main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Differentiating between a Jedi Knight and a Jedi Master

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Kquaki, May 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kquaki

Kquaki Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    How can you tell if a Jedi is a master or simply a knight? It seems that many jedi go from padawan straight to master like obi-wan kenobi. however, there are several instances where well known jedi are only Knights and never refered to as a master, yet they arent still padawans. how can one differentiate between a knight and a master without it being stated (i.e. Master Yoda)

2. Avon-Guido

Avon-Guido Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2005
    the only physical difference i can notice is their hair styles.. usually a padawan has short hair with that one little pony tail in a rubber band.. a jedi master usually has long flowing locks.. that is really the only thing i can think of..

3. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Was Kenobi a master in AOTC? I always figured he was a knight. *shrugs* There was a bit of time in between, I can see how he ranked up during that time. Once a Jedi passes his or her trials (Each one being different to the respective Padawan) they move on to Jedi Knight.

As for becoming a Master, it seems the Council bestows this honor upon those the think are deserving... that's my take on it.

4. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    Yoda has no hair yet he is still a Jedi master...hmmm...

5. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    Well Yoda went bald when he was probably 500 years old.. lol

6. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yoda has no hair yet he is still a Jedi master...hmmm...

Are you gonna be the one to tell him he can't be a master because he's balding? :)

"Fear of hair loss is a path to the dark side."

7. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    No I probably wouldnt tell him heh... He'd go all flippin over my head and chop my kneecaps off. :eek: The only real differnce tho would be the trials they have to go through and I thought that only a master could take on a apprentice? Or am I wrong?

8. Kquaki

Kquaki Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    i thought count dooku referred to him as Master Kenobi.

9. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    That probably has the same relevancy as when the youngling called Anakin Master Skywalker before he sliced them up.

10. Kquaki

Kquaki Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2005
    so would you say it has more to do with point of view and kinda a title of respect as opposed to the "absolutes" of having a specific list of knights and a specifit list of masters

11. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    yes i would, except for when its the council stating it to someone.. i dont recall anyone from the council ever calling anakin master skywalker, they always would call him young skywalker..

12. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    I remember the council specifically stating that Anakin wouldnt be granted masterhood...when sidious had him placed on the council they told him this. He also had a discussion with kenobi about it later on.

13. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    the never stated it, obi-wan said to him he will be a master soon.. mace stated that he was on the council but would not achieve the rank of master..

14. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    this implies however that he never had or achieved the rank of master throughout the movie and trilogy.

15. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    well to the jedi he was never a master, but to the sith he had achieved it..

16. LightJedi

LightJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 19, 2005
    That brings up the whole question of is a sith lord equal to a jedi master? As i'm aware the sith only have 2 classes the sith apprentice and the sith lord, but the jedi have three, apprentice, knight, master. Would this mean the sith skip a level or are the jedi always "ranked" above them?

17. Avon-Guido

May 28, 2005
    That brings up the whole question of is a sith lord equal to a jedi master? As i'm aware the sith only have 2 classes the sith apprentice and the sith lord, but the jedi have three, apprentice, knight, master. Would this mean the sith skip a level or are the jedi always "ranked" above them?

well there is more ranks than that, but in the movies you'd be correct.. but the jedi have 4, youngling, padawan(apprentice), knight, master.

18. Kakkaraun

Kakkaraun Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2005
    I think from what we've seen both Sith are typically much stronger (at least in terms of combat) than the average Jedi Master.

19. Chameleon102

Chameleon102 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 5, 2005
    The Sith also spend MUCH longer as apprentices. You become a Master by 'removing' the previous Master, and Sith are smart enough to wait until they are TOTALLY sure of being able to defeat their Masters.

I always thought that Obi-Wan was Padawan in Ep1, Knight in Ep2 and Master in Ep3, but I guess that 10 years between TPM and AOTC is a long time for a Jedi of Kenobi's calibre to be a Knight.

I think the Younglings don't really know about Anakin not being a Master, and call him 'Master Skywalker' accordingly. They're about 7 years old, they don't know about the political intricacies of Anakin's appointment. As far as they're concerned, if you're on the Council, you're a Master.

20. PrinceHector

PrinceHector Jedi Youngling star 2

May 29, 2005
    From what I got out of it, out of the levels "Youngling, Padawan, Knight, Master" - to become a Padawan you have to become accepted by a Jedi knight or Master (e.g. Obiwan was accepted by Qui-Gon). For the "Knight", it is referred to as "trials" (Anikan says in Episode Two "I'm ready for the trials, but Obi-Wan says I'm not ready!" or something), so they have to undergo a test of some sort. Obi-Wan gained knighthood after killing Darth Maul. For the Master, yes you have to become accepted by the Jedi Council. In Episode three, Anikan is angry that the Jedi Council won't let him become a master, even though he feels he is the most powerful of them all.

21. DarthMyBoy

DarthMyBoy Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2003
    Obi-Wan was a Jedi Knight in AoTC, the "Master Kenobi" said by Dooku was a form of respect (Although Dooku was virtually mocking him). In ROTS it is said that the Council bestows the rank of "Master" on its own. During the Clone Wars OB1 must have been given the rank of master

22. whiteeagle

whiteeagle Jedi Master star 6

Dec 24, 2004
    Obiwan is a padwan in episode 1 cause quigon tells him "you must be mindful of the living force my young PADAWN'. at the end of episode I yoda grants him the rank of knight and by episode he becomes a master.

and a correction to prince hector obiwan says he is ready for the trials when he is addressing the council in episode 1.

23. Darth-Zame43

Darth-Zame43 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2004
    I think from what we've seen both Sith are typically much stronger (at least in terms of combat) than the average Jedi Master.

This is shown when Mace is holding the Emperor at lightsaber point.

I think the main difference would be what they are allowed to see in the Jedi Archives, their knowledge of the force, and their devotion and mastery of the Jedi ways.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.