main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Projectors

Discussion in 'Archive: Atlanta, GA' started by Darth_Melkor, May 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Melkor

Darth_Melkor Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2002
    I'm moving to Atlanta two days after the movie comes out and I was wondering if Atlanta has any theatres with digital projectors. My hometown of Memphis got some just for AOTC.

2. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Hi Darth_Melkor and welcome to the Atlanta list. Sadly, the ATL does not have digital projectors yet. I would definitely see AOTC in Memphis while you can.

3. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Jace is right, there are currently no digital projectors in the Atlanta area. You'd think at least one theater would have them, but no such luck. :(

On the bright side, we do have several nice "regular" projection theaters.

4. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    At least you have a fanforce chapter. :( Memphis has nothing.

5. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Then ACTIVATE, man! Get a band of rebels together! There's a war on, you know.... :D

6. RosieWook

RosieWook Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 5, 2000
    I know we flirted briefly with a campaign of some sort in the Atlanta area.

I saw it in digital while I was in Vegas and it's fantastic! The theater manager said that even films converted to digital are 100 times better quality than in your standard theater.

He also said he sells out practically every show, so he doesn't have to change ticket prices.

We really need to see who we can convince.

7. Minacia_Brightstar

Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling star 5

May 23, 2001
    Perhaps we should talk to Van Miller at Regal. Of course he would have to convince his corporate people that a digital projector would be a wise investement, which means we would need to have information available to prove that it would indeed be a money maker for them.

However, I'm not sure if approaching a large theater chain would be a good idea or not.

8. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Well, the large chains are probably the only ones with any sort of capitol to invest. That's the only thing.

And I suspect that even the Regal24 would have to have a bit of a refit. I don't believe they're even wired for THX, are they?

Maybe Van could explain what the situation is in the area and give us some ideas on how to help?

9. Technoviper

Technoviper Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    As an ex-theatre manager, I can assure you that a smaller theatre with the money to invest will do it... as long as they feel that there will be a (large) market for it. And if they can boast being the only digital theatre in the city? state? Then so much the better.

10. RosieWook

Dec 5, 2000
    Hmm...so do you know the theater scene in this town? Which theater would be the best to approach?

11. tinkerclay

tinkerclay Jedi Youngling

May 24, 2002
    I was casually telling my cousin I was going to see ep II digitally projected in NYC in a few weeks and he said a theater near his house in Roswell GA showed it digitally opening weekend (and perhaps still is). He seemed to know what he was talking about. Have you guys heard about this? I just searched for info on it and couldn't find any.

12. tinkerclay

May 24, 2002
    Startime Cinema
    608 Holcomb Bridge Rd.
    Roswell, GA 30076

770-993-5411

I personally have not called but my cousin says he just did and the confirmed they are showing it digitally.

I am going to call and see a show tomorrow to confirm. Why aren't they advertising this????

13. Jedireject

Jedireject Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 2, 2001
    I believe they think he is asking about digital sound. There are no digital theatres in Georgia at this time. The closest is in Orlando.

14. tinkerclay

May 24, 2002
    I agree that is certainly a possibility. I called up there and spoke with 2 people. One didn't know what I was talking about but the second said it is in fact digital projection - but he didn't see it as a big deal. (Plus my cousin said it looked way better than the regular version he saw the day before).
    However it's not listed on any sites as being one of the DLP theaters in the country (but they are adding them pretty fast now). Hopefully we can get some real confirmation soon.

15. jeditigger

jeditigger Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2002

The official line on the closest DLP theater to Atlanta is the Memphis ones, but not by much. I believe that mapquest has one @ 60 mi. closer than the Orlando one. Of course, I'm sure that there's a lot more post-movie stuff to do in Orlando. (Sorry Memphisians, love your town, but them's the breaks...).

16. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Having just spent a week in Memphis for work, I can say I had more fun there than the entire 2 years that I lived in Orlando. Memphis could be just as much of a good time IMHO. No way that Mickey can beat out Elvis and Isaac Hayes.

17. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Hehe. Orlando ain't got nothing on Memphis. :)

I admit, Memphis isn't that amazing of a city, and it does have some pretty bad spots. But its never dull for me, and we're growing a lot right now with the new NBA team, the Heavyweight Campionship Fight coming up, and the entire revision of Peabody Place. And the suburbs are great too. I love the landscape of this part of the country.

Not that Atlanta is bad, I wouldn't mind living there. It even reminds me a lot of Memphis, just a bit brighter and bigger. Ohh well.

We really need a Fan Force chapter though. I'll see what I can do over the summer to get some people together and try and work something out.

18. tinkerclay

May 24, 2002
    Sorry for getting everyone's hopes up about a digital theater in Atlanta. Now that the dust has cleared it seems that my cousin saw the first running of a print in a nice theater and it looked so much better than the print he had seen the day before he thought it was digital. When he and I called the theater several people confirmed it was. They evidently didn't know we meant digital "projection" though and their projectionist finally confirmed it was film.

I did get to see it digitally projected in NYC this weekend and it makes me want a digital theater here even more. The image is so steady and clear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.