main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

*Dies of Shock*

Discussion in 'Archive: Moncton, NB' started by DarthBabe, Jul 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBabe

DarthBabe Jedi Grand Master star 7

Mar 18, 2002
    The ACG is gone!!!
    :_| [face_worried] :eek: :mad:

2. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    :confused: It turned into the Atlantic Canada Forum.

Will it ever be our ACG again? Alas, no. :(

3. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    Actually I believe it is being renamed back to the old names... if you check out the thread in Canada General, you can get the skinny... :)

4. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Actually, last night it wasn't there at all. But now it's back, it's all good now. :D

5. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    Actually, ACG has disappeared. :eek:

wolf

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    Now all the General forums except Canada and, for some reason, Quebec are missing... :p

7. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    The forums are still there; they are just in "hiding". I'm playing around with some of the functions on those boards.

In a nutshell?I'm trying to get everyone on a level playing field across Canada, regarding what the forums are to be used for.

For some time now the ACG has been labelled poorly, referred to as ?spam central?, and with good reason. The socializing within the ACG is not wrong it's rather misplaced. It would be welcome in the Canada General for all Canadians to participate in, or even better served within your own Chapter forums for a more personal feel.

Canada is an oddity in regards to its forum set up. Every region globally has 1 General forum with it?s chapters listed below, Canada has 6 General forums. (Seems like overkill doesn't it.) But now I'm getting requests for more social forums.

In the beginning the "General" Forums within our regions were specifically made for the birthing of new chapters. Forums provincially set up for people to meet and greet, and then pair up and move on to their own Chapter forums. Unfortunately, that set-up has strayed. The General forums are slowly become second chapter forums and in some ways hampering new members and chapters from become established.

I'm not saying socializing is bad, in fact without it the boards would be dead, but there is a place for it. There are countless lurkers on these boards daily. Give them a chance to post in a quiet setting. Acknowledge them with a greeted responds, and strike up a conversation with them after they have posted their hello. This is the best plan for generating new members and chapters. Filling a forum with ?spam?, just to keep the forums appearance active, alienates those who feel they "don't fit in" simply because they are not already part of the established group.

Edit: You can forget everything I just said. Apparently "spam/social threads" are now being allowed and if anyone requests a new forum we are required to give it to them regardless of who asks, why, or what for. (I think I'll ask for a forum of my own.)

8. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Really? Adam doesn't know about that does he? ;) [face_devil]

EDIT:Give them a chance to post in a quiet setting. Acknowledge them with a greeted responds, and strike up a conversation with them after they have posted their hello. This is the best plan for generating new members and chapters. Filling a forum with ?spam?, just to keep the forums appearance active, alienates those who feel they "don't fit in" simply because they are not already part of the established group.

I don't completely agree with this statement. Ok, sure the ACG itself is quite "spamified." But when I first started as a newbie (I guess I'd still be considered a newbie :p), I found it to be a great place to post. The people there were and are still welcoming. It's got a nice laid back atmosphere to it.

I'd still rather start out in the ACG rather in the Welcome forum...I lurked there for awhile, I don't know, it reminds me of a daycare center. I find there's too much babying.

Even with all the spam, posters have come in from other countries to hang out with us.

9. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Jul 8, 2002
    I think the fact that half our poster base was sometimes visitors can attest to that.

ACG was the part of the boards I felt at home the fastest, because everyone was just so nice to me!

10. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Don't take away our beloved community!

11. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    ACG is not going anywhere so do not worry :)

12. DarthBabe

Mar 18, 2002
    Woo hoo! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.