main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Did your Age affect TPM for you?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Phantom Menace' started by Mr_Sith, Aug 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    I want those things too and TPM gives them to me. Age has ntohing to do with this.

2. Cyprusg

Cyprusg Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 16, 2002
    My theory has always been that the people that like The Phantom Menace like it not for the movie it is, but for the movie they THINK it is. Imagination can be a huge part in enjoying a movie, especially a movie like this where people are so familiar with the themes and the world.

That's fine and I don't care if people enjoy The Phantom Menace, but there is a difference in enjoying the movie and saying it's a great movie.

But anyway...let's not get off topic.

3. MrHat

MrHat Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 11, 2004
    I loved the movie when I was nine. Looking back I can now see the horribly Dialogue and miserable story.

4. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    I was 14 when I first saw the film, and I do remember I had some mixed feelings about it. A half of me enjoyed it because it was Star Wars and the other half was disappointed with some of the scenes and dialogue. I remember during the Coruscant scenes, I was ready to go home and found myself hoping the movie to soon be over.

Over the years, however, I have grown to appreciate the film more. The more I watch it, the more I have come to enjoy it.

5. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I was 15 when I first saw it, actually on a pirate VHS copy. I thought it sucked, but saw it at the movies, and still thought it sucked.

And now I'm 19 and I uh...still hate it.

So yes, age was a big factor.

6. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    I was 17 when I saw TPM on opening night. :D It was amazing! And still love it just as much today.

7. anidanami124

anidanami124 Jedi Master star 6

Aug 24, 2002
    NOpe I was 18 when I saw it. I liked it then I like it know. I was I think 6 when I saw TESB and I don't remember how old I was when I saw ANh and ROTJ. I was 21 when I saw AOTC.

8. MikeSolo

MikeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 6, 2002
    I feel that age or because it was a star wars movie has anything to do with enjoying this movie. I feel if GL made TPM before making ANH ESB or ROTJ, I'd enjoy TPM as much as I do now and age wouldn't matter.

9. jedi_madison

jedi_madison Jedi Youngling

Dec 3, 2003
    I saw it when I was like 11 and I wasn't impressed but now I love it! I was like that thing jar-jar is soooooooooo anoying

10. DarthSmurf

DarthSmurf Jedi Master star 5

May 10, 2003
    I was 12 when I first saw TPM, and I liked it. Now 5 years later, I like it just as much as I did then...maybe I even like it more. ;)

11. Ryloth_bounty_hunter

Ryloth_bounty_hunter Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 11, 2003
    I know, I know it's terrible to say, but true. I should have listened to my mom and taken a nap. :(

12. SkottASkywalker

SkottASkywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 3, 2002
    That's fine and I don't care if people enjoy The Phantom Menace, but there is a difference in enjoying the movie and saying it's a great movie.

I enjoy THE PHANTOM MENACE. The PHANTOM MENACE IS A GREAT movie. :cool:

Over the years, however, I have grown to appreciate the film more. The more I watch it, the more I have come to enjoy it.

I was 12 when I first saw TPM, and I liked it. Now 5 years later, I like it just as much as I did then...maybe I even like it more.

I was 17 when I saw TPM on opening night. It was amazing! And still love it just as much today.

Nice. :)

13. QuiGonHrafn

QuiGonHrafn Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 25, 2002
    I was 26 years old and I thought it was the greatest SW film ever. That opinion hasn't changed although I find it hard to decide between TPM and AOTC. The action and dramatic parts are better in AOTC but TPM has Liam Neeson as Qui Gon, the powerful presence of Darth Sidius, the brilliant Jar Jar Binks/Watto and I think Natalie Portman is much more powerful in TPM, especially the vote of no confidence scenes and when she returns to retake Naboo. Did my age affect TPM. Yes, probably as I think I would not have appreciated it as much if I had been a child. I would have liked but I wouldn't neccesarily have understood the complex plot or appreciated the great special effects and the brilliant duel of the fates.

14. Lorax

Lorax Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2003
    I was 10 or 11 when I first saw it in theaters. The thing I remember thinking most about it at the time is, Woah! Those Coruscant buildings are HUGE! Other than that, I can't really recall my first impressions. I was NOT interested in Star Wars at the time, so it didn't make a huge impact on me.

