.2 trailer when it debuts?

21. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    Tim Curry is Mr Boddy
    Number Five doesn't die, it's a decoy
    The cook sabotaged the Red October
    The Plague planed the virus
    Both cups were poisoned
    The Galaxy is on Orion's belt
    Tim Robbins put a bomb in your trunk
    Mrs. Doubtfire is a man
    Elsa is working for the Germans, Indy

On a separate note...
    Has anyone heard the Sunscreen Song? You can find it on Napster if you haven't.

22. Le_Penguin

Nov 26, 2000
    How could I have forgotten the most important one of all......

Number Six is Number One.

-Le Penguin
    "By hook or by crook, we will."

23. Xmaveric

Nov 25, 2000
    AND....if you liked the Sunscreen Song, you've to check out Yoda Sunscreen. Look it up on Napster, SO FUNNY!!

24. JediAutobot

JediAutobot Jedi Master star 4

Dec 3, 2000
    Yoda Sunscreen.hahahahahahahahaha

25. JodoKast74

JodoKast74 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2001
    I was actually spoiler free for EP I until the week before.While standing in line at the AMC Theaters in Barrington for tickets,I overheard some people talking about Qui Gon's death.I couldn't slice my ears off fast enough but it didn't ruin the experience.Well,Jar Jar's death would've helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.