main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Difficult question about a certain debate among fans concerning the look of Episode 7.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Mike-Cody, Aug 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mike-Cody

Mike-Cody Jedi Knight

Mar 17, 2013
    So when the images of the new X Wing were released on the main website the comments section erupted in a debate about how the look of Star Wars, 30 years later, should look. I'm just still curious about this debate but the comments have been deleted since then so I can't remember the exact terms that were used. But I do remember one side argued about a more polished "shiny" future while others wanted SW EpVII to have a more old rugged style realistic future like the OT. Fans coined these 2 different futuristic but I can't remember the names and it's killing me because I was really intrigued by the discussion. Can anyone help me out to remember exactly what the argument was about in that comment section?

2. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
  3. icqfreak

icqfreak Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 1999
    My biggest gripe is there is nothing really "new" yet.

It's a lot of existing stuff, or slightly newer version of stuff.

At least in the prequels there were a lot of new designs, and even the designs that hearkened to stuff in the OT was still unique enough in it's own way.

So far for Ep 7 we have a new xwing that a casual fan might not even know is different, a slightly different stormtrooper helmet, the millennium falcon that is possibly unchanged, and rumors of using tie fighters and star destroyers again.

4. MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN

MASTERJEDICALRISSIAN Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 6, 2002
    You're referring to the "used future" debate. It was George Lucas's concept for a more gritty realistic look. Type it in on google and there's plenty of articles about it. There's another term for the "glossy polished look" for Star Wars PT called "blank" future, but I forget what it was coined.

Dak Oolron likes this.
  5. Thomas Solo

Thomas Solo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2012
    To someone who saw ANH when he was 7 years old, I have been nothing but jazzed over what we have seen so far. It looks like Star Wars, more so than the PT (which I really did like, by the way), so I'm a happy dude. I think since ROTJ, things of course would have changed, but time is what it is. Things will get older and weathered. The PT was the shiny look of a civilization at apex. The OT was the slow disintegration of it, the ST should, or could follow that logic and have there be 'new' things that are 30 years weathered. Maybe? Ok.....maybe not.

Dak Oolron and thejeditraitor like this.
  6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    While there is some truth to this, I would argue that we are still fairly early in the production and there is time to get more leaks. Plus, I'm quite certain that, with Abrams' track record for secrecy, he would keep the new stuff locked down pretty tight. Showing a McQuarrie inspired updated X-Wing, oh so casually in the background of an unrelated video, is just the way to tickle the fans' imagination.

As for TIE fighters and Star Destroyers - well to be fair it's reasonable to assume we will see the new versions of these and I see nothing wrong with that. In fact, the Republic capital ships in AOTC and ROTS are very much like Star Destroyers yet I don't see any complaints to that.

7. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I really liked the design of the Clone Trooper Gunship. That was all.

Import_Jedi likes this.
  8. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999

Good points but it's only been 30 years. Not enough time for galaxy-wide style changes in a world where technology is already hyper-advanced. The reason so much changed between the prequels and OT is because of the Empire (although I think X-wings should definitely have existed in the PT era).

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  9. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    They did...as ARC-170s

whostheBossk and Darth PJ like this.
  10. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

I tell ya, theforce.net crowd are probably the biggest concentration of Star Wars PhD's on the internets.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  11. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001

Either that's a compliment or my sarcasm detector is as defective as that of Sheldon Cooper. I'll take it as a compliment.

12. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

It was definitely a compliment. Honestly.

Jedi Knight Fett and Import_Jedi like this.
  13. miasma

miasma Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 29, 2013
    I've been happy with what we've seen so far. I do hope we get some completely new designs, and I trust we will. Keep in mind that we've only seen a very small portion of the props, ships, etc. And, it's entirely possible that the reason we're seeing these particular props/ships is precisely because it is NOT the new stuff. In other words, it's not hugely spoilerific stuff. It's simply stuff that reminds us, "Oh, yeah, we're getting a new SW film! Cool!"

And as for the storm trooper helmet: I have no problem with it at all. It seems like a natural evolution of what's come before. Storm Trooper/Clone Trooper helmets are one of the consistent things that define the SW aesthetic. TPM was the only one of the six existing films to not have them. I'm glad episode 7 will keep the tradition of that aesthetic.

whostheBossk and Import_Jedi like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.