main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Cameras

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith (Non-Spoilers)' started by gahiggidy2000, Jul 31, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gahiggidy2000

gahiggidy2000 Jedi Youngling

Aug 7, 2001
    Is there no thread about this topic? I did a search and can't find anything....which is surprising as I find the choice a major factor in the overall outcome of eppy 3.

Anyways, the one thing that keeps my from full-heartedly loving AOTC is the somewhat off look of the dital film. Don't get me wrong, I was very excited when I learned they were making the jump to digial-film-making...but I have to admit AOTC wasn't quite up to the image quality of TPM. I was particularly bothered by the lack of light/shadow detail...where it seems the technology just couldn't capture the subtle color/light differences in the shadows of people's faces and clothing.

I have hope for the future of digital-filmaking, and am confident it will eventually supercede film-stock quality with a few more iterations of technology imporvements....which brings us to eppy 3. I've read that they are using Sony's new generatio fo camera's...(Defining High-Definition)...this improvement has me hopeful my gripes about AOTC will be answered...

The letters (YCBCR, RGB) represent the type of data recorded, while the three numbers (4:4:2, 4:4:4) are representative of how detailed that data is sampled. Whereas RGB stores red, green, and blue light data, YCBCR stores the differences between colors.

"The Y stands for the luma, or brightness data, which your eye is most sensitive to," describes Meyers. "The CB and the CR stand for differences between the luma and the color, and those differences the eye is somewhat less sensitive to." The numbers indicate that that the luma is stored at twice the information complexity as the differences (4:2:2). The new format records the colors red, green and blue each at a full 4:4:4.

Having a richer, purer image to start results in increased flexibility further down the production pipeline...[hr][/blockquote]I [i]think[/i] that solves the problem I see in AOTC with a lack of detail in shadows/darks and an unnatural contrast between lights/darks. But does anyone actually know this to be true? Have these new cameras been tested?

2. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    I did hear they were going to try a new generation camera for E3, but I can't remember any of the details.

I personally didn't think there was a problem on the AOTC DVD concerning what you brought up. I watched AOTC in a non-digital cinema and the opening shot of coruscant looked awful - it was almost black and white. There wasn't much colour at all in it. I went to another cinema and I had the same problem. I got the DVD and everything looks fine. So I don't think it's necessarily the camera that is causing this problem, its the conversion back to film that is.

3. NateTheGreat

NateTheGreat Jedi Youngling star 3

May 18, 2003
    I'm just hoping that GL makes a great final product. Whatever technology will get him a truck-load of oscars, he should use.

4. Aesop

Aesop Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2003
    I think that it's clear the best technology does not always create the best final product.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.