main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Different languages have inspiration from our world?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by venusboy, Jun 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. venusboy

venusboy Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 26, 2005
    I've heard that GL has used fragments of languages in OUR world in different SW-creatures' languages. Some of them have, for an example, extractions from the Dutch language. Does anyone know if this is true, or are all the SW-languages GL's own creations?

2. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    It isn't so much George Lucas who has done this--it is sound designer Ben Burtt. Ben has always felt that if you just invent a language with new sounds, it will sound something like pig latin. To form languages which sound real, he combines many different languages and sounds from around the world. The result is the brilliant combination of noises which make up the various and diverse languages of the galaxy far, far away.

Nien Numb (the Falcon's co-pilot in ROTJ) speaks a combination of a Kenyan tribal language as well as a few other languages.

The Ewoks are a combination of many languages. As is Huttenese.

Personally, I love to hear the languages in the films. It adds new depth to the saga and the galaxy.

-Seldon

3. DarthSkeptical

DarthSkeptical Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 19, 2001
    Burtt says in the commentary to Episode IV that Huttese is a variation on a Mayan dialect still being spoken in rural South America. I don't recall whether he names the language specifically, though. Check your DVD commentary in the now-infamous "Han Shot First" scene.

4. Spike_Spiegel

Spike_Spiegel Former FF Administrator Former Saga Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2002
    Actually, I think that Huttese is Quechua, the Incan language that is still being spoken by the descendants of the Incas in South America. I remember, because my wife is from Peru and we have a couple of Quechua dictionaries and I've been looking for Huttese words ever since...

5. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    You might very well be right. I always get my South American kingdoms mixed up. :)

6. DarthSkeptical

Aug 19, 2001
    As pointed out in an earlier post, Lando's co-pilot in Episode VI is voiced by a Kenyan, who literally translated some lines that Ben Burtt wrote out for him in English that were contextually appropriate for the scenes. Language: Haya, principally spoken in Tanzania, but also Kenya and the Niger-Congo region.

7. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    Reading tip : "The Galactic Phrase book & travel guide" by Ben Burtt - contains some explanations about the used languages.

ISBN 0-345-44074-9

Del Rey as publisher.

8. DarthWeenie

DarthWeenie Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 2, 2002
    I know several philipinos who, totally independant of each other, SWEAR that the ewoks speak tagalog.

Ord Mandrell speaks spanish. "Que pasa, que pasa, que pasa, quepasa! Oy, mama."

Dont forget the Mos Eisley cantina.

Also, "Me bosca de Shmi Skywalker" is really similar to how you would say the same phrase in spanish.

9. Darth_Ares-Lido

Darth_Ares-Lido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 31, 2005
    I have heard that Chewbaccas language is a combination of different animal sounds.

10. Arwen Sith

Arwen Sith Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 30, 2005
    Both Padmé and Ani's names are included in the Buddhist mantra Om Mani Padme Hum... Given that GL has described himself as a Methodist-Buddhist, I don't think it's altogether a coincidence.

11. General_Obi_1

General_Obi_1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2005
    I belive that the Jawas language is speeded up Swahiyli (Wrong spelling I'm sure) Which is an africain dialect.

12. DarthNidLoc

DarthNidLoc Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 19, 2005
    Other then Auruebesh(the most common Alphabet in GFFA) the only other alphabnet we have a canon example of is the ancient sith alphabet. seen on pictures of Darth vaders chestplate control board. The sith alphabet is the hebrew alphabet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.