main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Diplomatic Firestorm

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Skywalker8921, Jun 24, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I keep wanting to post pictures of Moose and Squirrel but then I remember it's a Senate thread...

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Pretty sure Snowden's codename with the Chinese security forces was MOOSE, and it was SQUIRREL with the GRU in Russia.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I just love how everyone is in a panic that the government is reading their private messages on facebook. Nobody in the government is collecting your n00ds. This whole thing is hysteria-filled paranoia. Like KW said, this stuff has been known for YEARS (and is available in public, non-classified sources, to boot!). It's one thing to disagree with what's actually part of the policy (FISA courts etc) and it's another thing to rant and rave about things that have no resemblance to reality.

Snowden is a narcissist and glory hound who decided that He Knows Best and knowingly violated the conditions of his employment, while the Guardian is just milking this for all its worth. It's only one level above gossip about the Cardassians*.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    [​IMG]

Why, I take offense to that notion...

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    To me, the hospital incident with John Ashcroft was a far bigger deal than Snowden. John Ashcroft was willing to and intending to resign over what we now know as part of the surveillance program. He was not some kind of liberal icon, and in fact was and no doubt still is a very conservative man. I wish more attention was paid to this, both then and now (and particularly now). We didn't know the specifics, but I'd like to think anyone with an IQ above room temperature understood that it wasn't over whether to clothe naked statues.

6. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    ^ Your Typical American Reply.

Freely translated:
    I just love how we're spying on a billion innocent people.
    I just love how we're bypassing our own justice system.
    I just love how we're not seeing the implications, and think people only get wound up because the government is reading their Facebook. I just love reductionism.

Giving tens of thousands of people access to the private communication of anybody who uses the internet?

[​IMG]

Anyway, yeah, I've already scratched "home of the brave"; I think we can all agree that 'land of the free' is not applicable anymore, either.

Arawn_Fenn and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ^ Typical leftist response, assuming that you can just think with your heart and not your head.

Watto please advise what measures, factoring in how external agencies have typically penetrated the west, you would employ to manage the security and intelligence gathering of a state.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I know I've made this comment to you before, but just don't use US-based websites.

Stay off of Google, Bing, Facebook, etc. Don't use Verizon, ATT, T-Mobile, etc. The US government isn't spying on people (well, in this method) outside of US-based internet and/or telecommunications. I'm pretty sure the spying doesn't include BT, Orange, O2, etc.

If you are that worried, there are steps you can take.

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    lol.

This is the closest you come to accuracy in there.

You realize that, from the very beginning, the justice system has always required "spying[sic]" on innocent people because people are innocent until proven guilty, and evidence acquired against them to be used at trial is gathered prior to said verdict? Or would you prefer some sort of system where people are pronounced guilty ab initio, and THEN evidence is provided to prove their guilt?

Alternatively you're just using the word "innocent" because it's emotive and cute, but I thought I'd be charitable and assume you were a totalitarian instead.

Tell me again how article 3 tribunals created by Congress pursuant to their Constitutional authorities entail "bypassing our own justice system?" Or are you simply completely unfamiliar with how the legal system in America works and are instead suggesting that anything that doesn't go through your local courthouse is bypassing the justice system?

Sorry, let me put on my tin foil hat and erase anything I know about the legal system and then I'll try again to see these implications of yours.

You did that when you signed up for an internet service provider, long before this decried program even existed.

Oh, right, sorry -- paranoia's only allowed when it's the EBIL GOVMENT [face_flag] but we'll trust private companies with anything.

Yeah, because you're totally being arrested as we speak. I wonder what people who actually lived under totalitarian regimes think of this hyperbolic animal manure.

10. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No, we're not! We're using a secret court that doesn't reject anything to issue broad warrants. And metadata is not protected by the Fourth Amendment, because.

Arawn_Fenn and Adam of Nuchtern like this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I. It's secret to protect the lives of intelligence assets, among other reasons. But I do love the paranoid theory that secret == sinister. Man, all those grand jury proceedings... those are TOTALLY EBIL and all criminal indictments should be protested because they're confidential!

II. Let me finish -- because of very long standing jurisprudence in analogous areas relating to communication and reasonable expectations of privacy.

12. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    ES, if pointing out reality leftist, then yeah, call me a leftie. But in my country I'm not on the left.
    As to your question - you know as well as I do that any sane intelligence gathering policy goes hand in hand with a sane foreign policy. You gotta fix one before you can fix the other. And US foreign policy has been atrocious, the past decades.

