main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Llama Radio #9 - RELEASED

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Digital_LlamaCH, Jul 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Bwa ha ha. I set a new record for getting the show edited quickly!

Digital Llama Radio #9

Topics: AOTC, The Formula, Essence of the Force, Niobe Dean's shopping habits, Chris's inability to stay off the phone, and Abe and Steve's methods for dealing with Chris during editing.

Due to Steve and Justin's absence, Becca and Josh Wasta (from Player's Guide and DLR#8) join us on this episode.

Enjoy!

-Chris

2. NickLong

NickLong Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    Easy Tiger, haven't listened to #8 yet! :p

anyway,

Nick "Shorty" Long

3. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Well...

Good show. A lot of fun listening to it, as always. Though I don't agree with Abe's feelings about the AOTC final duel... Good show anyway. :)

4. ewingsquadron

ewingsquadron Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 5, 2001
    Downloaded it last night, man!

//evil grin

The show was all right, and I'm glad to see your 180 spin on Essence of the Force. I was talking with you that night, and you were totally teed off. But that's ok.

Anyway, as far as your AotC segment....

(Here's where I start my gush / ranting)

Dude, you didn't even mention Obi-Wan! All that you guys talked about was, "Yeah, Yoda's cool the first time, but gets old after a while."

I *hated* Yoda fighting. Still cannot stand it. However, I've seen the movie 5 times, and the 4th viewing was honestly the best for the overall rest of the movie. I guess since I sort of kept up with spoilers, I could really pay attention and follow the plot. I totally loved Obi-Wan's story, how he goes on this detective adventure. What did you guys think about this?

Oh, and as for Boba Fett, I love this crazy kid! He's like the anti-Anakin. How can you not grin at scenes like that?

I don't know, and coming from a special effects CG background, the 3rd time I saw it, I went just to stare massive matte paintings and awesome fight scenes. I love them, and there's just so much to see that you don't even notice by your 3rd viewing.

Also, what were Steve's and Justin's reactions to the movie?

And I guess seeing it all 5 times in a digital theater kind of helps the experience too... 8-}

Oh well, sorry for stealing this thread of yours.

Oh, and just a comment on Wasta. I love DLPG! I only heard the first 2 episodes last week (are there more?). I havn't even played an RPG video game for crying out loud, and I find your show very easy to follow even for a someone as RPG illiterate as me. Cool to see this guy on DLR.

5. Digital_LlamaCH

Digital_LlamaCH Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2001
    Downloaded it last night, man! //evil grin

Nothing evil about that, I updated the page last night, i just wanted to wait until morning to put it on the forums. Hee hee... that just shows you check our page a lot more often than most.

The show was all right, and I'm glad to see your 180 spin on Essence of the Force. I was talking with you that night, and you were totally teed off. But that's ok.

I still don't know what drug i must have been on. I think it was just the non-fanfilm feel to it that irked me, or seomthing like that. But even that isn't very rational, considering the Formula is the antithesis of a fanfilm itself... <shrug> whatever it was that got me in such an uproar, i got out of it. I think i still have some evil rant on my computer that i wrote that night. I think i'll delete it, it just doesn't represent my feelings on the film anymore.

Dude, you didn't even mention Obi-Wan! All that you guys talked about was, "Yeah, Yoda's cool the first time, but gets old after a while."

There are so many good/bad things we could say about AOTC, but the discussion about Yoda seems to wrap it up best. Yeah, i like Obi-wan's detective-like method of things, but it almost seemed like a "We need something for Obi-Wan to do while Anikan and Padme do their thing" sub-plot. The fact that Obi-Wan's role in everything is the strongest part of the film is a bit sad, in my opinion.

Oh, and just a comment on Wasta. I love DLPG! I only heard the first 2 episodes last week (are there more?). I havn't even played an RPG video game for crying out loud, and I find your show very easy to follow even for a someone as RPG illiterate as me. Cool to see this guy on DLR.

At the risk of blowing up his ego to dangerous levels, i'll pass that on. :)

-Chris

6. EagleIFilms

EagleIFilms Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2001
    First of all:

EPISODE II IS THE BEST EVER ABE AND WASTA! SO YOU CAN...!!!

Anyway, other than that, great show.

