main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did you think Watto was a character that was based on antisemitic stereotypes?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by KilroyMcFadden, Feb 9, 2013.

?

Did you think Watto was a character that was based on antisemitic stereotypes?

1. Yes

20.0%
  2. Yes but unintentionaly

6.7%
  3. No but I can see where people might get that impression

20.0%
  4. No

53.3%
  5. My feelings about Watto' character traits are more complex. See comment

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chainmail_Jedi

Chainmail_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 26, 2013
    I protest those in the media too.
    My opinion isn't fact either.
    The creator's word is most certainly not fact. It's just wrong to say that ANYONE'S opinions is fact, it's just wrong. Regardless of whether he created it or not. He just doesn't want to be called a bigot for putting something people are offended by in his movie.
    So I guess all of Walt Disney's cartoons aren't racist then, because he never said they were, and he's the creator of them? [face_laugh]

2. Lord Chazza

Lord Chazza Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2013
    We are not talking about the 1930s, we are talking about the 1990s. Walt Disney's cartoons may or may not have been racist. Not having seen any in ages I can't tell but they aren't relevant to the discussion we are having which is about a movie character from 1999.

Alexrd and DarthRelaxus like this.
  3. DarthRelaxus

DarthRelaxus Chosen One star 5

Apr 23, 2007
    Perceiving racism everywhere must be exhausting.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Yes it is. Again, he was the one who created the character, therefore he's the one who knows on what did he based the character on.

I'm not talking about anyone, now am I?

Regardless? No, that's not how it works.

Any evidence to support that claim?

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  5. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    May or may not? seriously?[face_laugh]

They are relevant, because he's a creator, and he never said they were racist, so they must not be racist!
    Creator's make **** up about the meaning of their content to protect themselves all the time. George is an example of this.

6. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    And another thing. If I make something and I intend that thing to be racist but it blatantly isn't racist then it's not racist. Right? So why can't that work the other way round. George Lucas may or may not have intended Watto to be racist but if it isn't racist then it isn't racist. I don't see malicious intent in Watto and neither do many other people so odds are, Watto isn't a racist caricature.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  7. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    And George falls into the category "anyone". It applies to anyone, and everyone.
    I don't need evidence. George is a human, all humans lie for various reasons. FACT. Is he lieing about Watto? Whether he is or not, would again be an opinion.

8. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    No accusing people of lying, mmkay?-Darth Boba

9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Prove it. You keep avoiding it, but when you make such claims you need to back them up, otherwise they are nothing more than baseless assumptions.

His opinion is a fact, because that's how he created the character.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  10. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Nope. False. Incorrect. Negative. How or why you create a character, doesn't determine what it is. What the character is, determines what it is.

11. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    What I'm saying, what I've been trying to say all along, is that racism is a perception. In the words of Obi Wan "it depends greatly on our point of view." I could go around saying that a neighborhood is racist because it has a higher proportion of white cars to black cars and I would be told, quite rightly, to **** off. I could even say that the car manufacturer was racist. But that is only my perception and is not relevant to the way things actually work and the way things actually work is that people bought a white car because it looks nice and Watto looks and sounds the way he is because it looks funny and repugnant for small children.

12. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    No. How you interpret the character determines your opinion of what the character is.

Lord Chazza likes this.
  13. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I've never been told to **** off for being offended by a caricature that has a droopy nose, speaks in a yiddish accent, and is a cheapskate. In fact, I would tell those who say "it's not racist" to rightly **** off.

14. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    And how George interprets his character determines his opinion of the character. Not what the character is.

15. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Precisely. And if lots of people label something racist then the label sticks. If only a tiny amount of people label something racist then the label doesn't stick. Not saying that's right or wrong but that's the way it is. Right, I'm logging out now. See you guys later.

16. Lord Chazza

Jan 4, 2013
    Last post from me now.

Have you not understood the point everybody has telling you? YOU see it as a caricature. Others don't. The end.

17. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    Droopy nose, yiddish accent, cheapskate. I guess others missed that part. I don't. The end.

18. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    This is a fact: grass is green. That's what it is. No one argues this.

This is an opinion: a movie character is/isn't racist (depending on individual perception). This is a point of view. Not a fact.

19. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I never argued that grass isn't green. Even a creator's statements about the meaning of a character, are his opinions of that character.

20. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    I was pointing out the difference between a fact and an opinion, as you seem to be confused.

21. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I'm not confused at all, but if you are implying that George's statements about a character are fact, then you would indeed be confused about what a fact is. George's opinions about Watto are opinions. Not facts.

22. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No.

What you're missing is... the point.

Since you see Jews as cheapskates, you see a cheapskate as a Jew.

But that's your problem.

FRAGWAGON and DarthRelaxus like this.
  23. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    I don't see Jews as cheapskates. You missed my post earlier. Try to pay attention better. I see, and have seen throughout history, propaganda used against Jews. I see that propaganda used in Watto.

24. DarthRelaxus

Apr 23, 2007
    I never mentioned George's statements. But I will now. George's opinion is that Watto is not a racist stereotype. I happen to share that opinion. You do not share that opinion.
    To put it simply, whether or not Watto is a stereotype is a matter of opinion not fact.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  25. Chainmail_Jedi

Jan 26, 2013
    [​IMG]
    No[/no].-Darth Boba

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.