main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Padu, KY Diorama Thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by pacervader, Feb 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    Ok, I've been talking to LordINVAR a bit and want to let out a concern.

From what I see right now, this event is great, but really geared to those of us who have done this sort of thing before. I'm not sure we're causing any great desire for others of the group who have either never done diorama building before, are too new to it, or think it would be way to complicated or simply not fun. Rubish, I say!

I suggest a little bit of thought into this area. Of course, I could be wrong, everyone may be thinking straight on this, but I can't tell in the forums. But it's been a whopper of a week and I may not be exactly thinking straight.

Looks like all supplies, prints and stuff will be taken care of, but what thought and consideration have been given to make it a want-to-do thing for all members of the fanforce? We have our core group but thinking of those who may be on the fringe is what will make us a success. And will get those others out there that may be hearing about us, like the mysterious Murray sixty, more inclined to show their heads, at least in the forum.

I mean there's always going to be things not all members will be inclined to take part in but there is usually a way to make it so everyone can be involved. I may be putting way too much concern on this but I'm sure we're all wanting as many people as we can get involved in this.

Maybe we can have a couple of dioramas, or at least pictures of them, made up before hand and have plans and materials for at least as many people as show interest in the forums to duplicate those dioramas. I have printouts and could make some plans for that Palitoy Death Star that may be used for this. Or do we just all want to do this one sooner or later? Or maybe we can have a blank Tatooine landscape or something with pictures of different Tatooine scenes with materials to possibly make them, so that there is one big scene for people who want to work on it together. That would be cool when it was done.

I know most of us want to do our own thing, and if you're like me, you still don't know what that is or how to achieve it. And there may be some of the core group that would really rather help others with this event, especially those less familiar with this fun craft that ties in so well to Star Wars. I don't want to turn members away because this seems more like a "hobbyist" event instead of yet another reason to play with star wars figures.

Of course, we're all going to be there to help each other and have fun. I just hope we're making it easy for those less inclined to come around that day and do it along with us. Hopefully this is seen as a concern to get everyone involved instead of any negativity on the event. The event will be fine without all of this thought, but I figured I'd toot my horn a bit.

Anyway, other than that, here are some tips from the diorama website that may help.

-Multiple tables set up with supplies.
    -There was a separate table set up and protected for the Hot Glue gun.
    -Original dioramas were set up on display as the selection for those attending to choose to construct. (maybe this only if we cater to those less experienced as I've talked about)
    -And I quote "Cutting up the Printed Decals and figuring out where top put them- this is one area I wish I had had more time to prepare. I would have been less stressed had there been blueprints and printed, catalogue style, step by step booklets to help out." (not sure if that needs to be done at all, but is good input if, again, we cater to the newbies.)

So, no, I don't know what I want to do yet. But if it's what I'm thinking, I'm going to need help myself, and it's not going to be small.

I may have wasted forum space with my concerns, so just send the Emperor's Hand after me if I'm off base here. Wait, what level of canon is that?

2. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    A valid point. Per Sithmongers suggestion we will have a sign up sheet at the part next Saturday. You can put what you will be building and what you need for it. Also, if any of you have questions about dioramas you can ask them. You can also email me at any time with questions. Keep in mind, even if you have no desire to build a diorama please come anyway. It will be a great chance to hang out, so even if you can't be there the entire day stop by for a little bit. Also, If you want to work on something else instead of a diorama, thats fine to. I personally have decided not to do a diorama that day and instead will be building a Gonk (not Goink) droid. We may also have the star destroyer there for work, so there will be plenty of things to participate in or just watch. pv

3. SithMonger

SithMonger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 1, 2005
    ooooooh - a Droid. I may have to get in on that.

4. TKYTROOPER

TKYTROOPER Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 18, 2005
    Excellent! The Death Star printouts from C3 printed out at 43% are perfect for 25mm scale. This is the scale of the s.w. minis. As well has helping on the building of pv's "Goink" (if its not done by then lol) I will be working on modular death star sets on the miniatures scale. I have also located a table top paper cutter I will bring. Should give us nice straight cuts and I hate scissors. I think pv is doing some supply shopping this week and looking at having a meeting at the library before diorama day. He was checking on when we could get he room so we could iron out any details and have a fun day of building on the 18th.

5. ice1138

ice1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 15, 2005
    Hey, if anyone wants figure stands for their dioramas, I just ordered some a few minutes ago from here.

http://www.smalljoes.com/supplies_stands.shtml

6. pacervader

pacervader Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 27, 2005
    Ok, I have all the supplies we need except for exacto knives. I have one but no blades, I will try and pick up blades this week but if anyone has exacto knife holders, please bring them. Also, like I said before, if there is a certain tool or supply you want or need and you have it please bring it along. It should be a fun day, looking forward to it.----Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.