main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did you see the individual lightsaber "forms" on display in the PT?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by AnakinSucks, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnakinSucks

AnakinSucks Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 15, 2005
    The Forms being EU based I believe starting with KOTOR 2 most likely.

I doubt that the choreographer put much thought toward setting each duellist?s styles to be congruent with the EU forms, but we know that these things tend to become intertwined; whether by fans or authorities (and I am not aware of all authorities on the matter by the way).

When you look back, do you see Anakin using Djem So or simple aggression?

Do you see Obi-Wan using Soresu or simple defence?

One thing is for certain - I did not see Windu using his vaunted Vapaad, - I simply saw him in a rather ungainly light compared to Hayden and Ewan.

There are topics that touch on these questions but I have been tempted to dedicate a thread toward it for some time.

If it is deemed worthwhile by the administration team I would like to hear your views.

Thanks.

2. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, I did not see them. Not that I missed them. It was more of an EU creation/afterthought anyway except for one.

I believe Dooku was supposed to have a more distinctive style, akin to fencing. It would've been neat to see that.

Vappaaaad or whatever....eh.

3. obi-rob-kenobi4

obi-rob-kenobi4 Jedi Master star 4

Apr 17, 2007
    i think the choreographer did a great job with the fighting but i do think that Mace Windu is highly overrated when it comes to fighting, his moves were the worst in the whole PT.i think that the Vapaad is more of a state of mind though.

4. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    I would say that Dooku's style was the most distinct.

It fits in nicely with the EU.

Yoda's style also fits.

5. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    Yes and that was problematic.

In the movies he did not look impressive with the blade.

I thought that Hayden and Ewan were fantastic on Mustafar and I could buy into the whole Djem So v Soresu idea.

6. sith_rising

sith_rising Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    The characters in the films all used Gillard-style lightsaber fighting.

7. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I always saw it as:

People swinging beams of light around in dizzy patterns. I didn't see no Form VI or Form IV..

8. Rossa83

Rossa83 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    The most characteristic style is Yoda's, whichever one he uses. Then there is OBW, but mostly because of how he holds the sword - with his elbow raised over and behind his shoulder.

Other than that the actors decide too much who looks the best - Anakin, OBW, Dooku and Maul looks far better than say Sideous and Mace - but they're not supposed to be...

9. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I mainly see Obi-Wan & Anakin using their form's basic philosophies-he doesn't attack much at all in Episode III, while Anakin is just attack attack attack with hardly any defense.

Mace, well, in his defense, Vaapad isn't supposed to look like much of anything at all, so I suppose he gets a pass. :p

Dooku is much more fencer-ly in Episode III.

10. AnakinSucks

Sep 15, 2005
    Yes, I suppose for Sidious and Mace you could argue that their styles are not supposed to be good looking.

Slightly more troublesome for Mace since his style was meant to be so damn fast, but it can be rationalized easily enough if we feel like it.

We are Star Wars fans after all! [face_coffee]

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Just be glad they're not flying around and punching eachother through buildings.

"I just threw this dude through a building...I'm sure a punch to the face'll do for him!"

-Matrix fighting logic. :p

12. Jango10

Jango10 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 22, 2002
    SLJ is the worst swordsman of the PT. He supposed to be one of the best, but it looks like one of those younglings could take him.

13. michaeljamesmccabe

michaeljamesmccabe Jedi Youngling

Nov 23, 2004
    I believe that the light saber fighting styles are discussed in a fair amount of detail in the ROTS book. It's a pretty cool topic, and something I wish had been explored further in the movies.

My original thought (after playing KOTOR and KOTOR 2), was that Anakin mastered all forms and used them to his advantage when he personally purged the universe of the remaining Jedi. But that didn't happen...

14. SzeruSz

SzeruSz Jedi Youngling

Apr 2, 2007
    Well my opinion is that Anakin didn't master all the lightsaber styles but he mastered one and with The Dark side of the Force and how he was one of the best Jedi he easily overpowered them.

15. Dark_Jedi_Kenobi

Dark_Jedi_Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 3, 2004
    That's where I disagree. I feel that the discussion of the saber techniques is more of a topic that a novelization can and should explore. I have a hard time imagining how or where this could be included in the film. I do agree that the topic of saber techniques is interesting, but I just don't think it has a place in the films.

16. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Now, if they made a SW version of The Karate Kid, then obviously styles should at least be touched on.

17. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Lightsaber forms could've been briefly touched on in the films if we saw more of the Kenobi training Anakin stuff.

Wait, did we see any of that?

18. LemmingLord

LemmingLord Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2005
    No - didn't see any forms either. Maybe they are swinging those weapons around too dang fast, but it always seems like they are using drunken jedi fighting.. I think the force fights for them. Yoda's is distinctive because he has to climb up on things to get in close enough to strike..

All this said, each actor did things slightly differently.

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I did see different styles in the main characters, but not significantly. Everyone was touting how one person was one form, another the others... And it all looked like it was being rushed.

20. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000

I'd have to disagree. Sam practiced quite a bit, and Ian was the one who wasn't comfortable with a blade. It also didn't help that they pretty much choreographed that duel on the set.

Anyways, if mace's style looked like crap to you, blame Nick Gillard for designing Mace's style the way he did. I liked it and his style is supposed to be unpredictable and unwieldily looking.

21. Darth_Carl99

Darth_Carl99 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2008
    First, i'm writing this on the work PC, so I have no spellchecker. So please pardon the spelling.

Did I see the diffrent lightsabre styles in action?

Yes to a degree. Obi-Wans and Anakins where very distinctive, especially in AOTC, allthough the ROTS Anakin vs. Dooku fight also showed anakins well.

Yoda's and Dooku's styles where also highly evident in AOTC, their was a real feel of precishion to Dooku, his style was heavily linked, mostly one handed, and very hack and slash. Likewise, Yod's constant aerobatics and jumping in and ou of stricking range really gave a form IV feel.

What was really missing to one degree or another was Mace's Vaapad. Whilst the AOTC scenes did show a number of unpredictable moves, they never quite captured it in the way Shatterpoint did. The biggest issue was the blade speed. It never convinced in the way the other 4's did. Partly of course that down to the actor, but Vaapad is also supposed to be one of the fastest styles anyway, ultimetly the only way to get the required effect would have been to film it in bullet time and then spee it up. But thats far too expensive, it would have cost somthing like 50-60,000,000$ to do.

22. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Lucas was funding the movie, so cash wasn't the issue. As I said before Gillard created Mace's movie style, which was supposed to be unpredictable and efficient. Gillard didn't know what Vaapad was, just like he didn't know what the other styles were. It may looked a bit like Vaapad, but it wasn't quite Vaapad.

23. Admiral_Riva_Denais

Admiral_Riva_Denais Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2008
    I do see Anakin using the starting position for (i think it's) form 3. (correct me if i'm wrong). You know, in the battle arena when he puts his l-saber over his head and looks as awesome/hot as hell.

24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's Form 5, not 3. :p

25. lightwhip

lightwhip Jedi Youngling

Apr 30, 2008
    I could tell that Yoda and Qui-Gon were using Ataru because it is the only form that bases itself on very little defense and a ton of offensive and flips. I could tell that during the battle with Anakin, Obi-wan was using Soresu and supposedly using a bit of Ataru but I couldn't really tell.

As for Mace, he one of two people to master Vaapad and he created it, so it's probably not as developed as the other forms.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.