Can't say the same for now though. :D TPM is my fav SW movie!

15. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    I probably would've enjoyed all the Anakin/Jar Jar stuff more if I were a kid still
    some parts were just painful to watch
    I almost wanted to look through the credits and see if Disney had any involvement lol
    j/k
    but yes, a wee bit childish for a SW flick
    when you think about how adult and even gory the other films are

16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    in regards to the topic question:
    No.

17. fosh-bantus88

fosh-bantus88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 2003
    while viewing TPM for the first time, at age 10, i would have to say that epI was pretty awesome.

18. TrueJedi

TrueJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 22, 2000
    Lucas said that TPM was made for small children so yes, the film wasn't geared towards me. Hence, I no like.

19. Dani_Maul

Dani_Maul Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 5, 2003
    Well, I was 13 when I saw TPM for the first time. I loved it then. I got a little older...when the DVD came out...I was 16? Yeah, so, I kinda' wasn't sure then. Now at age 18, I have grown to appreciate this film more. It gives me an excellent escape when I want it. I feel it's a beautiful addition to the saga, and I love every minute of it. The film just gets better with age.

20. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    I was 30 the first time I saw it. I think being a little bit older helped me appreciate it more, because I didn't have the immature macho reaction to characters like JJB and young Anakin like guys in their 20s may have had. I loved it then, still love it now.

21. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Dani-Maul, that was refreshing! Nice to hear it! :)

22. Billy_Dee_Binks

Billy_Dee_Binks Force Ghost star 4

Mar 29, 2002
    I was twelve when I saw it. I guess it DOES in fact have something to do with age. Afterall, most bashers are cynical and at least over 25 years old.

Anyway, I too trend to analize it more than I did back then, but more of it's more about the interaction with the CGI character which is outstanding as well as the little body acting moments.

TPM was and will remain great anyway.

23. Patrick Russell

Patrick Russell Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 9, 1998
    I've heard the whole "You just didn't like TPM because you're too old and have lost touch with your inner child" thing over and over since 1999.

It's hogwash.

Yes, it's over a quarter of a century since I first saw Star Wars back in 1977. Chronologically-speaking, I'm a good bit older than I was back then. ;) But if I were the jaded, cynical, murdered-his-inner-child-in-cold-blood old fart that some might suggest that I am, I wouldn't have been as enthralled with LOTR as I was, I wouldn't be reading the old Oz books and digging them, I wouldn't have enjoyed Little Nemo as much as I did, and I wouldn't be looking forward to the next Harry Potter movie as much as I am.

I think TPM is far more garbage than gold, as I have since 1999, but it's certainly not because I'm "too old" to enjoy it. Believe me, I'm not that tough a sell when it comes to fantasy movies. I just find TPM to be sloppy, uninspired, and ultimately not all that much fun. I reckon I'd have felt the same way had I seen this flick when I was 10.

24. JohnWilliams00

JohnWilliams00 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 29, 2002
    I agree that the age argument, or "inner-child", is a load of poodoo.

I know people of all ages who loved TPM, and people of all ages who didn't.

Also, hating TPM doesn't mean you are cynical to the bone. I personally loved childrens movies like Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (that animated horse movie), Spirited Away, and Stuart Little. I even liked A Bug;s Life which came out the same year as TPM. Obviously, people accusing others of being cynics are just hurt their movie isn't universally loved.

Once again, excuses shot down faster than a Naboo Starfighter.

25. Sabreman

Sabreman Jedi Master star 2

Feb 11, 2001
    Also, hating TPM doesn't mean you are cynical to the bone. I personally loved childrens movies like Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron (that animated horse movie), Spirited Away, and Stuart Little. I even liked A Bug;s Life which came out the same year as TPM. Obviously, people accusing others of being cynics are just hurt their movie isn't universally loved.

Personally, I can't stand all those anthropomorphic Disney feature films. And one film I really hate is ET. I've always hated that film. The best thing that happened in that film was when the thing died. (Pity it had to come back to life.)

Anyway, back to TPM: I was 28 when I first saw it. I really enjoyed it then, and I still really enjoy it five years later.

EDIT: In my opinion, TPM is a damn sight better than other so-called blockbusters such as Independence Day and Armageddon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.