main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Did you think anything was missing?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by HullCityJedi, Jan 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Captain Phasma and Hux were disappointing but everyone else made up for them. Some of the lines from the novel for Hux were needed in the movie imo.
    Maz after the battle would have been nice.
    Constable Zuvio on Jakku.
    Or more of the gangs Han was dealing with.

2. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015

Your last point, you don't think this would completely strip Rey and her arc? You shove Luke in there and it completely takes the spotlight off of her. When fans think of "cool scenes" they would like to see they need to think about how this affects the rest of the characters and story. So while it would have been cool as hell to see Luke come in and save the day at the end - unfortunately it has a really negative impact on the characters especially Rey and her arc, and would ultimately end up being just that - a cool scene for the sake of it. I applaud JJ's restraint to not play it safe here and am really happy with what they ended up doing with Luke. Because now you can use him in any way you want without impacting the main characters arc and story in a negative way because now she's completely established and in the forefront

3. DARTHKANISS

DARTHKANISS Jedi Grand Master star 1

Sep 8, 2004
    Original Aliens. Would it have killed them to throw in a few Rodians, Twileks or Jawas?

SkywalkerOG likes this.
  4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Had they done that, JJ would have been accused of even more "rehashing." So it's probably best he stuck to new aliens. Plus, I love a lot of the new designs. Particularly these guys:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Parable 3PO's Red Arm.
    "You probably don't recognise me with my red arm", and then he is pushed aside to deal with what really matters. The reunion of Leia and Han.

The red arm symbolises all those geeky things we wanted explained, but don't really matter. The things that don't help tell the human story.

Unit51, IamZam, Evetssteve10 and 2 others like this.
  6. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015

I'm actually upset they are having a comic about it (at least I think I read that somewhere).... I really want them to leave that unexplained forever to drive fanboys insane.

BTW, your post is really on point. I can think of so many examples in books and movies where they explain something... and I then wish they hadn't. We think we want all the mysteries explained... but we really don't.

Did we need the Dagobah Cave explained? How about the space slug in TESB? Do I need to know how in the world there's a breathable atmosphere at cloud city (which supposedly orbits a gas giant)?

Totally OT: This is one reason I love the Malazan Empire series... They are brutal about not explaining everything

Evetssteve10 likes this.
  7. Evetssteve10

Evetssteve10 Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 21, 2015
    Gosh I could not agree more. People think they want an explanation for every little thing but what they are really feeling is the desire to delve deeper into this "world", but you absolutely do not need and in fact shouldn't explain every little mystery because often times the answer is so much less satisfying than the discussion. It is so much more interesting to wonder what adventures C3P0 went on over the last 30 years and how he got this red arm because it adds to the feeling of this universe being lived in and didn't stop existing when the credits rolled after ROTJ. One example of a mystery being explained that shouldn't have was in episode III when we find out how Palpatine's face turned out the way it did. We as the audience would have inferred that the dark side took its toll on him over so many years and that it is one possible side effect to harnessing and using this power of the dark side and then we get the actual answer and.... It's horrible. One could say that the PT was a series of answers that we never needed - but I won't go there because I know that some people hold those three movies near and dear to their hearts so I don't want to disrespect those people that do cherish those movies. I think when it comes to answering mysteries there's a fine line between the right questions to answer and the wrong ones. Shows and movies should try to avoid the "architect scene" from the matrix sequel as much as possible - answer questions that are relevant to the main characters arcs when the appropriate time comes, and maybe sprinkle in a couple fun ones along the way. This is part of what filmmakers and writers are talking about when they mention "restraint". You should respect your audience enough to let them imagine some things themselves while at the same time knowing there will be a certain percentage of people who will complain that they wanted to know more and accept that it's going to happen. It's tough, not an easy task at all. And I can totally see why some artists give into this desire

Sarge and Heroic BB-8 like this.
  8. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I get it served the story and yada yada yada but TFA was missing the presence of a Jedi. Just a lot of hear say and recycled lines about the force I get that's the point but man that's the first SW with no Jedi master involved.

Valairy Scot and -LordSkywalker- like this.
  9. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    Phasma and more of Maz Kanata.

10. Unit51

Unit51 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    Wow. Intentional or not, this is a horse I can hitch my wagon to. That's a nice insight.

IamZam likes this.
  11. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Oh yes, I forgot all about Maz Kanata - especially what happened to her after that nasty battle which destroyed her Castle... Hoping that she makes a triumphant return in Episode 8, together with the much-maligned Captain Phasma (as a stronger villain)! =D=

12. Jedi Miester

Jedi Miester Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 27, 1999
    No, no, no.. Han blew off Finn because he was freaked out that he was about to see Leia... (and he already knew it.. he saw his son do it..)

AmySolo and IamZam like this.
  13. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    B-Wings and TIE Interceptors

14. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    True, but the pacing of the movie would have been killed by a training sequence. Even ESB had Leia and Han chugging along on sub-light engines while Luke trained.

At least we got to see the "Emperor" in the first film of the trilogy (meaning Snoke), whereas ANH only mentioned him by name.

15. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015

Or Ewoks *Runs and hides*

16. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    *Launches missile at t-trooperyc94 as he drives off*

[​IMG]

17. t-trooperyc94

t-trooperyc94 Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    Life is better with Yub Nub

GregMcP likes this.
  18. SkywalkerOG

SkywalkerOG Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 19, 2014
    I just meant it was missing a Jedi that was able to explain the force etc. like when maz and Han would speak about it they knew of it and we're strong witnesses to it but were not masters of the force if you looked at it through Rey's eyes i wouldn't have been sure about the force until I met kylo which is basically what happened.

19. MeBeJedi

May 30, 2002
    Hey, just be grateful we didn't get midi-chlorians... ;)

Sarge and Darth__Lobot like this.
  20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    George Lucas.

Mindless Monster likes this.
  21. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015
    I actually did miss some of Lucas's editing touch and we didn't get as many nice wide shots as I would have liked (it's not like JJ can't do it... the one on Jakku with the crashed star destroyer in the background was absolutely fantastic). I also could have used a few more new ship designs.

On the other hand I feel that we got much better characters/characterizations and dialogue.

Sarge likes this.
  22. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    And just to be clear - my comment was not hating on the film, I enjoyed it, just look at my sig! :)

Darth__Lobot likes this.
  23. Darth__Lobot

Dec 29, 2015

I don't hate any SW films. Even my least favorite (AOTC) gets watched at least once or twice a year :)

And I should clarify that I didn't mean to bash dialogues and characterization either. Some are good, and some are better :)

Darkslayer likes this.
  24. Stoneymonster

Stoneymonster Force Ghost star 4

May 8, 2002
    Did you change your rating? I thought it was an 8 before...

25. Zenwalker

Zenwalker Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    Some kind of Fett nod? I dunno, I loved TFA. I got nothin'. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.