main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Differences between the book and the clone wars movie.

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by beezel26, Aug 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    Anyone here read the clone wars book yet? I am in the middle of reading it and its pretty interesting. It brings to light the struggles anakin is having and the problem with the jedi that Dooku sees.

Oh the action isnt as cool as the movie though. The part about the sitdown between kenobi and and the other general doesnt exist. He gives up but no mention of the dialogue.

2. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    I think the book complements the movie rather well. Everything that works better visual is in the movie, the rest is in the book. More or less.;)
    It works well if you see the movie first ebcause you know what kind of action is going on in the background while Anakin (or whoever) is divulging his thoughts.

3. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Yes, I never understood the fans who would read the novelization first, and then see the film after.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I read the novel before seeing the film. I usually do with SW films. Knowing the story basics makes it easier to appreciate the visual display. I liked the novel - it fleshed out Capt Rex as a character. Knowing that made me appreciate him more in the film.

On the other hand, when I saw the latest Indy film I had the novel but waited til afterwards to read it.

5. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Agreed, there's a fine line between reading spoilers and reading the actual novelizations. Also, I don't think you need to read the novel to full appreciate Rex as a character. I still haven't read the novel and Rex still stands out to me as having a personality, but still having the clonetrooper moral.

Here's a question to those of you who have already read it, or those reading it currently- when you read the book, do you see it as the CW animation, or the LA we see in the movies?

6. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    animation. I cant get ahsoka out of my head as a real person.

7. GrandAdmiral_Frank

GrandAdmiral_Frank Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 26, 2003
    I wasn't going to read the book beforehand but I did and to me the book is so much better than the movie. It's better because it gets into the thoughts and feelings of everyone and is overall more realistic.

8. Acaciah

Acaciah Jedi Master star 1

Jun 30, 2002
    I read the book after I saw the movie. I really enjoyed the movie, but I adored the book so much that I went out and got the first Republic Commando by Karen Traviss. The book does an excellent job of getting into the character's heads. For example,

"...Anakin struggled to shut out the memory of the Tusken Raiders. They vanished. But in the melee he saw a tall gold figure with long black claws, a Blood Carver called Ke Daiv. He'd killed him too, years ago.

It's not darkness.
    I'm not dark.
    This isn't anger --

It was okay; they'd always told him so. He was fighting to save his men, and if he did terrible things out of compassion, out of love, then he wasn't serving the Dark Side. That was the Jedi way.

For my mother. For my men. For Padme."

(c) Karen Traviss and LFL, all rights reserved

There are some equally fab Dooku and Ventress type quotes as well. Some of them run through the characters inner monologue, some are at the beginning of chapters. The book is absolutely worth picking up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.