EDIT: And I've stepped up my Formula watching, I'll catch Abe in about 15 hours, don't worry. :cool:

Btw, does watching it on multiple windows count? :D

7. ObiWanSpicoli

ObiWanSpicoli Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 9, 2001
    Kudos to another great show boys and girl, I know you're coming to the point where you actually have lives, but keep getting these shows out!

I know this isn't the forum, but a quick quick response to two points on your AOTC discussion:

Dooku Duels: I THINK the lightsaber duels were supposed to be the opposite of Ep.1, in that Dooku is supposed to be this all powerful jedi master who's gone to the dark side, so no matter how good you are, he's going to kick your ass without breaking a sweat, and I think they pulled that off pretty well, given the fact that Lee is 80 years old.

Prequel Characters: I think everybody can agree that the characters in the prequels are not as real or relatable, and the dialouge doesn't help. But they're not supposed to be, the prequel story deals with the fall of the jedi and rise of the empire, and the main characters are Jedi, who are not normal people and sure as hell don't act like it, they're like priests with lightsabers, so we can't relate to them. And Padme is a woman who was ruling a planet when she was 14, and she's now a senator at 24 who's never had a boyfriend. I think Lucas just kinda dug himself in a hole because of this, but that's the story. I would like to have some "real and flawed" characters like Han Solo in there, but I don't see how you can make room for them. Sorry if I'm rambling, I just wanted to say what I thought about it.

D

8. Carl_el_cee

Carl_el_cee Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 9, 2002
    Loved the show, Chris! The reference to GoldenEye about Alan was hilarious!

Also, that is SO true about the saber fights in AOTC, personally I like TPM bettah :D .
    I think it has more of a SW feel to it. And the dialogue was not as fake, unemotional and disastrous as in epII

LRAC

9. Ryan_W

Ryan_W VIP star 4 VIP

Aug 15, 2001
    Abe and I are truly on the same wavelength as far as the TPM and AOTC duels go.

10. DuelingLlamas

DuelingLlamas Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2001
    Hey, thanks for the support, Ryan.
    As always, I'm glad that something we said in DLR caused some controversy (it means you guys are actually listening out there :) ). As for the saber duel, I'm not arguing that Dooku is supposed to be a bad mama jama, what I'm saying is that the way the fight was filmed, I couldn't SEE him being a bad mama jama. All I could see were closeups of his face and a lightsaber blade swinging in front of him. At least in TPM, I could SEE that Darth Maul could kick the stuffing out of almost anyone because they showed me that in the footage of the fight scenes. With Dooku, they IMPLIED he was a superior fighter with lots of tight shots and swinging saber blades. My point was that, as I fight choreographer and a HUGE lightsaber duel fan, I felt cheated because I wanted to SEE a really bad ass fight scene, not IMAGINE one.

Just my two cents, take it for what it's worth :)

The Fuzzy Fighting Llama

11. ObiWanSpicoli

Aug 9, 2001
    Yeah, I totally agree with you that, as a huge swordfight fan, it was a bit of a letdown, but then again it wasn't as built up as it was in Ep.1. In Ep.1, when you first see Maul, you know that there's gonna be a tussel, but Dooku isn't seen until the last half hour of the movie. Plus, if that's the sacrifice that must be made to have Christopher Lee play the bad guy, then I'm all for it. Besides, the best duel is gonna be in Ep.3, so I'm content with that. :) BTW Abe, I just wanna point out that I am EXTREMELY envious of you, you have a beautiful and lovely wife and you're damn good with a sword. I love that.

12. filmmaker

filmmaker Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2002
    Chris, I probably know what got you upset over Essence of the Force. I spent the money to do film, used all of my favors from every professional I know, all to make a commercial!! You are correct, it didn't really have a Fanfilm flavor at all. However, if my original plan had worked, you would have seen the concept as a Superbowl commercial, not on TFN, and I'd be about a hundred grand richer right now. However, since Pepsi didn't bite, I'm eternally grateful to TFN for a place to showcase all of the hard work that we went through. Thanks for the review, and I'm glad you feel better about it now. Great work on The Formula, and keep the radio shows coming. They're good fun. I'm shooting Wild On for E! this week. I'll give your regards to Brooke Burke.

