main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Llama - an FAQ of sorts

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ChrisHanel, Aug 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    I've gotten about 15 emails and IM's to my away box asking what the heck we've been up to, and a new DLR episode isn't due for a couple more weeks (as Steve won't be back until then), so i thought i'd take the spare few minutes to let everyone know what's going on in our neck of the woods-

ABE & BECCA - For those that were worried, Abe didn't lose his job when MCI Worldcom started their huge layoffs. Thanks for the mails, though. Abe and Becca been busy helping his parents in Wisconsin move, and also recently celebrated his birthday! Woo hoo! Currently, Becca's down at the SCA "Pensic" rennaissance fest for the week, so Abe's lonely. Send him a mail or something. :)

Abe & I (Chris) are also working on creating a professional improv troupe. In its very infant stages, but we're very excited.

JUSTIN - Justin's happily got his hands full with Corey, who's healthy and happy. Excalibur's still doing well, and he just got back from Gen Con with a handful of autographs to stick up on the wall, including Warwick Davis. I'm told we can expect to hear him back on the show next episode! (JOY!)

STEVE - Steve's expected to be back from the East Coast at the end of the month. I don't know much else as of right now, but i'm told we're going to be getting a VERY full report when he returns.

CHRIS - Obviously, i've been a bit busy... As many of you know, I started working for TFN as the Humor Editor, and i'm also working as much as possible on Second Strike - more on that as it develops. I'm also currently designing a new webpage for Digitalllama.com along with Anonymous_Jedi and trying to assist a bit with JediTAC's Fanfilm website currently in production. As for movies, the only project i'm involved in is Chris Janz Walker's movie, which i'm trying to help with a bit of script doctoring.

As of today, i gave my two weeks notice at Gateway because i'm going back to school full time after a hiatus of 3 years.

THE FUTURE OF DLP -

The short answer is, "We're not going anywhere, we're here to stay." The long version is a bit more complicated.

Q: "Are you guys going to make another movie?"

A: If you mean a sequel, no. We've got enough to do with the first one (A recompressed hi-res version, VHS tapes to send out, a DVD to take a stab at, and conventions to go to) that a 2nd one isn't feasible. The fact that we don't know how long Steve will be back home only cements that. Another project isn't out of the question, as i'm sure we'd all love to, but it definitely won't be on the scale of The Formula.

Q: What conventions are you going to be at?

A: The only convention i know for certain right now is DragonCon in Atlanta. I'll be down there along with John Hudgens (Fenn), and Nathan Butler's going to try to tag along. It's unconfirmed, but a showing of The Formula along with other fanfilms is in the works, and John & I are going to be taking some part in the festivities. I'm not going to have a booth, but watch for me, i'll have a backpack full of good copies of The Formula, both on CD and VHS. Maybe a couple T-shirts, too.

Q: With the TFN servers hurting, where can i get the movie?

No backup hosts, as of yet. I'm told Ausgamers said no to hosting a movie of our size, so we're still looking. Jeff (the hero that he is) is still shopping around for us. At the same time, we're also actively trying to find a host. If you have the ability to help us out, PLEASE contact either myself or Jeff. Once we release the re-compressed version, i don't believe this will be as much of a problem, but we'll still need a host. No estimates on what the file sizes will be. In an ideal world, IGN would get take off the download cap, but i doubt that's going to happen.

Q: Niobe Dean said yes to your proposal yet?

Sadly, no, but as of right now i'm taken by a girl here in the states. If they wanna fight over me, however, i'm sure it would be entertaining. Niobe's only allowed to use a saber if my girl gets one too.

Q: When's the next DLR/DLRPG?

A: I'm putting together a couple epis

2. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Chris: you rock!

That is all. :)

M. Scott

3. ObiWanSpicoli

ObiWanSpicoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    Thousand thank yous for the update Chris, I've been wondering what the hell has been going on with you guys.

4. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    That's all for now. ANy other questions, post 'em here.

Okay. I've been wanting to ask you this for a while, but I've been too lazy to send it to you via e-mail. I was expecting it to be an "Ask the Panel" question (I guess it could still be).

Anyway, the question is about a certain band called Ben Folds Five. I heard you using their music in the Formula trailer, and some of Ben's solo music in the DLR "musical interludes". I ask because I am a huge BFF fan, and I was wondering if you were at all, or you just used them because they sounded cool?

5. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Hmm, questions and comments...

DragonCon: Just to clarify on what Chris said, I won't be at DragonCon itself, but I now live in the area, so I'll be trying to catch up to the infamous CC Hanel while he's down here. I'm anxious to be able to have a face-to-face to toss around thoughts and plans on Second Strike. Every once in a while, we get a big boost from being able to spin ideas around on the phone, so I have to believe that a face-to-face will boost that even more.

If you happen to also be in the area for DragonCon, I'll be around. If you're interested in catching up (even if only for a few minutes, as I'll be in the middle of lesson plans for the high school classes I'm teaching right now), drop me an email at nbutler@fairburn.com and I'll get you my number (local call once you're in Atlanta metro and regional).

DLR: I'm excited as anyone to hear about the new DLR coming soon. I'm even more excited, though, to hear that Chris is heading back to school again. Maybe that's just the educator in me, but after three years, that takes a lot of spunk to get back in the game, and, for what it's worth, I'm proud of him for it.

Formula on VHS and CD at DragonCon: Chris, you better save one of those VHS copies for me, homey. And perhaps if there's time, and you have a chance to drop by the apartment, we can MST3K Prelude for a bit.

Chris in Atlanta: Another Second Strike person might be down here that weekend as well, if you're interested in meeting our Nadix Rovas voice actress. Katie may be coming down from Nashville to visit, since I've got Labor Day off from work.

