main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Toronto * Dinner, April 12 2003 - photos up *

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by TheGrandePoobah, Apr 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    After the recent lack of activity, it's about time we got together. With no surefire movies for a movienight, and public opinion leaning towards a social gathering, I propose the following:

A group dinner, Saturday, April 12th, at The Pickle Barrel, in the plaza at Yonge and Eglinton. It's a decent place, we know they can handle a largeish group unannounced, and it's a fairly central location. If anyone has a better suggestion for a restaurant in the area, I'm willing to hear it. After dinner, we can breakup as we will... some could catch a movie at the SilverCity, some could pop into Indigo for some book shopping, some could continue to a nearby coffee shop or elsewhere. Hopefully dinner won't be the end of the evening, but only the beginning.

The Plan(tm):
    Meet at 4:30, Saturday April 12th, in the mall at Yonge and Eglinton (North-East corner) in the corridor between the entrance to Pickle Barrel and the Toys R Us. While everyone gathers we can stop into TRU and drool over the newest action figs or hunt some new lego sets.

Hopefully we'll be seated for dinner by around 5:30.

After dinner we scatter in the wind, or we could head en-masse to Tim Hortons, or... Only time will tell.

EDIT: Pictures now up, see my last post.

2. DARTH2-D2

DARTH2-D2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2002
    this date is my day off, Id love to meet everyone there. only problems are (a) money, but i can work on that hopefully, its been too long since I seen the gang, (b) I promised Wil Id hang with him at his new digs, but I will talk to him and see, if we can do that after or before. -D

3. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Count me in!

The money is not going to be a problem for me (for a change) because I'm either going to be recently unemployed with a final paycheck in the works or recently hired with a paycheck in the works.

Sabrina
    the soon-to-be mercifully freelancing (unemployed) again!

4. sw-starwarsfreakness

sw-starwarsfreakness Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 14, 2003

*smiles happily* I can make it. No questions asked.

5. Nyla

Nyla Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 18, 2002
    I can't make it. Gotta work on Saturday nights. And the money is low right now. :(

6. The_Lady_THX

The_Lady_THX Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2003
    Sorry dudes, can't make it, Working till 4:30 and the only other bus leaving Grimsby is at 6:45 which doesn't get in til 8 which sucks cause the last bus leaves at 11:15 so its a big no go.

Sorry! See you soon tho!

Princess Milo

7. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I'm not in Toronto, sorry! But I'm looking forward to doing something when I get back.

8. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    Not really problems but concerns about this meet and greet.

1) location of meeting, TRU : I have found out in several stores they dont like brousers, especially ones who dont buy, we mob it and most dont buy, not liked by them.

2) Pickle barrel : hate them, bad food at cut throut prices, and they rush you thru the decision making, and like you to leave right after eating, maybe its just me, plus I got food poisoning at the last one I ate at.

Oh well dosent mean I wont go, still working on that.

9. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003
    Noted, the TRU you're talking about, was there not long ago. They have NOTHING. I was luckly to see some new items. And horribly over priced. They made Silver Snail look like a bargin!

10. THEREALSHMII

THEREALSHMII Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Don't know the store, but I'm in.

11. TragicLad

TragicLad Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    We've never had a problem at the TRU before. In fact, quite often we end up in the maternity section to take advantage of the comfy chairs.

Other times we descend en mass to the Indigo where we have a very special 'Tragic bookreading'. Oh the fools who put romance beside Sci-Fi had no idea...

Pickle Barrel ain't bad as food goes - but agreed that the service ain't the greatest. At least I know I can get my monster sized milkshake there.
    What's that?
    It's a pint!
    They come in pints?!

12. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    *memories of Tragic's book reading*
    Oh gosh :)
    For what it's worth, I actually really like Pickle Barrel a lot. There is one right next to my house in Thornhil and we always went there for school events.

13. Kenobi2

Kenobi2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Sorry,

I'll be entertaining some guests this weekend.

Next time!

14. Darth_Digital

Darth_Digital Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2001
    Working that day.

Oh gosh gee golly wilikers....

*Snaps fingers in disapointment*

:(

15. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    Well not on the 12th, but this Thursday the 10th it looks like I'll be popping up there.

Going to grab a bus, do some shopping (definitely Queen Street), and meet some friends for food.

16. sw-starwarsfreakness

Jan 14, 2003
    :eek: Wil! You arn't coming! How dare you! Me and Duck are coming down!.. at least that's what he told me.

17. Sabrina001

Sabrina001 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I have two Pickel Barrels not far from me here in Thronhill and I have never caught food poisioning at either of them. Yes their food is slightly on the bland side, and the staff are more than a little surly, but I eat at the Pickel Barrel at least once a month while helping my grandmother run her errands and I've always come away with my health intact (thus far). The prices are what I would call average (about $7 for your typical burger n'fries dish), and the portions usually satisfy me. All the same, if anyone can suggest another restaurant within the same price range I am willing to try something new.

Sabrina

18. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    strange everyone has different opinions of the place then I do, Hmmm... Well I dont know but Im going anyways, just wish it was something like last time, pizza pizza, we could move around and stuff

19. phalstar

phalstar Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 14, 2002
    Hrmmm, checking my busy schedule of video games, and more video games, it looks like it'll be hard fitting this in... ;) But I'm sure I'll make it... will be great to see everyone again.

20. Cristalia

Cristalia Jedi Youngling star 3

May 15, 2000
    Eep. Money's tight of late. I'm not sure about this.

But I shall try. :)

~L

21. DARTH2-D2

Feb 9, 2002
    Money update, : GST is in, yeaaaaa

so that makes it a sure thing, im thinkin

22. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    If thats the Pickle Barrel near the bus station then its the one I've been too....yum yum.

Best Mushroom swiss and cheesecake ever :)

23. Elewyn

Elewyn Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2002

THIS saturday? i think thats a no can do for my part as money is a little tight atm because of time off for exams.

i really wish i was going though...quesadilas..mmmmmmmmmm...

great. now you guys got me all hungry :p

24. EBCorp4

EBCorp4 Jedi Youngling

Apr 8, 2003
    I'm in. Can't make it until 5:30 so might meet youse at the rsetaurant.

When's Johnny English coming out?

25. TheGrandePoobah

TheGrandePoobah Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Looks like a mixed turnout... I was expecting as much because of exams and so forth. I'll miss those of you that can't make it, but will see you in May I'm sure. Looking forward to getting together with you guys that can make it.

Eric, I've been wondering about Johnny English too, Yahoo says July 18th.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.