Pat Kerby

13. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    Great show, thef irst new episode I've uploaded to my brand new mp3 player.

Chris, I've had an idea for a ask the Panel theme, shall I Pm it to you?

14. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    Yeah, go for it, i'm sure we'll be open to any new ideas. CBS must be restraining themselves from killing us.

-Chris

15. McC

McC Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2001
    ROFL! "I am invincible...*BAMF*!" That was great!

What are the odds we can see some photos of you guys when you get your costumes together for Halloween?

Your thoughts on Lucas are right along with my friends' and mine. Let him tell the story, let him be hands-on executive producer-type, but don't let him write or direct! Let Steven (Spielberg) take the reins, and holy crap, that would be an awesome film. But no, Lucas has to be "Oh, this is my baby, oh!" *grunt*

Great show, though! :) The tail end was hilarious ;)

16. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    "My name is Timothy, I am an orphan..." [face_laugh]

17. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    Nice new screen name, Chris.

Was the old one not good enough for a Celeb Humour Writer like you?

18. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    I'm switching to the new one due to being on TFN Staff now, and it's not as awkward. Sad though, considering i had just earned my 4th star.... :_|

-Chris

19. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    Here's something for your new Ask the Panel theme. You're probably too old to have "Nick in the Afternoon" have any meaning for you, you would have been, what, 13, 14? Anyway, back in 1993 Nick had a summer line up of misc cartoons and such, all hosted by Stick Stickly, who was a popsicly stick. He would read letters from kids that supposedly wrote to him. Anyway, he had a stupid little jingle that was like;

Write me
    Stick Stickly
    PO Box 963,

New York City
    New York State

And that folks, just proves the extent of the brainwashing of the Nickleodeon Network, by the fact that I can still remember that.

Anyway, you could have your own versino of this, like:

Write to me
    I'm CC
    That's Tom Servo without the E

We'll read your letters
    On the air
    and might act like we care

I'm sure that you could come up with far more hillarious verses, but still, you get the point. It's a little more personal then "We've got letters" anyway. . . ;)

20. ChrisHanel

Jul 8, 2002
    OMG.... my youth just came out of nowhere and smacked me in the face with that little trip down memory lane. If anyone can remember the tune to that, i'd definitely take a look at doing that if it sounds good. But i CANT REMEMBER THE SONG. Help!

-Chris

21. ewingsquadron

Mar 5, 2001
    I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'll sing out the tune for you in an MP3 if you really want me to. . .

22. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    Abe-

You're right about choreography. I would have wanted to see it like we were able to in TPM. And I felt "cheated" at first with the Yoda/Dooku duel because Yoda does more twirling and swinging than real fighting (IMHO).

But the thing that made me appreciate the Dooku/Anakin duel was those close-ups where the blue and red lights are cast on their faces. Add to that the very cool music they added (which isn't on the AOTC soundtrack :_|), and you get a little sequence I loved.
    And about the Dooku/Obi-Wan duel... Well, Obi-Wan is my favorite character, so I liked seeing him stopping the lighting with his saber. But yeah, the moves were a bit disappointing.

And to whoever said "we'll have the best duel in Ep.III". I think, but that's just me and we'll find out in 2005, that it will be a very good duel indeed, but from an emotionnal point of view. It can't be from a choreographical (is that a word ?) point of view. They have to make it less and less impressive as they go towards Ep. IV for continuity.
    But everyone knows that. :)

23. EagleIFilms

Apr 6, 2001
    I can't believe I'm doing this, but I'll sing out the tune for you in an MP3 if you really want me to. . .

Chris...PLAY THE MP3 ON THE SHOW!!! :D

24. ObiWanSpicoli

Aug 9, 2001
    I agree that emotionally, the Ep.3 duel should be really good, but visually as well. I did read a qoute from either Ewan or Hayden stating they want their duel to be the best ever and they plan on training months and months in advance. Of course this is all just speculation, we won't find out for 3 YEARS!

Still no word on WHEN the high resolution version of The Formula will be released Chris? Just curious.

25. McC

McC Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 30, 2001
    If I may go slightly OT for a moment, Chris -- what do you, Abe, and Wasta think about the current SWRPG as compared with the WEG SWRPG? Which one do you guys prefer and why? (sorry, listening to DLPG for the first time)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.