main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Domain will release proprietary compositing software to public

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by PixelMagic, Dec 11, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Some of you probably already know this, but the visual effects company Digital Domain (which in my opinion is the third best visual effects company in the world; ILM being number one, Weta Digital being number 2) is releasing their own compositing software called Nuke to the public. It's their own software, much like ILM's CompTime or SABRE. Anyway, I don't know how much it will sell for. The company formed a software company called D2Software. Their site is here...

D2Software

Just a little heads up.

2. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    Looks like starting price is $10,000 per workstation (though you get a $3,000 discount if you buy before March, 2003).
    Pretty cool looking. Screen shots from ST:Nemasis and Fifth Element. Little outa my price range, though. ;)
    Guess I'll be sticking to MSP for a while.

Have fun!

3. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Hehehehe - I can't wait to see all the 2003 warez creeps that come to the Forum saying,
    "I just got Nuke ... is it any good?" ;)

It's sad .... but probably true. [face_plain]

4. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    The thing is...that compositing software is so advanced to me that I can't see what I'd ever use it for. LOL

I mean, half the functions are so specific and high-level that I can't see myself using them for a good many years.

M. Scott

5. Neumann

Neumann Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 5, 2002
    Compositing software? I'm in! Hahahahahahaha!

(bad joke, bad joke!)

6. Sage_Halcyon

Sage_Halcyon Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2002
    What's Compositing Software?

;)

Sage H.

7. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    LOL @ 'Tac :)

Pete

8. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    Very interesting stuff. Tac......very true....very true

9. BrentK7

BrentK7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 20, 2000
    Reply to Tac: I Know what you mean, a few days ago some newbee AIMed me and said, I just bought this program called Descrete Combustion and Smoke, do you know how to use them? Are they any good?

just thought i would post this for a little laugh.

10. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Smoke? How the hell did he get SMOKE? Isn't that only sold as a full WORKSTATION?

That's like downloading inferno*!

M. Scott

11. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    All these warez clowns can only be making life more difficult for themselves the more software they download. Look at the guys who come in here talking about how they've got Max, XSI, Lightwave, Maya, and all the rest. Sure they can brag to their mates about having $100,000 worth of software on their machine, but how many of them would actually do anything with all that anyway? They wouldn't know where to start.

Most probably haven't used 3d software before either. So diving straight into XSI or something like that would be pretty ridiculous. The best way is to work your way up. Start off with what you can afford. Learn as much as you can about it, and then when you explored all it's possibilities, move on up to something more advanced.

12. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Every software I've every learned, I just dove right into it. Even 3DS Max. Yet, I probably only know about 5% of Max's capability, but that's not the issue here. Ha ha. Anyway, where does it say how much Nuke costs?

13. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Click on the button that says 'Early Adopter Pricing' Pixel

I went to an Apple DVExpo a while ago and got all excited becuase I was going to see Shake in action. I even started to sow a few seeds with Nikki at the time (hey buying a programme like that takes a LOT of groundwork :) )

They fairly briefly showed what it did, and how it did it and one thing that really caught my eye was a motion tracking feature. This was a cool feature that I wanted to use.

But when I got home I checked out the good old AE manual and to my suprise discovered AE also had a motion tracking feature, but I just hadn't learned this yet, and I was left then looking at Shake and wondering just what was in it that made it so much better than AE, and worth a huge investment in both time (to learn another programme) and money (cos it is git expensive) I then realised that until I have totally outgrown After Effects, there really is no point looking at any other compositing package, since it can do everything I want/need it to do at the moment.

The same goes for this one. It is just way out of my price range, and until I outgrow AE, isn't worth even thinking about. Honestly I doubt it will make that much difference to my work, I'll still be compositing the same old dodgy stuff whether it's in AE, Shake or Nuke.

14. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Totally agree Daft. Unless you're doing film size motion picture work with many many layers, you're not going to need anything like that. I'll stick with Commotion Pro for it's compositing, motion tracking and stablisation features. Sure, it doesn't have the node based layout, but that's no great loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.