main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Digital Version Will be Different to Film Version!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by JediAJ, Mar 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grievous

Grievous Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 23, 2003
    Let's be honest, the digital "version" of AOTC was basically NOT different at all.

True... :) I think it's like star wars in 3D, it's not really 3d.

2. Rassick

Rassick Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 26, 2004
    Actually, another change in the digital version of AOTC was that right before Mace cut Jango's head off, you could see little spurts of flame and sparks coming off of his jetpack, indicating that it was badly damaged from being trampled by the Reek. In the regular film version there were no little sparks or anything, which probably would make you think "Why the hell doesn't Jango just fly away?"

3. DarthGoldblum

DarthGoldblum Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    OK - So the film version of ROTS is due Fri April 15th.

The digital version is due by Fri May 6th (estimate)

That is an extra 21 days.

As for the visual FX - McCallum said in the last Insider magazine "I estimate we'll be done in early April."

If you watch the sound doc on the AOTC DVD you can see that the final mix for AOTC started on Monday March 4th. It says "FINAL MIX & FIXES START." Ben Burtt also said that "The final mix lasts for about a month on a Stars Wars film...sometimes only completing a few minutes a day."

I think the Final Mix for ROTS started a few weeks ago. I bet all of the visuals will be done by this Friday April 1st.

No telling what Lucas will change/modify in those 21 days for the digital version. I bet it will be minor sound changes, and a possible CG visual (or more) NOTHING of major consequence.

In any case, they are working like hell for the next few weeks at the Ranch!!!

4. clone_soldier

clone_soldier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2005
    wha...? i don't get it...so digital just means they play it through a computer or a dvd and digital projector or something in your standard theatres?

i though they had whole cinema complexes dedicated to digital movies. er...i'm aussie and we have nuthing of the sorts here ('cept imaxes) so i just don't get it!

5. DukeNukem

DukeNukem Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2004
    DarthSapient posted on 3/28/05 9:12am
    Tell me where you live and I'll tell you. If I can do it, you can do it. A quick Google search can tell you all digital theaters in your state. There aren't many in each state.
    [hr][/blockquote] Know any in London?

6. brooklynapprentice

brooklynapprentice Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2004
    That's more or less correct,Clone Soldier. However, the distribution system is different, and a film print doesn't have to be made, so they can push the deadline to get the film out further.

A movie, shot digitally like this, and projected digitally -- looks SPECTACULAR, I have to say. If you're going to shoot on film, then by all means project traditionally. But if you're gonna shoot digitally -- the results will look much better if the result isn't transfered back to film.

7. clone_soldier

clone_soldier Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 2, 2005
    awesome thanks, brooklynapprentice :)

i want to see it in digital :(

8. Master_Bumpy

Master_Bumpy Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 9, 2001
    I'm not sure how often this is updated, but you can search here for a DLP theater near you.

http://www.dlp.com/dlp_cinema/dlp_cinema_theater_search.asp

9. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    There was barely any difference between the digital and film versions. Digital allows Lucas to go up to the last minute. The version released on DVD will be the digital one, just as with AOTC.

10. Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon

Dark-Sith_ofthe_Moon Jedi Master star 3

Oct 18, 2004
    I'm not even worried about it.....

11. overmydeadbody

overmydeadbody Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 19, 2004
    Maybe the digital version will have more violence? I think it would be funny if they cut Qui-Gon from the film version and inserted him in the digital cut, just to make fans want to see it.

12. PowerBook86

PowerBook86 Jedi Youngling

Oct 14, 2004
    Yay! Thanks for the link, now I know that there is a digital theater near me :) Thanks a lot for posting that link. I don't care how minior the changes are but If I pay the moeny to see the movie I want to see it the best way possible

:D

13. BacaraBanzai

BacaraBanzai Jedi Youngling

Mar 13, 2005
    New article with Lucas and Cameron on the subject of digital projection theaters. Seems that Ireland is going all out. Here

14. DarthScully

DarthScully Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2001
    so long as they dont cut any important scenes out of the film version.

15. DJ_RMC

DJ_RMC Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 30, 2005
    Oh well I'll probably see both version so it doesn't really matter to me one bit.

16. Super_Wookiee

Super_Wookiee Jedi Youngling

Mar 15, 2005
    There is a digital theater in the suburbs around here, so I think I can make it out there to see ROTS. Who cares if it's different - the price isn't and it's probably the best way to see it.

17. darthmalorkus

darthmalorkus Jedi Youngling

Nov 16, 2001
    I think I saw AOTC at a digital theater on my fourth viewing, whicbh was only about 48 hours after the first viewing, and the only change I noticed was Anakin's hand in the wedding scene.

The theater closest to me only had digital in one room last time I looked, and I'm sure it'll be a zoo opening night (very crowded area). I'll just check it out the week after opening to see if there are any differences.

18. Darth Mischievous

Darth Mischievous Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 12, 1999
    It's complete tripe that GL releases two versions of the film in theaters. For those of us not fortuante enough to live near any digital theaters, it's kind of a rip-off. The end scene added to AOTC was a portent of things to come, where Padme holds on to the hope that machine that was the man still has good in him.

The guy had 3 YEARS to finish it. I mean come on.

Don't short-change a great many of your fans like this!

19. JediRandy

JediRandy Jedi Youngling star 4

Aug 21, 2002
    It's complete tripe that GL releases two versions of the film in theaters.

For those of us not fortuante enough to live near any digital theaters, it's kind of a rip-off.

The guy had 3 YEARS to finish it. I mean come on.

Don't short-change a great many of your fans like this!

Don't get your knickers in a bunch... it's no big deal... The digital version of AOTC was a a shot of Anakin's gold hand.... it's no biggie.

20. battlewars

battlewars Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    film rules!!

21. Mos_Eisley

Mos_Eisley Jedi Youngling star 3

May 23, 2004
    Besides the golden hand, the confession scene was extended in the digital version.

The differences will be quite subtle and I can wait for the DVD and I'll have a little bonus to look forward to when I watch it again in November.

22. djslybri

djslybri Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 3, 2005
    And, the IMAX version of AOTC chopped out a lot of crap. Thankfully, that stupid "If we don't believe in democracy..." crap line was cut.

23. CompletedCircle

CompletedCircle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
    can someone list the changes for the AOTC digital version as well as the omits of the IMAX version? please....???

24. CompletedCircle

CompletedCircle Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 10, 2005
  25. DarthGoldblum

DarthGoldblum Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 28, 2002
    So will digital theaters be the preferred viewing places for the midnight show on the 18th?

That's where I'm going to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.