And, I guess the only other thing is his "more on that as it develops" in regards to Second Strike: I continue to be impressed by what Chris shows me of the 2S work. If we can pull this off, it'll be in major part because two people (and me, I hope some might say, heh): Chris and Nick Long. I'm still waiting for the production aspect Chris *can't* put together.

Well, except his own lightsabers. :p

EDIT:

Chris, I just made an inquiry that could, if I can get it all worked out, help work out the hosting situation, but it may end up being more trouble than its worth, depending on what steps you're willing to go through in order to make sure you've got a reliable host for getting the film out to more viewers.

6. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Bren: I use BFF as i am a *HUGE* Ben Folds Five fan. I got to see them live in Minneapolis when they were on tour for their Unauthorized Biography album. Best live show i've ever seen. I almost cried when they broke up, but a couple years later, i think i've pulled myself together now. :)

Nathan: Thanks for the note on all that. Yes, i'm still working on Second Strike, and as soon as we can get stuff organized, Nick will be working full time on it too. I'm started to get more and more hyped about this project, i think you guys are going to be surprised at what we're dealing with here.

Keep the Q's coming...

-Chris

7. ObiWanSpicoli

ObiWanSpicoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    OKay I have a question Chris. Is she hot? :)

8. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I've seen her (pic). Yes she is.

I dunno if Chris would have been comfortable answering that, but I am. :D

M. Scott

9. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    I passed on Niobe Dean to date this girl. What does THAT tell you?

<big satisfied grin>

-Chris

10. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    Cool. I'm sorry to say that I've become a fan of theirs AFTER they broke up, so I never went to a concert or anything. The closest thing was when I saw an old SNL where they were the musical guest (this is on comedy central) I missed half of it, and only heard 'brick'. Well it's cool to finally meet another BFF fan (well, even if only on the internet).

11. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Here's a question:

Was this girl the reason you decided to go back to college? Or has that been on your agenda for awhile now?

12. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    I've always wanted to go back to school, just never had the solid opportunity. I think that Katie (that's her name BTW) isn't a direct reason for me to go, but it did kinda make me realize i needed to get off my butt and find some more direction in the real world.

I gave my two weeks notice at work and i'm working out school loans as we speak. College, here i come! :)

-Chris

13. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    Thanks for the update, C. Charles!

14. Master_Comyn

Master_Comyn Jedi Master star 4

Nov 17, 2000
    Good to hear you're back on your feet again. Though, I don't expect to hear Dr. Hanel for quite some time....

15. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Heh. I'm not going to medical school, i'm going for a communications degree right now with the hopes of transferring to a film school in the future.

-Chris

16. FlacoGrande

FlacoGrande Jedi Youngling

Apr 21, 2002
    Chris is the man! I must see this Katie you speak of. Bring her before me. Ya um, congrats on everything. Workin on a new site my self. Keep up the good work and I look forward to seeing I mean hearing 2nd strike.

May the Force be with you.

17. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    Ooohhhh.. I got a menchion! :)

Chris: I have been thinking about how I'm going to code it, and have a pretty good idea how its going to go, but I have to have the site itself to test it on first, but like I said that this solution won't need a database (although it'll be a bit slower loading then it would with a database.)

18. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    Heh, just what my little red-headed baby needs: a stalker. j/j

(One step closer to figuring out the Formula hosting problems.)

19. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    i would like to thank bren AND chris for finally helping me find something... i LOVE the song from the formula trailer, and haven't been able to find it... UNTIL bren mentioned ben folds five... so i did the ole' search and found it... strange name, but a GREAT song! thanks again, guys! :D

20. BrenDerlin

Apr 20, 2001
    welcome to the wonderful world of BFF! Let me recommend some mp3s to download, if I may. These are my personal faves:

Philosophy
    Narcolepsy
    Air
    Best Imitation of Myself

Those are just off the top of my head, though. Also, some of the stuff off of his solo album is pretty good.

21. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    My personal reccomendations: (besides the ones he mentioned, which are all on my list)

Army
    Don't Change your Plans
    Eddie Walker
    Underground (Live, not studio)
    Song for the Dumped

Go and buy!

-Chris

22. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Actually, believe it or not, it was about a year ago when I first discovered Ben Folds Five, through the Formula Teaser Trailer's "One Angry Dwarf" track.

Now I can't get enough of them! I have a ton of their songs, and I haven't come across a bad one yet. I bet you never knew that you're trailer was responsible for spawing another fan of BFF, did you Chris? ;)

Anyway, thanks for letting us have an update on what's going on in the world of Llamas! Look forward to the next DLR.

23. Little_Timmy

Little_Timmy Jedi Youngling

Aug 13, 2002
    Dear Chris,

It is me again, Timothy. I did not like the way I was made fun of on your show. Because of this, I won't grow up to be just like you and I am no longer inspired by "The Formula". The way you made fun of my squeaky voice was uncalled for. I am glad you aren't going to make a new film, you deserve it for the way you treated me! I hope you are happy Chris, you have lost a loyal fan, and me and my orphan friends will forever hold a grudge against you and the rest of the Digital Llama team.

Sincerely,
    Little Timmy

24. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Chris - When will the fan section of the Formula be available...?

Personnaly, I haven't had and still haven't got time to finish what I started (I hope you remember what I'm talking about :)), nor do I have the ressources now (just moved and I'm using this very old computer).

Just wanted to know more about this obscure, unknown to most people work, only waiting to be thrown out there on the Net...

25. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    Little_Timmy: Lord Homer, you're not fooling anyone. :) (God, i love being a mod.)

Jedibyknight: PM me.....

-Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.