main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Llama Radio #7: The Lost Episode

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Nathan PTH, May 14, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nathan PTH

Nathan PTH Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2000
    "Live from Chris Hanel's basement . . . "

It's the show we thought you would never hear.

Lemme explain:

As Chris already said on the DLR Episode Scrapped thread, the latest DLR Episode that we recorded (we being Chris, Abe, Becca, Steve, and I) fouled up. It was fun, it covered Broken Allegiance and Celebration II, it was amusing . . . and it was fouled up. The recording device didn't capture a word I said, which made it sound really, really strange.

In an effort to fix this, we had the options to either re-record the episode, or have me and my anal-retentive mind go back and re-record the missing parts. That was done, all 62 files worth.

Then Chris, kicking butt as he's wont to do, got the entire show re-edited, only to lose all of that work. As mentioned in the other thread, the show was a goner at that point.

Enter me.

As much as I liked doing the episode because I was the guest, I'm a huge fan of DLR. I've loved that show and shared it with friends around here since the first pre-TFN show, and I never get tired of listening to the back-episodes. I also know the type of frustration Chris and the DLP guys are under right now trying to get The Formula done. I have a great deal of sympathy and the utmost respect for the DLP/DLR guys.

So, with that in mind, I gave a go at re-editing the show. I knew where all 62 re-recorded parts had to go, so it was a matter of putting the puzzle together. The result, is Digital Llama Radio: Episode 7--"The Lost Episode."

It's not perfect, and you'll notice a few glaring problems, mainly a click at times when trying to put in files recorded in Total Recorder and an ending anomaly. I use a crappy shareware MP3 encoder, so after the show ends, you'll hear static and then the first couple of words from the show repeated. It's just a quirk of having a program that only encodes 55% or so of a file, which necessitates some crafty copying and pasting.

So, fresh from Quicktime 5 Pro . . .

http://www.starwarz.com/timeline/surprise.mp3

The Lost DLR Episode.

2. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    Way to go Nathan, I'm downloadign it right now.

3. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Awesome, a first listener.

I guess I should also mention that this is only a temporary URL. Chris wanted me to go ahead and post it, but we're hoping Azeem'll pick it up for the site sometime when he gets a chance.

4. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    I just love my adsl connection ta times like this

5. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
  6. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
    downloading

7. Nobody

Nobody Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2000
    Downloading now....hopefully.

-nobody

8. CalQdeX

CalQdeX Jedi Master star 2

Mar 29, 2001
    went from like 15k to 1k
    stop geting it people let me finish mine first

9. datoolman

datoolman Jedi Youngling star 3

May 13, 2001
    You are welcome to host it at FFFX. Just give me the word and I will get it uploaded and linked.

D

10. Nobody

Nobody Jedi Youngling star 1

May 4, 2000
    It's seems to have frozen at 9% at 3.74kb, it's says it's still downloading, but hasn't moved...weird.

-nobody

11. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    hey, same here!

Stupid, stupid...

12. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    I got it, while it wasn't downloading at 60k a sec, but i got it

13. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Finally downloaded, now converting to WAV so I can stick it on a CD, then out to do yardwork while laughing to my favorite radio show.

14. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    Nathan you need to go and re-dit it, from about 50 mins its, all you can hear is you typing and you starting to speak but that gets cut off.

Aside from that good show.

15. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    *cough*

It's not perfect, and you'll notice a few glaring problems, mainly a click at times when trying to put in files recorded in Total Recorder and an ending anomaly. I use a crappy shareware MP3 encoder, so after the show ends, you'll hear static and then the first couple of words from the show repeated.

16. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    Okay, so missed I missed that.

I dont' know how easy this is since i've never used Total recorder, couldn't use save it all the stuff you put together as a .wav file, then using another program, say, MusicMatch Jukebox, which is what I use convert it to mp.

I've used this program quite a few times and had no problem in converting them to mp3.

17. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Yeah, the only encoder I had at the time was a shareware one, which only worked in CD quality, then I got another shareware one that was better, but instead of cutting it directly in half, it cuts of at about 55% or so though it. So I had to copy and paste the entire thing onto the end of itself and fill in stuff in the middle so that when it cut off, it'd only get the static, but not a bunch of the show's beginning.

It didn't work out exactly, but at 3 a.m., I wasn't going to quibble over a couple of words at the end. I figure if it's gonna end up put up on TFN, someone'll fix that ending, likely Chris or the other DLP guys.

I just wanted it out there, as did Chris.

18. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    Just using a couple of programs I have on this machine, namely Creative WaveStudio, and MusicMatch Jukebox.

I convrted the MP3 file into a .wav format, then I opened the wav file in WaveStudio, and I just wanted to see if I could, take out the extra bit at the end, Nathan I hope you don't take offence by this.

Once I'd saved it I then I converted this back into the mp3 format, at the same rate, and as far as I can tell, aside from it beign about 2 mins shorter, there's no loss in quality.

Nathan, I hope I've not offended you in any way by doing this. It was not my intention.

I was just seeing if I coudl do this, never tried it before.

19. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Best.

Show.

Ever.

I loved it.

20. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Offended? Heck no. I'm glad someone was able to do it. Is the quality still the same?

If so, let me know, and try to get me a copy of the MP3. I'll replace the one I linked to with it, so that people can get that one instead of the bad ending one.

21. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
    I think hte quality is the same, I'll pm you the addy where you can download it when i've uploaded it, I don't want ot paste it here, cause I don't want to have my bandwidth alotment used up, not htat it gets used that much.

22. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Sounds good. It'll be hard for me to upload, so if it's cool, I'll probably dld it and have Azeem do so, then he can put it on the actual DLR page here at TFN.

23. DarkLordofSmith

Feb 27, 2001
  24. Nathan PTH

Mar 11, 2000
    Downloading it now. I've also sent the link to Azeem, so he can get it and get it on TFN ASAP.

Show thoughts anyone?

25. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.