main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Diplomatic Meditation - Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan - one post - drama, humor

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jan 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Title: Diplomatic Meditation
    Author: ardavenport
    Timeframe: pre-Episode I, pre-TPM
    Genre: drama, humor
    Characters: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, OCs
    Keywords: Obi-Wan Kenobi, Qui-Gon Jinn, Jedi, Sith, holocron
    Summary: Obi-Wan uses diplomacy. Qui-Gon uses seniority
    Notes: Typo is my middle name, with missing words and errors that spell checkers do not catch being my speciality - if you see any, just post a reply or send a PM with the what and where and I will kill them with no mercy.
    Disclaimer: All characters and the Star Wars universe belong to George and Lucasfilm; I am just playing in their sandbox.

Primate Crevaz climbed the short steps to the stage platform and beamed down at the assemblage below. A Humanoid of middle years, stoutly built with golden skin and silvery hair, he stood resplendent in layered white ecclesiastic kaftans. His cylindrical hat reached a third his own height over his head, glittering with intricate, curling patterns that matched the wide borders of his clothes, along the sleeves and on the hem.

"We have all done well." The gathering hall's speaking enhancers amplified his voice. One hand on his tall staff of office, the glittering headpiece of it rising higher that the crown of his hat.

"We know each other much better than we did three days ago," he beamed, proud of their accomplishments, "though we may not like each other any better. We now know we can work together on a common cause."

Many in the assemblage of over a hundred people seated on the floor cushions in a semi-circle under him looked neither happy nor content. But the group of negotiators in the middle were no longer wasting their energy and initiative insulting each other, especially the senior ones in the front. They had regained their focus on their duty. And they had learned to unite in at least one common cause.

They now all thoroughly loathed Primate Crevaz. Who had made them suffer through three days of contemplative exercises that included:
    - staring practice
    - making lists of one another's good points
    - discussing their feelings and then play acting them
    - banning negative words
    - good and bad hand holding
    - non-verbal communications drills
    - long group meditations led by the Primate.

Sitting on the far left of the stage with other observers to the proceedings, Qui-Gon Jinn did not expect any newfound mutual respect from the participants who had needlessly complicated the already delicate negotiations with their own personal animosities. But thanks to a determined, popular and respected religious leader, they could at least continue on with their work.

Qui-Gon exchanged a brief look with his twenty-four year old Padawan, Obi-Wan Kenobi, a shared, covert glance under their brown hoods. The Jedi Knights had been sent to the Primate's diplomatic retreat, a sign from the Galactic Republic of how seriously they took these proceedings. The Republic's ambassador, who had been following the negotiations since the beginning, sat with his four staff members in the row behind them. The two Jedi sat cross-legged on cushions next to each other in the front row, closest to the side of the stage.

Neither the Galactic Republic nor any of the outer rim systems had any authority over the disputed navigation corridor past the Hizquak Nebula, but they all certainly cared if the route became impassable because of the ancient competition between the Greeov System and Nikkrck Union. In ten-thousand years that narrow route would become impassable because of the expanding nebula, but for now, there was something worth fighting over.

The Greeov and Nikkrck ambassadors sat, front and center, on their raised green cushions under the crystalline dome in the bright hall; random shards of color scattered from the morning light, caught and fragmented by the angular geometric patterns above.

"After this morning, you," Crevaz extended a hand, glittering rings decorating his fingers, to the Reeov ambassador, Chazkuz, "and you," the Nikkrck ambass

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005

[face_laugh] This was just GREAT - loved Obi-Wan's "handling" of the situation indeed as well as Qui-Gon's annoyance.

A Jedi meditation among non-Force-sensitives was impossible. But Master Qui-Gon Jinn knew exactly how to handle the situation. He extended an arm.

"My apprentice, Obi-Wan Kenobi, will lead you."

Everyone looked at Obi-Wan.

He stood, folding his arms before him. The hem of his robe dragged on the steps as he descended from the observers' platform. His Master bowed to him as he ascended the main speaker's stage and approached. And glimpsed a very irritated glare under the hood of the robe.

Qui-Gon ignored it; sometimes there were occasions for justifiable insolence, but only as long a Padawans did what they were told. Content, he went to the back of the stage and sat next to the Primate.

3. azizah

azizah Jedi Master star 1

Sep 4, 2006
    OMG [face_laugh] Poor Obi-Wan!

Your summary was perfect: Obi-Wan uses diplomacy. Qui-Gon uses seniority [face_laugh]

I enjoyed the whole thing.

4. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Loved the entire story and yes Obi is already quite a diplomat and the Negotiator.

And your names and species are always very funny:)

5. ratna

ratna Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 1, 2007
    Funny as heck, AND multi-layered! Great little piece!

6. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    As I read this story, I couldn't help but laugh at how accurate your summary was: Obi-Wan uses diplomacy. Qui-Gon uses seniority [face_laugh]

I see that the people of this world believe in the sentence "The enemy of my enemy is my friend." ;) Great quick thinking on the part of Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan to get the Primate out of the trap he got himself into! I'm sure anybody who had to go through a company programme with "experts" to improve office relations can identify with this situation. :D

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. HelloKelly

HelloKelly Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 12, 2009
    [face_laugh] So goood!

I loved this story!

You blended humor and depth perfectly!

8. dm1

dm1 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2004
    Amen to that! Just love it when they bring someone in to do those stupid trust/team building exercises when you know it won't help and probably does more to damage things than just leaving it go.

That said, I really do love my yoga classes and shivasina ("corpse pose," where you simply lay there and go through each part of the body and relax it... relax your toes, the bottoms of your feet, tops of the feet, etc.)! Just like Obi Wan's guided meditation, breathe in, breathe out! It's my own private little place to go, if only for a few minutes... Ahhh...:)

9. littleobiwankenobi

littleobiwankenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2009
    as usual a wonderful story, I always love how you write about obi and qui-gon

10. ForceForGood

ForceForGood Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 17, 2010
    It just proves once again that Obi-Wan is one clever Jedi! A very entertaining story - thank you very much!

11. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Valairy_Scot, azizah, earlybird-obi-wan, ratna, Valiowk, HelloKelly, dm1, littleobiwankenobi, ForceForGood: Thanks to all for the replies!

Yep, I think that Qui-Gon would leave Obi-Wan 'holding the bag' in some tricky situations. And Jedi techniques just wouldn't be appreciated so much for a crowd of non-Force-users .... at least not without a little Obi-Wan diplomacy added. ;)

12. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    :D

Lots of fun. Sometimes I wish I could bring a pair of Jedi to some of the awful meetings I've had to attend. It would certainly help, I think!

Your Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon make me smile as always.

13. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Glad they make you smile. :D Thanks! I think that Qui-Gon, Jedi Master that he is, would always be able to find his way around a boring meeting.

14. Raphire

Raphire Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 19, 2008
    [face_laugh] You are the master of all Qui-gon fics. Lol. I really liked this one.

I don't think I've read one of your Qui-gon peices that I didn't like.

Brava!

15. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Thank-you! :) Glad you like my Qui-Gons. [face_blush] :D

16. padawan3

padawan3 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 20, 1999
    I agree, you write some of the best Qui-Gon fiction I've read. The only competitors that come to mind typically involve long story lines that generate enough plot to express his depth. You manage to capture him in very few words, a difficult task. I especially appreciate that you do not overstate him. His character comes across without being overwhelming. Kudos!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.