DP, it's not about me. I'm not concerned about my own communication. I'm concerned about secret and/or sensitive information falling into the wrong hands. I don't believe for a minute that all those tens of thousands of NSA employees and contracters have good intentions, or even the American interests at heart. I think it's foolish and naieve to assume they do.

13. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    It's not just paranoia, it's arrogance.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Secret doesn't automatically mean sinister, no. Being a rubber-stamper for government abuse of power (it's okay because we're not nearly as bad as the DPRK or Myanmar or the PRC) does.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Ok, fine, but I don't live in the US either. I live in the Commonwealth, and our agencies are modeled on the British ones. You've heard of MI5, no?

Ever read a non-fiction book by Peter Wright?

16. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    d'ya have any basis for suggesting it's an abuse of power, because it sounds like you're calling it an abuse just because it exists? And since I'm fairly sure you're not privy to FISC submissions, I've also gotta wonder why you think it's a rubber stamp? I know you're not inclined to believe the President's explanation that submissions aren't made to the court unless the executive branch is convinced it has probable cause, but it seems to me that crying out about abuse without actual knowledge is just a tad indefensible.

17. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    Perhaps we can have a discussion about what would replace the security state, if anything. Let's say much or even all of the data gathering went away. What happens then? What are the potential consequences of this?

No one seems to want to discuss these things.

18. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    ^ That.

Raw intelligence is without a doubt the most deathly boring stuff out there. There's a reason you pay analysts to, well, analyse it.

19. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    You understand I can answer but I cannot give specific examples, right?

EDIT: To clarify, I was never an intelligence officer (IO) but the Government at the time I worked for them was very keen on inter-agency cooperation. As my role had a significant border security and counter-terrorism capacity I was cleared for certain material, which is all on a need-to-know basis. So I understand what intelligence actually looks like; how rigorous the dissemination of that intelligence is (you can't just browse secrets; all your access to S/TS material is rigorously logged. Need to know only).

So in general terms, I can explain what it's used for it and how it informs the state. I'm not going to say, "For example, we learned X which gave an advantage in Y."

20. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    This being the CRUCIAL point, because Super Watto and a great many other people are operating under the absurd assumption that government employees are running around reading their private messages over chips and beer, or something.

I mean bloody hell, it's far more likely (and in fact, does happen) that hospital employees are reading your electronic medical records (see: the scandals that happen every time a celebrity checks into a hospital) but do we see the public whipped into a hysteria about that? Nope, because it's never been a movie plot or part of the insipid American fear of any and all forms of government.

The likelihood of anybody CARING about what any of us here has to say is so low so as to be ridiculous. Do you guys realize just how much CRAP there is on the internet? There aren't enough human beings in the entire government to sort through it all, even if every last person was reassigned to do it.

But why have facts when we can just run around in paranoid fear (it's a wonder people like that don't shudder in fear from walking outside, because you know anybody can be filming them with a camera phone!1!)?? Nevermind though -- it's those people who are the real thinkers here.

DarthTunick likes this.
  21. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Nice combination of misrepresenting my point and displaying obliviousness to the actual nature of the problem.

22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I'd like it if you actually made a point and told us what the actual nature of the problem was instead of accusing everyone who disagrees with you of magically not seeing it. You're the one who says there's a problem, so you have to prove it.

This is like the Zoo thread again, where you spent all your time accusing people of being terrible without ever getting around to making a point. Is this what we do in the Senate? Maybe I need to go back to the JCC.

23. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    For convenience sake, here are all your posts in the thread -- the closest thing I see to "the actual point" is some nebulous philosophical outrage at the idea of secrecy.

24. SuperWatto

Sep 19, 2000
    Thanks. It's the first and third quote right there.
    An additional point is made in the eighth quote.
    As with the zoo thread, the fact that you disagree does not make a sentiment unworthy of the Senate.

25. KnightWriter

Nov 6, 2001
    That gets at one reason that my concern is maybe a bit less than one would think-- I feel like there's relative safety in numbers. There's so much data floating around that no one could ever hope to actually pass their eyes over it. Any one person's personal life can come under very direct scrutiny, and that's where some of the real issues are, but in general, I believe there's a major logistical problem when it comes to the amount of data that is being recorded.

Ender-- do you feel that maybe too much data is being taken in, and that it hinders the overall effectiveness of data analysis?