main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Didn't like TCW but love rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by VampLena, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    Another thing I really appreciated about TCW was that it began with a narration of the current events (or previous events that went on in the last episode of the arc), and featured a new "moral" every time.

darskpine10 likes this.
  2. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    At first I didn't like the style for Rebels either, but something about it has grown really attractive in my eyes. Unfortunately TCW style never grew on me, but sometimes the story was pretty damn good. I could just do without the goofy narrator and boxy animation style. I get what they were going for, just not my thing. But I will say, even though I didn't care for the character designs, the show overall looked great. Eye candy at times.

Oh another thing I loved about Rebels was Paul Reubens returning to Star Wars! Too funny.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Zeb can't cut metal with his beard.

4. Coffee Two Sugars

Coffee Two Sugars Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 8, 2015
    ...Zeb can't do anything right, can he. [face_shame_on_you]

5. starfish

starfish Chosen One star 5

Oct 9, 2003
    Zeb can fly a TIE fighter with his feet, even Wedge can't do that. :p

6. TheYankee

TheYankee Jedi Master star 1

Sep 23, 2006
    100x yes. The Clone Wars is pretty terrible, IMO. Part of it is the inevitable. We know what happens. (Oh, their mission is to kill General Grievous? I wonder how this will turn out!) It's all just filler material.

Rebels feels different, and has a much more original trilogy feel to it.

spicer likes this.
  7. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    See, I am completely opposite here. I don't need a narrator, or a blurb, or what have you to give me a "moral of the story" for every 23 minute episode. Just give me a good story. It seemed very dumbed down to me.

Darth_Pevra, spicer, Davak24 and 2 others like this.
  8. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    For a fan that couldnt GET into TCW, you sure seem to know a lot about the show and characters from it. I spell PT - clone wars bashing? Im sure your feelings about Rebels would be different if it was based 5 years after TPM vs being based 5 years before ANH. YEP TCW is a superior show to Rebels. Rebels needs to step it up.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  9. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    So because someone doesn't enjoy TCW as much as Rebels, they couldn't possibly know the characters and main story arcs of the series? Come on. I really couldn't get into TCW either, but I know what's going on in the Star Wars universe, because I'm a Star Wars fan.

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was really into TCW the first two seasons and part of the third, and I have seen every TCW episode.

And I agree 100 percent with TheYankee about the two shows.

TheYankee likes this.
  11. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    It's missing ambient shading, and little details. A lot of TCW used more detailing on the characters from S3 onwards, and we became used to it. Characters got progressively scruffy and dirty, the environments became more three dimensional, the characters felt more like flesh and blood characters. They moved smoother, and their designs felt more alive.

For comparison, TCW S5 and SW:R S1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Rebels doesn't have any of that. It looks computer generated. The characters look wooden again, like they did in the first two seasons of TCW. They don't move naturally anymore, the environments look faker. The street and metal on the side of the transport in the SW:R image, for example, looks like a cut and paste texture. The textures in TCW felt more tangible, while in SW: R they don't feel tangible or detailed whatsoever.

V-2 and TheOneX_Eleazar like this.
  12. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I love both TCW and Rebels. The stories are solid with very well developed characters. I look forward to seeing more of Rebels and rewatching TCW in the future. I've bought each season upon release and I consider them to be worth every dollar.

CoolyFett likes this.
  13. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    Reposting because there's stupid no edit and Wookieepedia wants to be jerks about image sharing...

Cheerios4u98 likes this.
  14. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    That would mean they were INTO it. No fence riding either you watched it or you didnt. Who is going to watch 100 episodes of an animated series and then turn around and say they arent into it? Normally a statement like that is made when someone is introduced to a show they watch 3 or 4 episodes, they dont like it then STOP watching. Most people wont continue to waste their time reading or watching something they are not into.

15. TheYankee

Sep 23, 2006
    Geez dude, get ruffled about semantics a bit more why don't ya? When someone says they weren't "into it," it doesn't mean they didn't watch any episodes. I can watch episodes but still not be "into it." That's exactly how I would describe myself.

16. Ahsoka's Tano

Ahsoka's Tano Force Ghost star 7

Oct 28, 2014
    I'm just amazed at how long this thread has been going on. I've already stated that I'm a huge fan of TCW; rewatching episodes and full arcs every so often just because to me they were so good and memorable. I was very apprehensive on Rebels after watching the first few episodes, but IMO it certainly got better later on. I'm not going to say that I like Rebels as much as I like TCW, but that's not to say I'm not looking forward to upcoming season in a few weeks.

17. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Are people still touting the line of "if you like SWR you can only be a Lucas/PT BASHER"? I'd really love to see the data these conspiracy theorists get their ideas from.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I adore "The Clone Wars"! It has some flaws, but I love it so much for many reasons.

In the beginning I was meh on "Rebels". The "TV movie" and the first few episodes I did not care about. Things started getting interesting once the series showed what happened to Luminara. "Rebels" is growing on me and I am kinda excited for the second season of the show due to the return of many characters from "The Clone Wars".

SeparatistFan and Ahsoka's Tano like this.