main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Grading???

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by _Vengeance_, Nov 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _Vengeance_

_Vengeance_ Jedi Master star 4

Jul 1, 2002
    Ok, now that I've watched LotR Uber Edition a couple times, and finished the special features and all, I've got a question.

What kind of programs are there for Digital grading like the one used in LotR that I could get and would work on a Mac?

Help is greatly appreciated!

2. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    i think they used bryce...

3. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Bryce, I don't think so.

Color grading refers to color correction done on a film so shots match. LOTR used 5D's Colossus but the company announced bankaruptcy not long ago. Colossus was acquired by Colorfront and is quite expensive.

Colossus at 5D
    Colossus at Colorfront

Any good compositing package should be able to handle most normal color grading needs, like After Effects, Combustion and Shake.

4. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Final Cut Pro has a built in Color Correction feature set.

From what I've heard, it's quite good.

5. MacGyver635

MacGyver635 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2002
    yeah yeah yeah, i know that they didnt use bryce. Ofcourse they didnt. But hey, how can i color correct with AE?

6. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    My fanfilm is being edited and color graded in Avid Xpress DV. The best software for the buck. A student version is $399.

7. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    The student version of Final Cut Pro 3.0 is only 300 bucks, which, I believe, beats out your "best for the buck" nomination.
    However, you must be engaged in secondary eductaion (i.e. college) for it to apply.

;-P

8. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    As far as I'm aware Pixel uses a PC, so FCP would be pretty useless to him. Either way, it's not what you use, but what you can do with what you use.

9. malducin

malducin Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Well why mention Bryce if you knew it wasn't used, and even if it was, it can't be used for grading. Weird.

Anyway, for grading in AE just use the color correcting tools. They are in the Effects menu grouped mostly in 3 folders.

10. Shawn PTH

Shawn PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 22, 2000
    Im pretty sure combustion 2 has color tools, but again very expensive programs

11. Jedi_Master_Vin

Jedi_Master_Vin Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 19, 2002
    Combustion does have colour correction tools, although, in my opinion, there are'nt dis-similar to after effects. There are both very good. You could also try photoshop to correct filmstrips, thus negating the need for extra software (if you already have photoshop)

12. Avene

Avene Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    Combustion is quite cheap at the moment. It's $3000 (Aud) until the end of December. I guess this would be about $1600 (USD)

13. andakin

Dec 8, 2000
    "As far as I'm aware Pixel uses a PC, so FCP would be pretty useless to him."

As far as I'm aware, the answers were both addressed to Vengeance, who asked for Mac solutions. I wasn't recommending anything for pixel, nor would I when he already has a program he likes.

14. citizen

citizen Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.