main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Differences between SW film lightsaber fights & their novelization counterparts...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ANAKINSKYWEEZER, Jun 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ANAKINSKYWEEZER

ANAKINSKYWEEZER Jedi Master star 3

Feb 18, 2003
    I was wondering if anyone knew what things the authors of the SW novel adaptations took the liberty with in altering/adding on to the lightsaber duels from their onscreen counterparts. For one, I read on these boards that Palpatine kills Mace's posse in a much different, more grotesque fashion. I also seem to recall there being a scene in the ESB duel (from the novel) where Vader ripped a bunch of big, heavy electrical wires off a wall, wrapped them around Luke, and then used the Force to tug at all the wires and cause his son excruciating pain.

Anything else? I also heard that the Anakin/Obi-Wan/Dooku fight scene in Matthew Stover's novel is longer. How is it longer? What does he do to beef it up? Any help from you guys pertaining to any of the duels in the SW novel saga would be great. :)

2. JediMike821

JediMike821 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    The Kenobi/Anakin/Dooku duel at the beginning was a lot longer because there was more motive to it. Dooku planned on dragging them out in a fight and then killing Kenobi, causing Anakin to go on a rage. He'd then let himself get captured and then end the clone wars and help Palps and Anakin form the Empire (or something like that). Anyway, he intentionally just tries to hold off for a while, then he gradually loses control as he can't keep up with Kenobi and Anakin, then he eventually falls apart and gets his but kicked. Thats the way they drag it out really. Stover also gives the duel from Dooku's point of view it seems and he talks a lot of each fighters styles and style changes (anakin and obi-wan use their least powerful forms first to fool Dooku before they unleash on him).

Hopefully thats what you wanted (and hopefully I told you right).

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    there's also a lot of debris and objects used like a conference table thrown about and jumped atop, etc.

4. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    During their duel on the second DS, when Luke is hiding under the catwalk and Vader is looking for him, Luke tosses his deactivated lightsaber out on the floor at his father's feet and Vader clips it to his belt. Then when he threatens to turn Leia to the dark side, Luke summons his blade to him and then activates it before really going after Vader. In the movie Luke merely hides under the catwalk. Without tossing away his lightsaber he's able to instantly activate it when Vader enrages him with that threat.

5. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    actually, you can see Vader holding Luke's sabre just prior to Luke going berserk in ROTJ.

6. Vindaxxus

Vindaxxus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 29, 2000
    Anakin\Dooku duel in AOTC was a lil different than the movie. Dooku was actually shocked at how powerful Anakin was.

7. JediMike821

JediMike821 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 18, 2002
    The Mace/Palps fight doesn't even come close to what the novel portrays it as. I'm just reading it now and the novel makes it sound fast, intense, ruthless, and dark (even from Windus side). The movie had it look slow, short, and rather clumsy almost.

8. Darth_Seer

Darth_Seer Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 27, 2004
    I agree completely, Jedi Mike. The Mace-Sidious battle was definetly a lot cooler in the book... SLJ seemed slow and unskilled when compared to Stover's thoroughly wicked description of him.

9. MaxVeers

MaxVeers TFN FanFilms Staff, Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    Knight1192 posted on 6/3/05 8:23pm
    During their duel on the second DS, when Luke is hiding under the catwalk and Vader is looking for him, Luke tosses his deactivated lightsaber out on the floor at his father's feet and Vader clips it to his belt. Then when he threatens to turn Leia to the dark side, Luke summons his blade to him and then activates it before really going after Vader. In the movie Luke merely hides under the catwalk. Without tossing away his lightsaber he's able to instantly activate it when Vader enrages him with that threat.
    [hr][/blockquote]
    This was actually filmed, but not included in the final edit. If you look in Vader's hand as he's searching for Luke, you can see he's holding Luke's lightsaber.

[link=http://www.starwarz.com/tbone/cut_scenes/ep6/luke_vs_vader.htm]Check it out[/link]

10. LandoSystem1138

LandoSystem1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2005
    SLJ seemed slow and unskilled when compared to Stover's thoroughly wicked description of him.

Ah, but Sam Jackson seems to think it's cool since "he's the second baddest dude in the galaxy" Mace's fighting style is "pretty efficient. Waste as little as energy as possible. None of that twirling crap." Then you see him on AOTC dvd twirling his blade around.

So much style of his own my asphalt! SLJ just doesn't know what he's talking about.

11. Nishka

Nishka Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 5, 2004
    The first dooku and Anakin fight was a let down in the movie especally after reading the way Anakin was able to use the force to try and trip up Dooku and how impressed he was by his power.

12. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Anakin and Obiwan vs. Dooku in the Rots Novel also had them playing a neat little trick on Dooku. Anakin fought part of the fight using some Ataru(form IV) and Schien(on of two styles of form V,difference between it and Anakins normal V is they way the lightsaber is held and Shien is less flashy) and Obiwan used Ataru and Schii Cho(Form I) then as dooku starts to taunt them after awhile they switch styles Anakin to Djemv S(his normal very powerful Form V) and Obiwan switch es to Form III Soresu(the super defensive style)

13. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Stover's novel also goes into detail about how Mace uses Vaapad in the duel. But, strangely enough, makes no mention of how pulling silly faces and changing his appearance into that of a stuntman half his age helped Palpatine focus the power of the dark side.... ;)

14. Darth_Snuggle

Darth_Snuggle Jedi Master star 2

Jun 5, 2005
    I liked Salvatore's description of Dooku's style in the Ep II novelization much more than the version seen in the film, but maybe that's just because I fence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.