main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canada Digital Theaters Now!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Darion_Blade, May 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darion_Blade

Darion_Blade Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 25, 2001
    This will probably get me kicked off these boards forever, but I think it is important for all movie fans to know.
    I respect these boards and love the interaction, but I want to get word out about Digital Projection and this is the only way I know how to do it. So I hope you can forgive me. If not at least read what I have to say?Thanks in advance.

Digital Projectors must become realty in every major theater. I am with an online talk show you may have heard of or you may have not. I wont even post a link to here; anyway we were at Celebration 2, and saw for the first time a Digital Projection of some Episode II footage. It brought me to tears. I have been a Star Wars fan my entire life. And never have I felt so part of the universe as I did there.
    I realized that what Rick said we as fans had to do. I am sure you have seen some posts about talking to your local theaters and writing letters and such. Well, I hope you do all these things. But I humbly request that you do one more thing for all movie fans out there, at very least if you don?t have the time to let your theaters know, or you don?t have time to write a letter, well I understand. We have an online petition you can sign and we will continue to send it out to all major theater chains until everyone can see all our favorite movies in digital.
    I know this kind of mass post is looked on badly; it took me a while to come to this decision to post these up. Maybe, I will get banned and the moderators will take them all down. I hope not I hope you all check out http://da.radioevolution.com, which lists a few of the benefits of this incredible technology. Also it will allow you to sign the petition.
    Once again if I am banned from these boards, then it has been a pleasure getting to know the few of you that I have been able to virtually talk to.
    Thank you for taking the time to read this, and I hope you consider how important it is to all of us!
    Darion Blade

2. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Well it won't get you kicked off the montreal boards, at least.

I totally agree with you Darion,

I saw a huge difference between what I saw two weeks ago and what I'll be going back to see this week-end.

we need digital.

3. YoungJediNiagara

YoungJediNiagara RSA Emeritus FF Canada star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 23, 2001
    Don't be to sure about not getting banned. The other "powers that be" are very upset that you posted (or spammed) in almost every forum. You knew the rules and still broke them, not smart.

I left the Canada General thread open for discussion, but I deleted the others.

4. sabre81

sabre81 Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 7, 2001
    Dude, I think we are approaching the wrong people about digital projection. We need to take issue with the movie makers and the standard setters. If it becomes a little more mainstream to produce movies in the digital format it would make it much more attractive for the exhibitors to show the movies digitally. But, the first thing that needs to be done is agree on a North American standard for digital projection, so the format won't change 20 times in the next 5 years. Once this happens, the exhibitors might sink some money into upgrading their theatres for digital projection. Why would anyone invest $100,000 per screen in equipment which may be obsolete a year down the road.

The camera Lucas used to shoot AotC was far superior to it's predecessors but there is still much improvement needed for digital to out perform film. When looking at dark scenes in AotC, there is quite a bit of graininess associated with the digital format. If you look at "Ocean's Eleven", the entire film looks grainy. It was shot digitally with a camera not as good as Lucas'. So, there has been improvement but there is still much work to be done.

I have confidence that when EP3 comes out three years from now, digital presentations will dominate it's release.

5. Uilmuteiz

Uilmuteiz RSA Emeritus star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    Sabre, the grains in the pictures are results of compression, due to the fact that somewhy pixels can't set themselves in between gray or black makes the grains appear on the screen.

And as far as the people we're aiming at, it's simple, if the cinemas have the digital projectors, more movie will be shoot in digital, if we go your way, it would create a controversy that would lead Hollywood to yet another war. They don't need that and we don't either.

The digital experience is something incredible, and just to see Star Wars in Digital, I'll be going to Toronto this summer.(which is a 7 hour drive from Montreal)

I just wish we had digital projectors up here in montreal, that way it would made things easier.

The only thing that should be coming to an agreement soon, is that instead of using a satellite feed, ditributors uses DVD, or CDR to shoe the movie. Why, so that way movie theaters can still control their showing time.

If you ask me, there should only be one thing of each, one theater company, one grocery store company, and so on and so on, but it's sadly not the case. :(

6. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Seen it twice in digital now.

Its worth the trip.

7. Marianne_Solav

Marianne_Solav Jedi Master star 2

Nov 12, 2001
    [out of topic]
    'If you ask me, there should only be one thing of each, one theater company, one grocery store company, and so on and so on, but it's sadly not the case.'

With no competitors, the company would hike the prices. There has to be some choices available for the costumer. 'La loi de l'offre et de la demande' (whatever is it called in english ?), it regulates the market, usually. It's all about balance. Though it's silly to see 3 supermarkets facing each other across a street...
    [/out of topic]

I'll try to see it in digital, but nothing beats the DVD! In the theater, all I want to do is ask the projector guy to rewind the movie because I want to see something I missed in the background! I hope it will really come out soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.