main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Difference between digital version and normal?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by RurouniKJS, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RurouniKJS

RurouniKJS Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2005
    I'm thinking of making a trip to see ROTS on a digital screen. Worth it? (Aside from getting to watch it again, period.) Any scene/dialogue differences?

2. stormcloud8

stormcloud8 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    I didn't notice any difference. But both times I saw a normal projection, it was probably the first time the reels had been played, hence no damage to them. Although, during the midnight show it stopped dead 10 minutes into the show.

The real advantage to digital right now is that the film projections have been shown probably 50-100 times by now, meaning problems with scratches and audio and all kinds of stuff. A digital projection will still look crystal clear.

3. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I noticed a HUGE difference seeing it digitally last night. It was so clear, and not jumpy at all. I couldn't believe how clear it was. I actually thought that maybe all the digital animation would look less real, but I was totally wrong, it actually looks far more realistic. It was absolutely worth making the trip, especially now that normal film reels are seriously degrading.

4. generalgreivous4

generalgreivous4 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 5, 2005
    Well I have only seen the movie twice on Normal projections, and the quality of the picture has not been perfect, I think Digital is the way to go today. To be honest, I'd probaly enjoy the movie more now on DVD, as the picture would probaly be better than I have seen it already.

Cant wait for the DVD!

5. katha

katha Jedi Grand Master star 2

Jan 30, 2002
    There were no scene differences that I noticed. (I saw the movie on normal, digital, AND IMAX) I wasn't terribly impressed with IMAX as it really seemed just a bigger screen to me, however if you have an opportunity to see the movie (or any good movie) in digital GRAB IT and run. Digital is the future and hopefully the more interest movie goers show in this the faster theaters will be able to incorporate it.

Anyway, if you can see if in digital do it. I'ts awesome.. bottom line.

6. JediRac

JediRac Jedi Master star 2

Apr 10, 2001
    Drop everything and go see this movie in digital. It's worth it. I have an older thread in 3NS which lists all the digital theaters so you can check that out if you need to.

7. DarthTickle

DarthTickle Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    I saw it digitally and it was my worst viewing. Not because the picture was bad, it wasn't, it was great, but because of the theater. It's an older theater with horribly squeaky chairs. Anytime someone shifts his weight, you get a loud squeak. A chorus of squeaky chairs can be heard at any time. Why don't they oil their damn chairs?

8. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Tickle, the exact same thing happened in my theatre. The chairs were horribly squeaky, uncomfortable, and it wasn't stadium seating. But it was still totally worth it, I'll probably go back again this weekend.

9. DarthTickle

Jun 1, 2002
    Merrifield Multiplex? Man, all these new theaters have spoiled me. I used to watch everything at the squeaky theater and now I can't stand to go there unless it's for a digital flick.

10. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    [face_laugh] Yeah, same theatre!! Too funny. I'll probably go back either tomorrow or this weekend myself. I saw it in an awesome theatre today, but I'm a sucker for the digital version, no matter what the theatre is like.

11. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Ha ha guys, I saw it at Merrifield too and it was AWFUL!!!! There were 10 of us and we kept talking after about the horrible squeaking.

We should have all met up to see it. Actually, now that I think of it, a "Farewell to the 3NS" viewing might be kind of fun. The three of us have all been to Merifield, and I remember dojotony was at the DC premier, so we surprisingly have a few of us concentrated here in a small area. Anyone interested? Do we have others in this area?

12. RebelScum77

Aug 3, 2003
    Haha, you may be onto something there storm. I'd probably be down. It's an hour and a half drive for me, but it'd be worth it. Who else is from around there?

13. stormcloud8

May 24, 2002
    Well there's you, me, and Tickle for sure. Let's see if Tickle logs in and has an opinion on this. I haven't seen any posts from dojotony lately, he may have dropped off. I could PM him and check. Perhaps we should start a separate thread to try and drum up interest.

14. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Edmonton, Alberta doesn't have a digital theatre.

I *have* seen one version that looks digital to me - and I would swear there were a few extra shots in the OSB/crash landing bit, but I could easily be wrong. I'm not 110% familiar with ROTS yet, unlike the other 5 movies.:-B

15. Mr. P

Mr. P FanFic Archive Editor, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 1, 2000
    I cannot wait until this movie is out on DVD. I probably will be getting a powerbook before I go back to school, so I can hook it up to our giant 57" widescreen HDTV and enjoy ROTS in all its glory. :D :D :D

P

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I haven't seen it in anything but digital, actually. The closest digital theater is right down the block from my college. I guess it's convenient I'm going home right about the time it's replaced by Batman Begins, although film will be a downgrade after being spoiled like this. Gorgeous image quality; it's like a hi-res DVD playing right on the screen.

There might be something odd with film prints, though. It could be "Biggs at Anchorhead" syndrome (as in the scene that some people swear was on the print of ANH they saw, even though LFL says that no prints were made like that, and probably because they read about it or listened to it somewhere else and remember it that way), but there are some reports of people swearing they saw different shots like Dooku's head landing or Padme saying "This is how democracy dies..." instead of "liberty".

17. DarthTickle

Jun 1, 2002
    Heh, that could be fun. I'm only a few minutes away from Merrifield. I'm pretty extremely busy lately, though. Depends on the time. I don't have much time this weekend and then the next two weekends I'll be in the middle of a move.

But seriously? They can't invest in some WD-40 for those chairs? They were able to pay the $150k or whatever for the projector but not spend some cash on some lubricant? I'm trying to hear the movie and I keep getting distracted by the chorus of "rheeeeeaaar?" There's a question mark there because it sounds like the chairs are asking a question. "Squueeaaaaaaaarrrk?" And I don't want to shift my weight during the entire two and a half hours because then I'll be the one making noise, but eventually I have to. "Queeeeeeeeeeeeeeet?"

18. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    It's that way for audience participation. Make your own Boga sound effects.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.